Mac Hardware forum

Rant

Myth of MAC 'intuitive' ease of use

by DGinGA4 / March 1, 2013 6:15 AM PST

I've had a Mac for 2 years now. Recently, I wanted to scan some trading cards being sold. This task was very laborious - there's no built in software to do so. One can scan images, but not crop or edit them (without buying Photoshop).
With Mac, one can't select text to print or save without a multistep clipboard process.
Searching directories with Finder is kludgy at best. I can open two Explorer screen in XP, and instantly move files from one to another.
My 5 year old Windows XP does all these tasks in seconds, with just a few clicks. None of the Mac-to-Windows pages were helpful at all.
I like the Mac's boot up speed and relative security from hacking, so my financials go on it - but for ease of use, it is worse than DOS 3.1.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Myth of MAC 'intuitive' ease of use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Myth of MAC 'intuitive' ease of use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would you like to discuss the free apps for this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 6:24 AM PST

You lead with a claim that you must buy PhotoShop. I don't want to upset you but are you open to free apps for that?
Bob

Collapse -
Take your Mac back to the store, it's obviously defective!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 10:34 PM PST

I can use Preview to View, Crop and Edit pictures,
I can use Image Capture to get stuff of my Scanner.
I can use my scanners software to do the same thing,
I can have as many windows open as I want and am free to drag from one window to the other

In view of the above, I dispute your claim that one has to buy Photoshop.

I'll agree that searching in Finder is not as good as it could be but Spotlight will find just about anything really quickly.
I also us a free app called Easy Finder. As a search tool it is very good.

I agree with the printing thing but, to be fair here, the "print only the selection" is a Driver function and not the function of the OS, Windows or XP. Perhaps, in this case, the ire should be directed at the printer driver writer as both MS and Apple get their printer drivers from the same place, the printer manufacturer.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.