Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My System will not Restore.

by Judesman / May 24, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

When I use System Restore I get a message "Restoration Incomplete" - Your computer cannot be restored - This is irrespective of the date that I select. System Restore was working fine 10 days ago but since then I have had problems with NAV 2006 and used SymNRT to remove NAV and reload. NAV is now working as it should.

I thought I had a problem with Control Panel and that is why I tried System Restore but that problem is now resolved.

I have XP SP2. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My System will not Restore.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My System will not Restore.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Amos16 / May 24, 2006 5:51 AM PDT

Hi - first check for virus. second see if your root partition and each of the others have at least 200 MB of free space. third see if all partitions are unchecked for restore (this in control panel). see if you have all restore points - if you have more than seven delete the older ones, unless you want the restore to go further back. If all of this does not work report back and tell exactly when and after what the trouble started. Good luck - amos.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help Amos but
by Judesman / May 24, 2006 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: restore

can you explain how I do all the things suggested in your post. I can't even see how I remove individual restore points. Virus scan is clear.

Collapse -
Problem solved but how do I remove individual
by Judesman / May 24, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

restore points? There is a reference to NAV 2006 in Tomron's link. I have followed the instructions and the problem is resolved.

Many thanks.

Collapse -
If you're asking how to remove an individual restore point..
by caktus / May 24, 2006 4:43 PM PDT

They are stored in C:\System Volume Information\_restore
and are identified as RP# and are usually listed consecutively. Probably the easiest way to find them is to search for RP using the Windows Search Assistant.

I'm not entirely positive but I beleive perhaps deleting just one or some of them may cause some others to become corrupt. If anyone has the straight dope on this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Collapse -
Thanks Caktus. There is a link in Tomron's
by Judesman / May 24, 2006 6:34 PM PDT

post headed "System Restore". It is excellent and explains everything. I have now discovered that you can not delete individual restore points without corrupting the other files. It is all covered. I would repeat the link here but I don't know how. Perhaps that is something else I should learn.

Collapse -
Individual restore points

I wonder if you could back-up any of these RP# files to a cd and load them back if you wanted to restore back to a date that was deleted by the system.

Collapse -
by caktus / May 26, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

Did exactly that a while back and it worked. Just copied it to the Desktop then moved it to a CD. Then deleted that particular RP from the HHD then copied it back from the CD and it restored properly as best I could tell. But all of the other RP's were still intact.

Next time I need to clear out good RP's I'll try it again and see if it restores properly with all of the other RP's cleared out.

Collapse -
Disk Cleanup
by pro2go / October 11, 2007 4:27 PM PDT

All you need to do to delete all recent Restore Points is use your Disk Cleanup in system tools. Choose More Options, then delete all restore points. Then open Restore and make a new one. Very easy...

Collapse -
System restore
by tomron / May 24, 2006 7:16 AM PDT

I found this LINK in the V&S forum

Collapse -
Thanks Tomron - your link explains
by Judesman / May 24, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: System restore

what to do if NAV 2006 is installed. I have followed the instructions and problem solved.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / May 24, 2006 8:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
use norton goback
by tricenza / May 25, 2006 9:34 PM PDT

i have to do rerstoree occasionally and for a long time now i have been using Norton goback instead of windows xo restore.i still have xp there in case i need it but ive found Norton Goback to be much more relaible.its never not been able to restore me to a safe point yet and has always performed 100%.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks maxson0817
by Judesman / May 25, 2006 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: use norton goback
Collapse -
norton must be disabled before you can restore system
by hitinc / May 27, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

right click the norton icon and choose disable on all your norton products. then restore the system. norton prevented my computer from restoring, but when i disabled it it worked. so try that sugestion and it should work.

Collapse -
Many thanks yprtb, I picked this up from
by Judesman / May 27, 2006 6:40 PM PDT

the excellent link in Tomron's post "System restore". You only need to uncheck the "Turn protection on for my Symantec product" box in Miscellaneous. All works fine but why can't Symantec tell us these things.

Collapse -
your very welcome. i have been with norton for many years.
by hitinc / June 15, 2006 3:57 PM PDT

i know norton, and i had had the same isue. sorry about getting a reply to you for a long time. i have been busy. but yeah, i had the same prob. and tried to tell norton too. they said they would get back to me....that was a year ago. lol. anyway, i now trust avast for my antiviruis needs. but, norton is good too. i just couldnt afford them. good luck with norton, and i wish you few viruises.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good to hear from you Yprtb.
by Judesman / June 15, 2006 6:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
by hitinc / June 18, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

i have helped alot of people with norton before. among other probs. mostly i go around to my freinds houses and clean there computers. One machine i cleaned had over 2,000 viruises and 1,200 items of spyware in the registry. it was insane. well, im glad i could help and i will see you online. later.

Collapse -
Problem: restoration incomplete
by donandjoy / August 23, 2006 6:48 AM PDT

I tried to find the answer to your problem, but I could not. I have the same problem: When I try System Restore
I get the message ''Restoration Incomplete''. I also have a problem when I try to change my startup using msconfig.When I try to make the change I get the message that I am not and administrator, but my account shows that I am. I'm in my seventies and do not get some of this.
What did you do to solve the first problem?, and do you know anything about the second?
I have a Dell desktop system usin Windows XP

Don Block

Collapse -
Please see the link in Tomron's helpful reply of
by Judesman / August 24, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

24th May headed SYSTEM RESTORE. This solved my problem.

I can't help with the second problem Don. Try a new separate post.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.