Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mystery Files in TEMP Folder

by pepperkay / December 18, 2005 10:35 PM PST

Hi All:

Just yesterday, I started getting some strange files in the TEMP Folder (located in Documents and Settings) ...

Here are 2 examples:

sqlite_2oRFEX2SK0bVcQP

CMLS-2005-12-18-07-41-08.log

There are 4 of the first example and more than 200 of the 2nd ... the total size is approx. 350 Kb ...

I'm using W-XP Home and a brand new computer ...

Have never seen anything like these before ...

Suggestions ?? ...

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mystery Files in TEMP Folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mystery Files in TEMP Folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Googled using just the
by retired / December 18, 2005 10:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Mysterious TEMP Files ...
by pepperkay / December 19, 2005 3:29 AM PST

Thanks so much for the info ... I didn't even think to Google them ...

However, here's the rub ... where do they come from and how did I get them ?? ...

I've added nothing in the way of hardware or software in the last several months ...

Thanks agian,

Collapse -
I was hoping you would not ask that(LOL)
by retired / December 19, 2005 7:19 AM PST

I really don't have a clue. You did not install them so they may have arrived uninvited while you were visiting web sites?? as just surfing junk. See if you can find any reference to them as a program in The control panel Add/Remove and uninstall them. If you do not already have these you may want to consider installing them.

This will stop most spyware from getting in.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

This will clean out the temp files.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

this will clean out spyware

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Collapse -
If in your TEMP directory...
by Edward ODaniel / December 20, 2005 1:22 AM PST

they are a product of some app you are running (either conciously or as a result of a trojan or other reason).

If in your Temporary Internet Files directory they are a result of browsing some specific site on the Internet.

Fortunately you can OPEN any of them in Notepad to see if you can gain any clues without any danger of running some script.

Collapse -
Mystery Files in TEMP Folder
by pepperkay / December 20, 2005 2:51 AM PST

Hi:

These files are in the TEMP folder, not in the TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES folder and are located in the Documents and Settings folder on the C Drive ...

I OPENed one of the 'sqlite' files with Notepad and get a message that reads:

''This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'' ...

So much for trying to 'get in' ...

I have again examined everything I can think of and again, am confident I have installed no new software nor hardware in months ...

These files just appeared yesterday - 12/19/05 ...

I use McAfee Virus Scan, AOL Spyware, AdAdvisor, Spybot, Spyblaster and am ready to download and use one of the programs suggested by a CNet Forum member yesterday ...

I'll keep all posted and if anyone else has some suggestions, please let me hear from you ...

Thanks,

Collapse -
Then try...
by Edward ODaniel / December 31, 2005 1:58 AM PST

COPYING the file to another location.

I OPENed one of the 'sqlite' files with Notepad and get a message that reads:

''This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'' ...

So much for trying to 'get in' ...

Once you have copied the file to another directory you should have no problem opening the copy of the file.

Collapse -
Mysterious Temp Files
by Gladys_Kravitz / December 9, 2011 3:10 PM PST

I to had those files and was getting 1 for every day so they were adding up I finally did some research and they are coming from Ad-Aware Security Tool Bar.....Once I removed it in my add and remove programs I was able to delete the files and now I don't get anymore of them.....Hope this helps you out .....Also if you installed C/NET Techtracker you will get the same files in your temp folder.....

Collapse -
CMLS-yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss.log etc files in TEMP folder
by Tek_Nofile / December 30, 2005 2:35 AM PST

these are caused by the AOLsoftware.exe process, which lives deep within program files\common files\

You will see one with the time and date of every reboot (sigh)

Collapse -
MYSTERY Files in TEMP Folder
by pepperkay / December 30, 2005 6:41 AM PST

Ah, I wish it were so easy ...

The files you've mentioned are not the type of files I'm seeing in the TEMP Folder in Documents & Settings/HP Owner/Local Settings ... these are of the: SQLITE variety ...

I did check deep down in the AOL files in the COMMON files but saw nothing of time/date indications anywhere ...

Gotta keep looking ...

Still have no idea why I would all of a sudden get all these SQLITE files as I've installed no software, downloaded or otherwise in months ...

Thanks,

Collapse -
Pepperkay.. I've had the same in my Temp folder..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 30, 2005 7:11 AM PST

and every once in a while, I go on an obsesseive rampage trying to figure it out.

Besides 4 of MSAS's files in the Temp folder, I do have 2 of the ''sqlite'' files, which will disappear the next day. I suspect those two files are coming from one of my other similar programs. But I can't be sure.

For what it's worth, I don't use AOL. I do use McAfee and also have SpywareBlaster and Spybot.

I've given up on it, as it's an excercize in futility. In the end.. they disapppear only to show themselves again at a later date. I'm totally convinced it's nothing to worry about. Having said that, I can understand your curiousity. Wink

If you do find out.. I wouldn't mind my curiousity being satisfied!

Carol

(Maybe if I suddenly had 200 files, I'd be a bit more curious... but I wouldn't be too concerned about the sqlite files at this point. IMHO)

Collapse -
Try
by Themisive / December 31, 2005 12:45 AM PST

Deleting these files and see what happens. Have you run scans with Spybot and Ad-aware? If so, what do they come up with, also try http://www.ewido.net/en/, it's only a 14 day trial, but hopefully you should have got rid of them by then

What do you use for a firewall - that could be more than a little leaky.

Collapse -
I've tried..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 31, 2005 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Try

deleting. The sqlite files won't delete. (Perhaps they could with Move on Boot or a similar app, but I'm not bothered enough to make the effort)

I have Spybot, Ad-Aware, Shredder, MSAS, A

Collapse -
Mystery Files TEMP - SQL ??
by pepperkay / January 2, 2006 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Try

I have, update and use AdAware, SpyBot, McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall, Spyware Blaster, ewindo (?), CCleaner and one other ...

Have been on AOL for more than 10 years and discount any of these coming thru AOL based on past performance ...

I have been able to delete about 50% of the SQL files ... I did try copying them to a New Folder but was unable to do so, receiving an error message that the 'process was being used by another process - close that process' ...

That's the whole point ... if I knew what process was causing the cretion of these files, I could close, delete, quarantine it, then dump these SQL files, then dump the causation file/folder/program ...

Thanks,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.