Computer Help forum

General discussion

My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself

by hwll / February 1, 2004 10:36 PM PST

My XP Home desktop keeps rebooting by itself. P4 2.4 G HT, 800 FBS and 2G ram. Useless!!!
HELP!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2004 10:50 PM PST

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

Not much revealed by you as to the history of this machine or why you have not availed yourself of warranty on such a new machine. Intel HT CPUs are less than a year old so you could make this THEIR PROBLEM.

Even with that, you may have to help the system builder figure out that you can't fit small 350 Watt power supplies and expect it to last or let PESTS, PARASITES< virus, worms or what else onto the machine.

Much like your machine, more needs to be written by you.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
by troydi33 / February 2, 2004 11:05 AM PST

Try looking at the back of the computer for a little switch that shows 110 or 220 (or 240). If it is not on 110 your computer will reboot automatically no matter what you are doing. Hope this helps. If it does, please post so I'll know if that is your problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
by hwll / February 3, 2004 5:42 AM PST

Thank you, troydi33, for responding!
No, it was not the cause. The machine was set to 115. It would boot to the point 'click the icon' part, then, as soon as the click it reboot again. Hope somebody finds an answer.
Greatly dissatisfied on 'Unstable Win XP Home'.

Collapse -
You have a warranty issue it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2004 6:45 AM PST

Between your two posts, the only item that is clear is you have a very new machine that has a defect.

XP doesn't do that reboot trick on good hardware unless a nasty virus has taken hold.

In short, get your hardware fixed.

If you want the forum member to help fix the machine, tell the forum what's inside.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 3, 2004 6:53 AM PST

Hwll,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "boot to the point click the icon" part. What icon during boot? As Bob asked further, it would sure help if you gave us a little more information about EXACTLY at what point this was happening during the boot. In addition, how old is the computer? Is this an XP upgrade, or a clean install? Have you run any spyware removal tools like Spybot or Ad-Aware, or a good, and up to date antivirus prgram?

In the meantime, please try rebooting into "Safe Mode", then shut down all the background programs using the paragraph below:

Cick on Start-Run, in the typing area put "msconfig" (without the quotes), press Ok. When the System Configuration Utiltiy box opens, click on the Start Up tab. You will see a number of listings with boxes and check marks in them. You can safely uncheck many of the boxes. Don't uncheck your Virus Scan startup programs. After you?re done, click ?Apply?, then 0K, and the computer will ask you to restart. Do it and then check your resources again. Hopefully they are much higher.(Don't worry too much, if you make a mistake you can always go back to this box and put a check back in any of the listings you want)

If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in "msconfig", post back, or check for yourself at these sites: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php or here?s the direct link to the list: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php . At the first link, which is probably the most comprehensive, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the "The Programs" section and click on the "Full List" link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My XP desktop keeps rebooting by itself
by hwll / February 3, 2004 12:04 PM PST

Thank you Grif. The exact point of repeated rebooting happens after clicking Name Icon, which is the next screen of Windows XP Home Edition. In normal situation "Welcome" screen comes next. Instead it reboots, going thru disk check (no problem), and so on. Checked heat situation...left a side panel left open. This is a clean install and has been working well up to this point. I assembled the unit so I am quite interested in knowing "Any Hardware" problems. And I recall it acted like this in one morning at the very first boot. ??? ...At this point I am almost ready to go thru reformat and reinstall course.
In the mean time my steady trust worthy ME second edition would have to do.
Maybe somebody would kindly guide me thru a way to re-install Win XP with saving all the settings and favorites including email contacts.

Collapse -
Parting is such sweet sorrow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2004 10:13 PM PST

After a few requests, nothing written about the hardware so maybe I wasn't clear about asking for such information.

Imagine if you had some P4X266 board that I've witnessed all at the office develop such anomilies due to the bad capacitor issue? But while I have a list of such motherboards and power supplies, you've kept the clues to yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in finding your issue, but I can only ask for the information to help you out.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Parting is such sweet sorrow.
by hwll / February 3, 2004 11:32 PM PST

Thank you Bob for your concern and help. Parting? Never! I will come back after trying something else on software optimizing area, such as, trying to get to restore function of Win XP on boot up. My MoBo is from Intel D865GLCL with P4 2.4G and 2G PC-3200 DDR 400. I tried disabling HT but did not work. The rest is all quite dependable DVD-Rom and DVD-RW drives. Any advises are all welcome and appreciated and I am sure I will be calling for HELP.

Collapse -
That's a big clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2004 11:56 PM PST

Drop the machine back to ONE STICK of RAM.

Supply MORE information about what's in the machine such as video, audio, power supply Watts (I'd like to see 450) and more.

I know its tough, but this information might find the issue.

In closing, that 2GB of RAM may require the LATEST BIOS from Intel or special settings. I will not know what settings either because I don't know what BIOS revision you have, what Intel model board you have (they made a lot of 865 boards). But the BIOS defaults with just one stick of RAM is where I'd start.

Bob

Collapse -
D865GLC memory
by omichaud / July 2, 2009 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a big clue.

Bob,

Based on the information in the manual for the board - ( http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865glc/BFLC_English.pdf on page 35 ) The advise to attempt one stick of RAM would be somewhat ill advised.

If you have a couple of spare compatible and matched speed sticks of RAM handy or can try the ones you have in another machine that might rule out the RAM as an issue but the test of one stick at a time would always fail them on this board - as with many other of the Intel 8xx series boards that require the memory to be added in matched pairs.

If the memory were actually failing - you would likely only get POST beep tones any/or in the case of some machines error light indications on the I/O riser ( Some Dell PCs have that feature )

Collapse -
Advice stands.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: D865GLC memory

I have to deal with hundreds of machines a year. I will continue to share any troubleshooting method we use in the shop. For those that will stick to the manual your only choice would be to replace parts or call Intel or others.

Good luck in your repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
Hwll, You Mention.. "It's Been Doing Well Up To This Point'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 12:12 AM PST

...did you add any hardware that might be "taxing" to the power supply? How many watts is your power supply? With the amount of hardware you have installed, hopefully you have 400 watts or so. If not, you should. In addition, since you mentioned that it's doing fine so far, have you tried rebooting into "Safe Mode", then using System Restore? Follow the procedures below:

Restart the computer, pressing the F8 key once per second, till it loads a selection screen. Use the up and down arrows to select "Safe Mode", press enter, and the computer will load into a safe mode. It looks like a normal screen but with Safe Mode in each of the four corners. When you?re done, restart the machine and it will boot normally.

How To Use System Restore

And if you need to:

How To Repair Windows XP

How To Install Windows XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Hwll, You Mention..
by hwll / February 4, 2004 5:16 AM PST

Hi, Grif. Thank you. I looked at the power source, it was rated at 400W (How much I can count on it is another issue). While we are on the subject, could you suggest trust worthy, steady, silent power source? Well, let me put in another way. What the Power source/sources you are using now? I will try that safe mode thing. Thank you again and appreciate for the excellent resources you provided.

Collapse -
Hwll, About Power Supplies
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2004 5:34 AM PST

If you've got a 400 Watt Power Supply now, I'm not sure that you should have a problem, UNLESS the PS is faulty. Bob Proffitt posted an excellent article from Tom's Hardware, which reviewed a few power supply units and indicated some good options. The article includes a number of pages, but it's well worth reading. Here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:FINALLY, my XP desktop was successfully revived, THANKS!!!
by hwll / February 4, 2004 9:57 PM PST

F8, F8, F8, and Win XP option menu, safe mode, restore WORKED! Clicking on last successful boot did not work. I thank all of you in these CNet Forums for giving me a bunch of wonderous experiences by offering me the resources to go thru. My parting thought from this thread is that the software still is a lot of problems (and fun) and will be, and a near perfect OS in future would be as dependable as current day hardwares.

Collapse -
(NT) Hwll, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 5, 2004 7:52 AM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.