Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Name Change for Existing Network?

by DanPatrick / August 11, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

Can I change the name of an existing Windows network? There are several hard wired computers on our network and a wireless component, as well.

Our connection is DSL, the modem for which feeds a Linksys router, one hardwire connection from that, a Linksys wireless-G modem. It all works well, but I'd like to change the name of the network.

First of all, is that possible and if so, how would I go about doing it? What are the steps that I would have to carry out on one or all of the computers?

Thanks, Dan

Windows XP Pro

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Name Change for Existing Network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Name Change for Existing Network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You basically..........
by Trance_Zac / August 12, 2006 4:40 PM PDT

Have to start over.............

In Control Panel of the Main Computer, open "Network Set Up Wizard" it will prompt you to name the computer just as when first setting up a Network.

Just type in a new name - Repeat for all other computers on the Network

The Wizard will guide you thru step by step

Collapse -
What name?
by john_mcdoogle / August 13, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

There are several possibilities for what could be considered the network "name".

Do you mean the workgroup for the computers on the network, do you mean the wireless SSID, do you mean the host name of individual computers, do you mean something else?

Some of these require changes to be made to each computer, some can be changed in a single place, so it all depends on what you call the network "name".

Collapse -
Changing Network Name - Oops
by DanPatrick / August 14, 2006 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: What name?

Ah, I see I've made a newbie mistake and said network instead of workgroup. I want to change the workgroup name. Frankly, it's now my family name and I don't want it showing up on someone's wireless connection list if they are within range, whether they can get past the password or not. I'd like to change it to something less identifiable. Can I do that and if so, how?
Thanks, Dan

Collapse -
Workgroup or SSID?
by john_mcdoogle / August 14, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

The workgroup is a common name computers use for sharing files. The SSID is the name given to your wireless network.

It sounds like you're talking about the SSID, so I'll go on that assumption.

You need to go into your router's configuration system and change the SSID. Different router firmwares may call it something other than SSID, but you said it was your family name, so just change that. Then you need to go round to every computer and make sure they're configured to connect to the new SSID. After you've done that, I would suggest turning off SSID Broadcast on your router, which will keep the network from showing up on a casual scan. Someone would have to be within range with a wireless signal detector to tell you have a network going. Windows may need a little extra configuring to make this work, but it's added security. I also suggest turning on MAC Address filtering. Just be sure to add the MAC Addresses of the network cards for the systems you want to access the network BEFORE turning this feature on. Once done, it's another nice layer of security that makes it harder for potential trespassers to your network to gain a foothold. Finally, if you're router supports it, make sure you're using WPA2 encryption. Next best choice is WPA, and WEP is last, being only marginally better than nothing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.