Deals forum

Question

namebrandtech.com

by maltipink / August 23, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

Hi,
Has anyone had experience ordering from "namebrandtech.com"? This is one of the sellers CNET gives for the item. I am about to buy a digital camera from them as their deal seems great. There are three ways to pay; Diners club, JCB or purchase order. They do not accept Visa or Mastercard. If you do not have either a JCB or Diners club card, you have to purchase a "green dot money pak" from a local store and send them the confirmation code. This makes me very nervous as there is no proof of me paying them (unless they send me a reciept after payment) if I use the Green Dot Money Pak. Thank you for any help you can provide

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: namebrandtech.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: namebrandtech.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I want to know too!
by ss200232 / August 23, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: namebrandtech.com

I just "purchased" my camera through them and just got the "how to pay" email. Does seem fishey - you want me to do what?!? lol

Im assuming because CNET has them on their site that it was a legit vendor.

This site says theres a little risk: http://www.scamadviser.com/is-namebrandtech.com-safe.html

This site says its legit: http://www.dealighted.com/main/page/comment/Canon_PowerShot_S95_200_Shipped_from_NameBrandTech_com_1214744?fpd=true

This forum says to avoid it: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1214744/

Yahoo wont vouch or not vouch for them: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120821052857AAwr4Ze

Is it too good to be true?!?

I guess since I havent technically payed for it I could go one way or the other...

Let me know what anyone else thinks!

Collapse -
Order complete?
by sem001 / September 10, 2012 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I want to know too!

Did you ever order and receive your camera from this company, NameBrandTech. I also place an order but am hesitating about the payment method. Concerned and don't want to lose my money. If you ordered and received, were you happy with your purchase?

Collapse -
Answer
namebrandtech.com
by maltipink / August 24, 2012 1:07 AM PDT

I decided against purchasing the camera and getting the "green dot money pack" as was instructed by their email. Interestingly, their "deal" does not show up on CNET any more but is still active on the "namebrandtech.com" web site. I have heard that if it is too good to be true, it probably is. I am going to go with my gut on this one and walk away with money still in hand.

Collapse -
Answer
namebrandtech.com
by kswaminathan9871 / September 1, 2012 7:08 AM PDT

Hi,

Did anyone got those orders shipped? I too placed an digital camera order today with this site and got an email to purchase "GreenDot MoneyPak" for the exact same price of the order. Iam too nervous to purchase the card from walmart. If anyone got your orders processed please respond.

Collapse -
Did anyone receive shipment after confermation code sent?
by qilin160k / September 2, 2012 9:29 AM PDT

Hi,

I am in the same position as kswarminathan9871. Do hope to see witness of receiving the ordered product. Anybody?

Collapse -
Answer
Almost ordered from namebrandtech.com, but just felt wrong
by JG_ET / September 3, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

I was just about to blindly purchase two unbelievably low priced "new" IPod touch units for my kids, when going through the checkout process left me wary. Instead of taking PayPal or credit card payment, the company wanted to invoice me through my Email - Invoice through Email? I assumed that since CNET linked their website it was legit, but the further I searched the more questions arose. The company site is only a little over a month old and I could not find positive customer feedback or purchase confirmation/history anywhere to be found online. All I could find is more people like me asking questions.

Unbelievably low price + sketchy payment process + no credible review history = TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE / BUYER BEWARE. I may have just passed up on an incredible deal, but like others have said, better to have your money than risk money on a questionable vendor. I hope namebrandtech.com turns out to be a great vendor; I am just not willing to be the first to take the plunge. I withdrew my order before confirming on their site. I have purchased items from other retailers on CNET in the past without a problem, but this one just is too sketchy. I trust CNET, but I am more than a little concerned how namebrandtech.com gets linked with so many question marks. If you have a positive experience with them please post.

Collapse -
Answer
ASKED CNET 9/10/12
by avisn4u / September 10, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

I just sent an email to CNET & asked them if they have vetted them? As soon as I hear from them I will post so any future customers will know if they are getting a deal for real. I am holding on ordering my Canon S 95, I want the savings if CNET says they are good to go

Collapse -
namebrandtech
by CaramelXY / September 10, 2012 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: ASKED CNET 9/10/12

Hello avisn4u, please do update this forum if you receive a reply from CNET. I'm also curious to whether www.namebrandtech.com is a reliable website or not. Thank you very much. Wink

Collapse -
Answer
UPDATE
by avisn4u / September 10, 2012 9:39 AM PDT

Just got an update email from CNET:

Thank you for bringing NAMEBRANDTECH.COM to our attention. We have forwarded this matter to the Shopper.com Team for review. They will investigate the merchant you reported and verify whether or not they comply with our standards of quality as a CNET Certified Store. You should hear back from them in aproximately one week.

Collapse -
I ordered from Namebrandtech!
by JRsurfing / September 10, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: UPDATE

The only reason I trusted this company is because I got the info from CNET. I trust
CNET for everything! Downloads, reviews, etc.
I received an email on 9-3 stating they received payment and the unit would be shipped out the next day and I would get another email confirmation w/ tracking and all the details. Never got it!
I still haven't received the IPOD that was ordered on 9-1-2012. I have had no luck w/ the phone#.
They do not return messages. They did respond to just one email of many ..saying they would look into it.
Green Dot said my money was transferred into a card for Cornerstone Marketing. I don't know what to
do next ..call the police? Will I ever get my money back? I still need an IPOD!

Collapse -
CNET CUSTOMER CARE
by CaramelXY / September 10, 2012 4:09 PM PDT

Subject
Concerns about manufacturer's website reliability

Discussion Thread
Response from CNET support Via Email (Pauline) 09/10/2012 11:03 PM
Hello,

The Shopper.comTeam confirmed that this merchant is not listed on our site at this time. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Pauline
CNET Customer

Collapse -
RECENTLY REMOVED
by avisn4u / September 10, 2012 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: CNET CUSTOMER CARE

CNET must have just removed it yesterday then because when I was on their website and looked at favorite picks the Canon S95 came up and Namebrandtech came up with 2 other companies with much higher prices so of course I was interested because it was on CNET website!!! I'm glad I dug a little more!!! JRsurfing, I am so sorry you got scammed, maybe CNET would be willing to help you financially, I think they may be legally responsible, it WAS on thier website. Contact them!!!

Collapse -
CNET's responsibility?
by JRsurfing / September 12, 2012 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: CNET CUSTOMER CARE

Hello Pauline, CNET, and bloggers,
My name is John and I often look to CNET for the information out there in our tech. society.
Actually it was my mom that suggested I do my homework and look into product reviews and see
what they cost on CNET.
On September 1st 2012 I purchased an IPod from a direct link ..not an advertisement. I assumed it
was a legitimate company being posted on CNET. The name of this company was Namebrandtech.
This websight looked really good! It was professional looking and had all the bells and whistles on it.
I did have a little concern about the "Green Dot Money Pack" purchase order because I usually check out
w/ "Pay Pal". I only went ahead w/ the order because I felt CNET had my back ..It was trusted.
I've contacted "Green Dot" . They launched an investigation. Then they tell me it's not their responsibility.
It's like cash and my money and it has been taken from my card. They told me I can contact the police.
I can't believe there are people that would set up a scam like this! I can't believe CNET would be in business w/ scammers! I don't want this to happen to anyone else! I just want my money back or an IPOD!

Collapse -
Answer
HMMMMM
by avisn4u / September 10, 2012 11:38 PM PDT

CNET must have just removed it yesterday then because when I was on their website and looked at favorite picks the Canon S95 came up and Namebrandtech came up with 2 other companies with much higher prices so of course I was interested because it was on CNET website!!! I'm glad I dug a little more!!! JRsurfing, I am so sorry you got scammed, maybe CNET would be willing to help you financially, I think they may be legally responsible, it WAS on thier website. Contact them!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.