Storage forum

Question

NAS Media Streaming With Plex

by Tsiek13 / April 13, 2013 4:00 PM PDT

So I am kinda new with the whole idea of NAS and I am in need of some help. Basically what I have been wanting to do for a while now is buy a NAS device that can stream my media........ iTunes, Videos (lots of different file types, and some that include separate subtitle files that I normally play in VLC Media Player), pictures, etc. I would also like to be able to install a program like Plex on the NAS to allow it to stream to a box like Roku, and other laptops and TVs around the house. I mainly want to do this to avoid having to use my Macbook as a server. If there are any other programs that are capable of applying the metadata and streaming like Plex that someone could inform me on that would be helpful. I do not need a top of the line NAS, seeing as my media library is under 2 TB. Finding out what my specific NAS has to be capable of would also be a big help. I am aware I could just use a Mac Mini for my needs, but I would prefer not to buy it used, and that makes it a little bit out of my price range. Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

PS: sorry if this is not exactly the right thread, I tried looking for a more specific one.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NAS Media Streaming With Plex
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NAS Media Streaming With Plex
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 2:19 AM PDT

If you find a solution as good as VLC Player, I want to see that.

Even today I went back to a small old laptop for this work. I see you found the Mac Mini solution but what you want does not appear in the cheap NAS players.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
unRAID is your answer
by smitbret / April 30, 2013 4:33 AM PDT

IMO opinion, if the box is just going to be used for central storage and streaming with Plex, then unRAID is going to be the way to go. It's a simple LInux based OS that boots from a flash drive. If you have any old PC parts lying around you can usually build the system out of them. It also has a free Plex plugin that will fit your needs quite nicely. Your ability to stream Plex will depend on how powerful the CPU is that you put into the box.

www.limetechnology.com

Other options might include setting up a system with Windows Home Server 2011. It is a Win 7 based OS but is geared towards Home Servers and costs about $50. You can install Plex on it like you do any other OS. I think I'd go unRAID, though because the Hardware Requirments are lower. You could literally run unRAID with an old dual-core and 1GB of memory and whatever HDDs you have lying around.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.