Computer Help forum

General discussion

my speakers play sound while i'm listening on my headphones

by lemonsss / August 30, 2005 3:19 AM PDT

a while ago I had a problem about my headphones not working (I had a dodgy sound port). but I found out that if I twisted the plug a little I could make it work normally. but, as of today, my speakers play sound as my headphones do, and I'm very annoyed with the whole situation. thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my speakers play sound while i'm listening on my headphones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my speakers play sound while i'm listening on my headphones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There should be a small contact. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2005 3:26 AM PDT

within the jack that opens up the speakers when the jack is plugged it. This contact may be staying closed.

Can you get an eyeball on it? It will be obvious and it's function will be seen if you can get to it. To replace this jack will be a pain as they are usually soldered to the board.

Collapse -
well is there any way to switch off the speakers?
by lemonsss / August 30, 2005 6:18 AM PDT

i've tried several things in sound options
i'm on a laptop by the way so i can't just unplug them

Collapse -
Nope. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

Especially since you now tell us it's a laptop. The speaker jack is definitely as I described. There is only one sound output from the mother board wired to the speaker jack. There are no other sound adjustments like a full size sound card with separate speaker and headphone jacks.

To fix this you must go inside the unit. Didn't you mention that you had to jiggle it in the past?

Collapse -
Re
by stewart6 / August 30, 2005 3:30 AM PDT

Hi. Seems the jack for your sound is shot. There is not much you can do to repair it. You will have to get another sound board. Good luck Stewart

Collapse -
well, thanks guys
by lemonsss / August 30, 2005 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

that's been helpful, see if I can get it to a repairer sometime.

Collapse -
Re faulty jack.
by stewart6 / August 30, 2005 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

The speakers are switched off by the tip of the plug lifting a contact off the speaker connection. One possibility is that your problem is not with the jack at all but rather with the plug on your headphones. make sure your plug is not some oddball size. Stewart

Collapse -
no can't be that
by lemonsss / August 31, 2005 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re faulty jack.

i've tried several headphones and they worked fine a few weeks ago

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.