Computer Help forum

General discussion

my screen resolution wont fill screen

by bcarp914 / August 29, 2008 2:44 PM PDT

I can't get vista to display fully on my 27in monitor. Does anyone know of the correct resolution setting, and how to obtain that setting to fill my screen?
Thank you.

27 in monitor, using blue cable (not dvi)
geforce 8500 gt video card (with latest drivers installed)

thanks for all the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my screen resolution wont fill screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my screen resolution wont fill screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It isn't resolution
by ChuckT / August 29, 2008 5:45 PM PDT

Since you said 27 inches, and that is not a common dimension for LCD monitors, I am assuming you have a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor. CRT usually have a width adjustment. Look for that. If you had told us what brand and model of monitor you have, someone here could give more specific detail.

It isn't resolution that is your problem. The resolution pretty much only defines how many dots will be used to put across and up/down your lit-up area of the screen.

For example, if your screen only has 20 inches illuminated across the display, changing resolution from 640 or 1024 or 1280 or 1440 or 1680 or 1920 or even 2560 only sets that to how many dots across those 20 inches.
(Side note: sure there may be some fluctuation a bit on the width, it usually will not be a consistent 20 inches - if that, but it should be there-abouts.)

Instead, I would suggest that you look for some monitor adjustment to expand out your lit-up area to the full width.

Good luck.

Collapse -
27 in lcd tv used as a monitor
by bcarp914 / August 29, 2008 5:49 PM PDT
In reply to: It isn't resolution

thanks for the advice.
The monitor is actually a LCD 27 in tv, with vga input.
I am unsure of the details. This is a project I am working for a friend tomorrow. I built his computer, and he is using his lcd tv as the monitor.... hope its an easy fix or else im in for a treat tomorrow!

Collapse -
Won'thappen. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 29, 2008 8:24 PM PDT

Computer monitors and TVs have different resolutions. Doubtful it'll ever fit the screen. With any acceptable resolution anyway.

Collapse -
try 1366x768 or 1280x720
by ramarc / August 30, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

1366x768 is the native lcd resolution; 1280x720 is 720p resolution. your pc video card should be able to output one other with the nvidia drivers installed.

Collapse -
ah, an LCD TV
by ChuckT / August 30, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

But it would still help to know the make and model.

A lot of early LCD TVs with computer inputs do not expand out the computer video display to fill the screen, like all computer monitors can or do.

Many will just go to the native resolution, pixel for pixel. That is, if your (assuming) 1366x768 TV is fed a smaller than that resolution signal, there will be black borders (usually, but not always, on all sides) on the monitor.

Some of the newer LCD TVs do have the ability to expand (or stretch) the image to fill the entire monitor, but it made need to be set to do so.
Please note that any expansion of the image to fit the screen will make the resulting image slightly blurry. That is why it would be advantageous to find a video driver for the computer that can match the signal's resolution to the native resolution (the pixel count) of the monitor.

Check the TV's Operator Manual.

Collapse -
Overscan settings
by Shawn_Anarchy / August 30, 2008 2:32 PM PDT

Can you check your display driver settings for Overscan? This will let you change how far the graphic card scales the screen in an X by Y format.

Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 11:01 PM PDT

You would have to supply make and model of the tv or display or better yet a link to it's specs. But TVs can be no fun as the resolutions may be odd and the TV maker didn't give you the necessary MONITOR.INF file.

And to head off any question about the monitor.inf file. I don't have it and you can discover what it is on google.

Collapse -
Model # Update
by bcarp914 / August 30, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks grim.

It is a Toshiba 23HLV85.
I have set the nvidia display driver to custom resolution of 1024*768. Everything is in the correct aspect ratio, just not full screen. I went into the tv's settings, and I can adjust a few options, none of which give me more viewable area though.

Collapse -
Link to documentation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Model # Update
Collapse -
Computer to the HDMI
by ChuckT / August 30, 2008 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Link to documentation.

Page 16 of that Owner's Manual says: "The HDMI jack is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a personal computer. For PC connection, see page 18."

Page 18 says: "When connecting a PC to the TV, use an analog RGB (15-pin) computer cable and a PC audio cable.
? To use a PC, set the monitor output resolution on the PC before connecting it to the TV. The following signals can be displayed.
? XGA: VESA 1024

Collapse -
Love those docs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer to the HDMI

Makes you wonder what ATI and Nvidia were thinking when they put out video cards with HDMI outputs.

Collapse -
No matter what the doc says
by ChuckT / August 30, 2008 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Love those docs.

I'd still opt for using the HDMI.

Collapse -
LCD on Vista
by sgopiani / August 30, 2008 1:39 PM PDT

Hi, I have bought a new 26" LCD HD Ready tv with 1080p input and i connected my pc to it using a DVi to HDMI input. i cannot get the full 1080p input for my pc and i cannot adjust the settings on the tv or the pc to make the 1080p setting to fit onto the screen please help me.
its a LG tv model no: LG 26LB75.
Also how do i make the sound on the tv work with the computer as well

Collapse -
You really ought to start a new thread
by ChuckT / August 30, 2008 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD on Vista

By entering your issue into this existing thread, while it is somewhat similar, you run the risk that a person with the exact answer you need is not going to read it. The reason is, that someone who starts to read the early messages may not get to your question, if they become disinterested prior to it.

But, you are here now, so ...
DVI is a digital video interface, it contains no sound component.
HDMI, on the other hand, does, or can, contain digital audio. However, if your computer does not have an HDMI connection, chances are very good you are not going to wholly utilize that HDMI for video AND audio. In that case, just use the audio output jack from the computer and run it into some (analog) audio input just of the TV.

As for getting the "full 1080p" input for the TV (not sure what you mean by that, but I think I know what you mean). Seeing as how the resolution of the TV is just 1366x768, I don't think you are going to be too successful. Sure, the TV does have some 1080P input, but the actual screen is less than that. The TV does an approximation of that higher resolution on the lower resolution screen.

Collapse -
by sgopiani / September 3, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

thanks for your help i will either try to change my vudeo card so it ahs HDMI or get a audio jack. Higher chances of a new video card so i can put the existing one in my crapper pc.

Collapse -
your LG's resolution is 1366x768
by ramarc / September 3, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

just because it can accept a 1080p signal, doesn't mean it can display 1080 lines of resolution. it will downscale the signal to it's panel resolution.

so when hooking it up to a pc, you should configure your video output as either 1366x768, 1280x720 or 720p.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.