Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Search Window Lost The Dog

by Daviddude / January 5, 2007 8:36 AM PST

Hi everyone,

I installed Windows Desktop Search 3.0 and twice it made my system lock up. I checked the event viewer, and it said something about trying to index something that doesn't exist. So I uninstalled it. NOW, my normal windows search window is white on the left hand side, and the dog isn't there when searching.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
System Restore isn't an option it doesn't go back that far.

Thanks for your replies.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Search Window Lost The Dog
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Search Window Lost The Dog
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My Search Window Lost The Dog
by Tufenuf / January 5, 2007 8:53 AM PST

Daviddude, Are you saying that all the Search options are missing on the left side or just the animated dog?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Just the animated dog is missing
by Daviddude / January 5, 2007 9:08 AM PST

and it used to be a blue background, now it is white.

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / January 5, 2007 9:17 AM PST

Daviddude, Go into Search and on the left side scroll down to Change Preferences and click it, then click with an animated screen character.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
That option isn't there
by Daviddude / January 5, 2007 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

all I have is Search Options which is the part for Date, Type, Size, and Advanced Options. I checked them all, and the help file - which said the same thing you did.

Collapse -
Re: That option isn't there
by Tufenuf / January 5, 2007 9:37 AM PST

Daviddude, I believe you'll have to change your Theme in Display Properties under the Themes tab to "Windows XP" to get that option and that dog and blue color back.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thanks, but that didn't do it.
by Daviddude / January 5, 2007 9:52 AM PST

I am going to search the registry for key word search, see if I can find anything there.
If not, do you think if I do the reload system files from the install disk - not starting on a clean disk - would fix it?

Collapse -
Repeat from broken search above
by DarCLew2 / January 5, 2007 10:18 AM PST

did you try ChkDsk? Open My Computer, C: drive right click and go to Properties, Tools Tab, Ist item Check Now, select and put check marks in both boxes. You have to reboot. a countdown to stop will occour, let it. I had the arrow at the bottom messed up and incorrect letters in my menu.
It corrected them. by DarCLew2

Collapse -
No Luck
by Daviddude / January 5, 2007 12:23 PM PST

I tried the Checkdisk option, no luck, tried re-installing the Windows XP and neither one fixed the missing Search Preferences option, or the dog, or the color.
Thanks for the help though.

Collapse -
Re: No Luck
by Tufenuf / January 5, 2007 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: No Luck

Daviddude, If you have Tweak UI installed open it and click on "Explorer" and scroll down to "Use Classic Search in Explorer" and uncheck it, click Apply/OK. You may have to restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
here your answer
by kevin-palomo / January 13, 2007 2:15 PM PST

when you get to the search thingy on the top left youll see where it says (search) by the tab that says (folders) so click on the "search" tab and youll see the dog, lol!

Collapse -
Thanks but that didn't do it.
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: here your answer

I tried several things to get the dog back.

Collapse -
Re: Search Companion Animated Characters
by Tufenuf / January 13, 2007 9:57 PM PST

Daviddude, It still sounds like your Search Companion is stuck in Classic View, After searching high & low for a possible fix I may have found one. Go to the link below and scroll down to line 49 (left column)"Old Style Search Engine On or Off" and click on the underscored word "Off" to download a reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

See if that brings back the blue background and the Change Preferences option.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Hi Tuf
by Daviddude / January 14, 2007 12:01 AM PST

No, I wiped the hard drive & reinstalled my operating system. I have had this computer three years in February. I wanted to start with a clean op system again. The search dog was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Before I reloaded though, I did search the page you linked and tried that one specifically hoping it would fix it, but no luck.

Collapse -
So the dog ran away from home :)
by tomron / January 13, 2007 11:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 11:54 PM PST

I bookmarked the page - now I have something more to read.
I wiped and reinstalled my Windows XP (because of this, and the fact that it will be three years old next month).

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome
by tomron / January 14, 2007 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the link
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.