The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Napster.. Not so fast. Amazon mp3 still rules

by tashman / May 20, 2008 10:42 AM PDT

Ok, I went to napster and was going to check it out. I tried to purchase an mp3 song for $0.99 however before I could purchase it I had to get an account... Easy enough I thought.. Except for the fact that you have to signup for there monthly plan just to purchase the mp3.. Error, Error... Go back to Amazon..

Napster nice try but I'll stick with amazon.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Napster.. Not so fast. Amazon mp3 still rules
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Napster.. Not so fast. Amazon mp3 still rules
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Napster.. Not so fast. Amazon mp3 still rules
by wizkids32 / May 21, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

Right I wanted to by a song and they wanted me to sign up too I will stick to Amazon and iTunes instead of Napster and tell they get it right.

Collapse -
Amazon asks that you sign up too. As does iTunes.
by minimalist / May 21, 2008 11:03 AM PDT

They all link to a credit card on file to complete purchases so there doesn;t seem to be anything new here. Is there something I am missing? Being web based also means Napster has opened itself up to Mac and Linux users (as long as you use Firefox) which is a positive move in my mind. Rhapsody is really lame in this regard.

I still love Amazon and will probably use Napster as a last resort before I use iTunes. Even if iTunes was completely DRM free I am done with AAC's, protected or not. I am sticking with 256 or 320 kbps mp3s or higher.

I do think all the hoopla about Napster and Amazon finally giving iTunes real competition is a bit overdramatic. Amazon has been around for over half a year and during that year iTunes has skyrocketed past the top two music retailers. Even when the record companies refuse to let them drop DRM in hopers they can break their dominance, iTunes is still leaving eveyone in the dust. Which leads me to believe that those of us who think DRM-free music is so important for the general population are being naive. At least of us who do care have a couple of choices now. I love Apple hardware and sofware but I won't commit to them for life by buying their AACs.

Collapse -
My Family is Mostly iPod
by Renegade Knight / May 23, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

We buy on Amazon because itunes is a PITA. The iPods being easy to use is the only saving grace.

Collapse -
after I played around with Napster a bit more
by minimalist / May 25, 2008 1:05 AM PDT

it appears you don't have to sign up for a subscription plan, you just have to register (as you would with any other site).

However, it has a clunky, badly designed interface. Its totally understandable that people couldn't figure out how to buy complete albums because the tiny button you press to do so is vaguely labeled as "mp3" next to the album title.

And I haven;t found anything on Napster that I wasn't available on Amazon so I'm not sure the larger catalog is going to matter to me.

Collapse -
Amazon rocks.
by robert.allen / May 26, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

I started using Amazon via the Pepsi Stuff promotion. It's absolutely outstanding! I won't buy from iTunes again. (Come to think of it, as much Pepsi as I drink on a monthly basis I haven't bought a single MP3 yet through Amazon. Just been getting them for free.)

Collapse -
I signed up too
by run_va / June 9, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Amazon rocks.

I saw the url on the label the other day so I figured I'd give it a try too. I need to look around Amazon a bit more. I've been doing the promotion with Mountain Dew too. They're not giving away music but at they're giving away prize packages for video game systems, cars, and a bunch of other cool stuff

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.