Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Mystart Incredibar Removal

by WraineGaming / November 23, 2012 12:12 PM PST

Hello, recently i have noticed a change in my Google Chrome Broswer. Everytime I open a new tab instead of showing the plain omnibox it pops up with Mystart Incredibar search. I have looked around and seen people talking about this redirect virus. I have fully scanned in safe mode with Malware Bytes and it didn't detect anything. I saw someone say ADWCleaner will remove it but idk if it is a safe program. How can I locate the files and registries to remove this completely from my Computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mystart Incredibar Removal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mystart Incredibar Removal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
CNET downloader infected me! beware!
by DebraNtheSth / December 6, 2012 2:42 AM PST

The only program I found to remove it was spybot. I started up in safemode, scanned, removed. Then I had to go to each browser and remove it as the home page and as a search engine manually.

Collapse -
Remove Mystart Incredibar
by JiniOnline / December 6, 2012 6:36 PM PST

Remove Mystart Incredibar using add and remove program in control panel.

Collapse -
Incredibar = Nasty
by Guidemaker Dave / December 7, 2012 6:34 AM PST

I've encountered this today and it's been a royal pain to eliminate.

One thing to look for is a c:\user.js file. I noticed this file on my system today, and sure enough it was filled with browser preferences pointing to incredibar.

Also, run Spybot Search & Destroy. (avail. at CNET's Download.com site) That will flush out the references in your registry. Delete those registry entries.

In Control Panel > Programs and Features, remove anything from the Publisher Incredibar. And if you see a program name IB, delete it. It's from Incredibar.

It's infected my IE, Firefox, and Chrome and I've been spending the day trying to eradicate this termite from my hard drive. After deleting the user.js, I 'believe' I may have been successful.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Incredibar solution
by tonycarnes / December 11, 2012 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Incredibar = Nasty

Guidemaker Dave's advice to remove programs form Incredibar and IB worked. Thanks.

Collapse -
Guidemaker thank you
by fishetti / January 7, 2013 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Incredibar = Nasty

Actually all I had to do was download Spybot Search and Destroy. Running it took some patience- I had to do it several times- but it WORKED! THANK YOU DAVE- YOU RULE

Collapse -
More files found...
by Guidemaker Dave / December 7, 2012 6:52 AM PST

I've also noticed in my Program Files (x86) directory, there's a new folder structure: Perion > NewTab > data.txt and newTab.crx.

The newTab.crx is a Google Chrome Browser Extension Archive file, and the data.txt file contains a url pointing to http://mystart.incredibar.com/.....

Delete this whole Perion sub-folder structure.

Collapse -
mystart removal.
by bbonzai / December 9, 2012 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: More files found...

thanks to guidemaker. I had tried several approaches based on other solutions offered on different sites but for me, going to chrome extensions worked.
start on the chrome customize and control button, on the far right on the address line on my system. under tools, select extensions and look for the annoying "magnifying glass" symbol and disable and delete.

Collapse -
removal of mystart
by svj230 / January 28, 2013 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: mystart removal.

I did this and it worked! Thank you so much for sharing!

Collapse -
Suffered from Babylon
by markj2911 / February 3, 2013 10:00 PM PST

There are many more rubbish search engine come into action when download something.
I was suffered from Babylon Search Engine. Now finally, i get rid from all of these search engines.

Collapse -
by lucky7m / February 7, 2013 2:36 AM PST

Not only Babylon, Yontoo is also associated with Incredibar products. It may also come bundled with WhiteSmoke toolbar.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.