Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

MyBook Mirror Edition 2 Tb won't stop searching

by Bimmicus / March 25, 2010 5:38 AM PDT

I've only had this drive for a few weeks, but I've noticed a tendency for the thing to always be running even when there's nothing for it to do. The head will click and gronk around continuously, the status light cycling over and over again. This generates a fair amount of heat in the drive after a while, and I imagine it'll wear down a lot faster if this keeps up.

I've tried several different approaches to solve this, including many wipes and reloads. At its worst, the drive would grind away even if the computer was asleep or the drive disconnected from the computer. A few times this happened immediately following a reformat on a supposedly "erased" (but not zeroed) disk. Nothing seemed to solve it.

Western Digital recommended that I try plugging it into a different outlet, which I did. This has calmed it down somewhat, but the problem mostly persists, and I continue to get frequent "drive in use" errors when I attempt to eject the disk, even though ? as far as I can tell ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MyBook Mirror Edition 2 Tb won't stop searching
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MyBook Mirror Edition 2 Tb won't stop searching
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dragthing may be the culprit here
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 25, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

If it gets riled up again, quit that app and see if it calms down again.

Check that you have the latest version of that app.

Collapse -
Still behaving randomly
by Bimmicus / March 25, 2010 1:16 PM PDT

Not responding to DragThing this time, and yet another "disk could not be ejected because it is in use" warning. Something keeps accessing this drive, but what?

Collapse -
Could be spotlight
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 25, 2010 9:57 PM PDT

In Spotlight preferences, mark that external as off limits to the indexing by Spotlight.

See what happens then

Collapse -
Spotlight does not seem to be indexing when it happens...
by Bimmicus / March 26, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be spotlight

... but I'll try blocking the drive anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Heat seems to be a factor here. I let the drive sit unpowered all night, turned it back on this morning, and so far all is quiet.

Collapse -
It may be worth
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 26, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

attacking the manufacturer again, after following their instructions.

Collapse -
That's probably what's going to happen...
by Bimmicus / March 26, 2010 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: It may be worth

... I just hate to admit defeat in the face of malfunctioning gizmos until I've exhausted every possibility.

Today it behaved perfectly, though I didn't use it much. Spotlight indexing's still on for the drive. I suspect it's haunted.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.