Laptops forum

Question

My Verizon Air Card Stopped Working After HDD Replacement

by dominiquederousseau / May 18, 2012 7:57 AM PDT

Can someone help me here?

I installed a Windows 7 hard drive that I had used in my HP laptop onto my Toshiba A215 laptop. After this replacement, my Verizon Air Card stopped working. The Verizon Air Card works fine if I undo the replacement. That is, if I continue to use the hard drive with Windows Vista, the Verizon Air card works fine. The HP laptop is also able to use the Verizon Air Card. Consequently, it's only when I replace the original hard drive in the Toshiba A215 that originally runs Windows Vista that the card stops. When I go to the Control Panel of the Toshiba, I notice there are yellow exclamation marks. So that tells me drivers have not installed completely. Here are the specs for my Toshiba laptop:
Processor: AMD Turion64 X2 TL-56 1.8GHz 512KB x2 L2 Cache 1600MHz FSB
Chipset: RS690

Screen: 15.4" Glossy

WXGA 1280x800
Memory: 2GB DDR2 PC5300 2 Slots, 0 Open 4GB Max
Hard Drive: 250 GB Fujitsu 4200RPM (MHX2250BT)
Graphics Card: 128-319MB Shared Mobility Radeon X1200
Wireless: Atheros AR5007EG B/G

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Verizon Air Card Stopped Working After HDD Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Verizon Air Card Stopped Working After HDD Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Windows does not support transplants.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2012 8:12 AM PDT

Before I give any further advice, is what's on the HP Hard Drive of any importance?

Collapse -
Correction: I replaced a Toshiba HDD with a HP HDD
by dominiquederousseau / May 18, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

Okay, so the HDD for the HP is my main computer source. The Toshiba is just an interim computer. The problem with the HP laptop is that the current display has a hole in it. I have read that the display is easy to fix. Still investigating. So I guess you're going to advise to format the HDD but I may be wrong but I think the HP G60-535dx is better than the Toshiba Satellite A215.

DD

Collapse -
I have not given any advice yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 2:45 AM PDT

Just diagnosing why it didn't work. I asked the question to figure out what the next step would be.

As to the other laptop, I can't guess what the plan is there.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You can't just put a drive from one
by orlbuckeye / May 18, 2012 10:33 PM PDT

laptop to another and expect everything to work. One of the things about windows is many vendors produce windows machines and each machine uses different components. In order for windows to talk to these components it needs drivers. Sometimes when you install Windows it installs the drivers the components need. When you just switch a drive from another computer the drivers for the other components are installed in windows and windows is looking for those devices when it starts up.

Another issue is alot of times the computer maker doesn't 100% support an OS upgrade and they will never make drivers for new OS's available on their websites. They basically maintain the system with the driver updates of the OS thar was purchased with the machine. Typically if I update a machine's OS and the manufacturer doesn't offer driver for that OS I go to the components manufacturer. So you need to get the verizon drive for your air card for Windows 7.

Collapse -
Re: You can't just put a drive from one.
by dominiquederousseau / May 19, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

This is a wonderful response. Thank you, thank you. There is one thing that I'm not clear on, however. I believe your last statement, "So you need to get the verizon drive for your air card for Windows 7." Is saying I need to get drivers for the air card for the Windows 7? I had drivers for the Windows 7 that worked with the HP G60-535 DX. So are you telling me that I need drivers that will work with the Wireless card that resides in the Toshiba. Which was Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g). Is it that the current drivers within Windows 7 work for the Wireless media that existed within the HP may be different? The HP G60-535 DX used the Atheros Wireless too but probably a later version. It sounds like I need backwards compatibility.

Collapse -
Your atheros card is a wireless card that
by orlbuckeye / May 20, 2012 5:13 AM PDT

lets to connect to your home router or Mc Donald's or Panera bread's free wireless. The Verizon card is a different card that connects to the Verizon network anyware where Verizon sends a signal. Your Atheros card will probably show wireless networks in your neighborhood. Some of those networks are protected with security and require a password to get onto the network. This is alot like a smartphone where if there is a wireless network it will use that but if it doesn't find a network it uses either AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizons 3g or 4g networks. The providers cards are identified by the speed 3G, 4G and 4G LTE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.