Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Navigating through folders on harddisc mp3 player???

by Hinrich / March 12, 2005 11:57 AM PST

Hi!

I'm planning to buy a harddisc mp3 player (20GB) but there's one crucial feature: The possibility to navigate through folders on the mp3 player - even if the mp3 files don't have a (correct) ID3-Tag. I can't find a lot of information about that.

What players have this option?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Navigating through folders on harddisc mp3 player???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Navigating through folders on harddisc mp3 player???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Navigating Through MP3 Files
by gosfan / March 13, 2005 2:45 AM PST

I can only speak to iPods. iPods don't use folders on the player. Instead, you can search for the songs through the song title, artist, album name, and genre. iTunes (the software used with the iPod on your computer) also organizes information this way, although iTunes does store the songs in folders on your hard drive.

When you put the songs on your computer (before you put them on the iPod), you can use iTunes to correct the tags before putting them on the player. iTunes will automatically generate at least part of the song's ID tag based on the file name. If some of the information is missing, iTunes will leave it blank, allowing you to fill it in later.

iTunes also allows you to set the version of the ID tag you want to use. My car's MP3 player will only understand version 1.0 and 1.1 tags.

Collapse -
Re: Navigating Through MP3 Files
by Hinrich / March 13, 2005 6:50 AM PST

Thanks for the response, but what I'm looking for is a MP3 player that can be loaded with MP3 files with drag-and-drop (in the Windows Explorer) without the need of a proprietary software - that disqualifies apple's iPods.
And the player should be able to let me navigate through folders.

Does anybody know what players are out there that have those abilities?

Collapse -
Folder Navigation of MP3 Files
by gosfan / March 14, 2005 10:53 AM PST

I only had a player for a short time but the Creative Nomad might let you load using Windows Explorer to load the songs by using the player as an external hard drive. Apple does allow the use of an iPod as an external hard drive, but not for use by the music player. If I remember correctly, the music files are in a hidden file system within the player.

In my opinion the reason that propriety software tends to be the only way to load songs on a player is to reduce the possibility of piracy. It allows control of the music that can be placed on the player and the types of files that can be actually stored on it.

An example of this is with the Sony players. From what I understand, until recently only ATRAC files could be stored on their hard drive player. Imported MP3s were converted to ATRAC format.

In fact, the software that comes with Sony CD/MP3 players only allow the creation of ATRAC3/ATRAC3Plus files. To tell you the truth, I don't know if ATRAC3/ATRAC3Plus files have any advantage over MP3 (other than possibility smaller files sizes with the same sound quality).

But a possibility allowing you to use Windows Explorer (using a CD/MP3 player) is to do the following:

- Create a directory/folder on your hard drive to store the MP3s you want to listen to on your player.

- Copy the files to the directory, creating folders as needed to organize the MP3s.

- When the directory is finished, burn it to a CD and put it in the player.

- Repeat the procedure with other folders, creating a set of CDs with folders and songs arranged as you like them.

The above procedure will allow you to use drag-and-drop techniques via Windows Explorer, although it will require you to burn the files to CD in the end.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Navigating Through Folders
by Hinrich / March 14, 2005 8:30 PM PST

I found two companies whose mp3 players have this capability: iriver and Cowon iAudio.

Tomorrow I'll go the the cebit and take a closer look at their players.

Does anybody know another company that's worth looking at if the features (mentioned in my earlier post) are needed?

Collapse -
H340 by IRiver
by tristan_classen / March 15, 2005 2:15 PM PST

Please ignor people talking about Ipods. OK I love Ipod and my girlfriend bought one and its great ... but not for the Drag n Drop business you want.

I bought the 40 Gig IRiver H340 and its great. Its so easy to get music on. Just drag and drop using Windows Explorer.

So I copy all my music on, then days later, visit a friend. He has hundreds of albums on his system. I want them ... so ... Drag n Drop and now I have them too.

Can you get any easier than that!!! No, you cant.

What else ... hmmmmm. ID3 tags. The player lets you browse thru songs in the folder/file way. But you can also browse by ID3 information (eg artist, genre...)

If there is ID3 info, it will show while playing. If none, it will show the FILE NAME and FOLDER information. You will always know what is playing.

Other benefits of the IRiver player ... you can display song lyrics as the song plays. Visit the IRiver Korean site and you can find the free application to help you.

And IRiver plays Movies too. And photos. And text files. And records from any source. Plus its a strong player that doesnt smudge with fingerprints like the pretty/white Ipod.

In general I guess I'm saying I heartily recommend the IRiver H340 for people who want simple Drag n Drop music copying and playback.

Collapse -
iRiver
by Hinrich / March 16, 2005 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: H340 by IRiver

I went to the cebit today and took a look at the iRiver players. The H320 (20 GB would be enough for me) looked pretty good, but I liked the H10 [20 GB] even more, because it has a touch pad to scroll through the songs.

With the H3x0 it was annoying to scroll through the songs if you have a lot of artists (like 100) and the one you're looking for is excactly in the middle - then you have to press 50 times the "down" button.

With the iRiver H10 you could easily scroll through the folders (very fast and exact - the scroll speed can be customized). I think I'll wait a month or so until the H10 [20GB] gets a litte cheaper and buy it - it seems like the perfect player for me.

Collapse -
Navigating in the Iriver harddisck players
by Bertx / May 7, 2005 11:09 PM PDT

About the navigating with the iriver. Before i was robed last week i was owner of a hp120 iriver.

This device was nearly perfect to me. it was good sounding nice tuner, good voice recording, fast and easy music downloading. real good service and a very strong and scratch free divice.

But i3tag has some minor points.
With this system you can search on name, genre, artist but it when activated youre mp3 player will start real slow. believe me youll find it a bit ennoying.

now people are talking bout a learning curve. i didnt noticed a learning curve i think it was a bit lookin at the first time but now im changing music and artist while im on the bike.

But also take notice of the slow scroll rate. i had a lot of artists and scrolling all the way to the middle was verry ennoying. thats were i warn you for, beside that the divice is godlike:D i really luved it.and you realy wont be disapointed.
hp120 is already old but the same things are commin back in the hp300 series.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.