Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My word document transformed to symbols.

by Casseyluver / June 28, 2009 11:00 AM PDT

Hello, all. I ran a search, but could not find this particular problem previously discussed.

Situation:I typed a word document, saved it successfully, made edits,resaved, etc. I attempted to print it, and when I did, it printed as a page of weird symbols. I thought the printer was offline, did a reboot. When I accessed my document again, it was now a whole page of symbols.

It is saved appropriately as a .doc file; luckily, I had sent an attachment to my lap top which sent successfully so I do have a "clean" copy. the problem is, several of my word documents now appear as a page of symbols.

I am running a virus scan as we speak, but in the meantime any hints? Thank you in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My word document transformed to symbols.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My word document transformed to symbols.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2009 11:25 PM PDT

This may be just another lost document. There are hundreds of reasons for this to happen so I will not list those but move on to the sad part of the story. Here it is. "We only lose what we didn't backup."

Any work worth saving is worth saving in many places and many copies. This way you can go back to the prior version or a good copy.

Those that don't backup eventually learn why so much is written about it.

Then again you will occasionally find someone yell "Don't talk to me about backup, I want my files back!"

Collapse -
Jumbled document
by Casseyluver / June 30, 2009 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

I did save my document, several times while working on it. I hadn't done a back up since it was still a work in progress.

I actually don't back up my personal "stuff" on a daily basis, more like on a monthly basis, never really had any trust issues with saving to my hard drive before this.

Anyway, the problem must have originated in the printer; I rebooted both machines, the documents re-appeared in correct format.

Collapse -
Saving multiple times versus
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2009 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Jumbled document

I have such works. I don't "save it multiple times" but save them as "version 1.1" version 1.2" and so on. Word has that handy Save As item in the File menu which makes this all too easy.

Glad that a reboot brought it back.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.