Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My taskbar keeps freezing -- please could you help?

by scorpion_deathlock / May 10, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

This has been happening for the past few days now. Everytime I go on my computer, about 10 to 30 minutes after logging in, the taskbar freezes. Nothing can be accessed from the taskbar from there on. When I put the cursor over the 'Start' button, it doesnt get highlighted and even if I click on it, it doesnt bring up the start-up menu. I've also noticed that, while the taskbar is frozen and I'm on the internet, if I click on a link that opens a new window - it opens but the window doesnt get displayed in the taskbar. So I have to press 'alt+tab' to switch between the different windows in the taskbar. Also my computer does get a little slow whenever this happens, but hardly a case to mention. In fact, I dont think this the speed reduction is related to this taskbar problem, it could be a case of just looking into it too much. But Please could you help, does anyone know what it could be?

P.S - My operating system is Windows XP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My taskbar keeps freezing -- please could you help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My taskbar keeps freezing -- please could you help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us what you use to remove spyware and pests.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

Today's pests are very widespread so how do you detect and remove them?

Bob

Collapse -
pests
by kylelizardgreen2 / May 11, 2007 11:43 AM PDT

There are many pests out there and one of them is taskbar "takeover" pests. Make sure you have Microsofts Service pack 2 and Microsofts Windows Defender.If you don't like Microsoft, which I feel is "not good enough" try out Spybot Search and Destroy or a combination of S&D and spywareblaster. They are both free. Majorgeeks.com is is good place to start looking for things to help. You have a trojan and they are getting worse these days. You may have to temporarily disable system restore to get rid of them. After cleaning, enable system restore.

Collapse -
Did you get it solved?
by drakes30 / May 14, 2007 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: pests

My computer has exactly the same symptoms as you describe and like the date of your post, my problems just started a few weeks ago.

Any ideas? I've searched online quite a bit.

I'd rather not re-format my hard drive, but this is appearing to be an issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.