Computer Help forum

General discussion

My screen is shaking..... Why?

by angles456 / September 24, 2004 12:11 PM PDT

Am running XPHome on hp pavilion desktop. 2.6GHzPentium 4, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive. For the last three weeks my display has been shaking. Have run Spybot, changed screen resolution, disk cleanup. As far as I know, have not deleted any program files. Did try to remove Kazaa files, but had a message pop up saying could not execute so left it alone. Don't know if the shaking problem occurred at the same time or at a later date, but if the deletion couldn't be performed for whatever reason wouldn't that mean that all my files should still be there? Would that compromise the stability of my computer/software, and if so, how?
Am a bit of a novice, so please be patient and thanks in advance for any advice/solutions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My screen is shaking..... Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My screen is shaking..... Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My screen is shaking..... Why? Kazaa?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 12:19 PM PDT

Sorry, but Kazaa is crack cocaine for your PC. The possible damage to the OS can exceed what repairs that I can offer. When you decide to get the PC off this software then we might see some progress.

In the meantime check that SPEAKERS or other magnetic sources are not near the display.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: My screen is shaking..... Why? Kazaa?Yeah!!!
by angles456 / September 24, 2004 9:19 PM PDT

Thanks, Bob. I actually installed Kazaa in late Feb on the recommendation of my sister who, by the way, has never had a problem with it. After a couple of months, it started hijacking my pc, so thought I would uninstall it. When I started to do this, I got a warning message pop up telling me that all linked files would be deleted as well. Being a newbie, I decided not to proceed and vowed never to use this program again. Just recently, I was using Pest Patrol to clean up my pc and instructed the program to delete some adware. After about 20 minutes, a message popped up saying that the operation could not be performed. Didn't think much of it at the time and assumed everything was okay. Do you think something might have been affected, or is that opening a whole other can of worms? A lot of these programs profess to be easy to use, but maybe a dummy should be writing instructions for dummies. I mean, how easy is easy? Depends where you're sitting.
I do have speakers reasonably close to the monitor (about 10 inches or so), will move them. If this is a fix, how long would you expect it to show?
Thanks again,
Anna

Collapse -
There is hope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2004 10:39 PM PDT

Some revolt when I'm so blunt about that software.

Moving the speakers or even rotating them 90 degrees should have an immediate effect if that is the source. Wall wart power packs that plug into AC outlets are also a magnetic field source.

And try this. Change the refresh rate up and down one setting.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: There is hope.
by angles456 / September 25, 2004 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: There is hope.

Thanks Rob. It obviously isn't the speakers as no change. How do I adjust the refresh rate? Will use windows explorer in the meantime to investigate.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2004 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: There is hope.
Collapse -
by angles456 / September 26, 2004 12:35 PM PDT

Thanks Rob. I have actually tried that before (just didn't know what it was called). It's a bit difficult to tell whether it actually does anything. The picture is still shaky, but because of the border it's not easy to see if there is any actual improvement. Tried all options ie. 60, 70, 75 and 85Hz. Am on 85 at the moment.

Collapse -
Then it likely to be failing hardware or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 8:07 PM PDT

There is an issue with CRT displays. I did run into someone that only an LCD would do. They would put their finger on the display and "show" that the display pixels were not perfectly still. For them, only a LCD will do.

I point this out since there are degrees of this issue from minute to gross.

But you get to try the monitor on another machine and then a new monitor on this machine to figure it out.

Bob

Collapse -
by larrybell / September 28, 2004 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: There is hope.

Bob (and Anna):

I agree with your suggestion Bob about moving the speakers farther away from the monitor. An older monitor could easily be affected by the speakers. Sounds like Anna has them plenty far away though (unless they are really big Happy )

One monitor I had used to be noticably "wavy" on the edge of the screen image. I think that problem was with the monitors age more than anything else.

But I have seen nothing in this thread to indicate if the PC itself is near the monitor or not. I have my Mid tower PC on top of the desk, 8-10 inches (20-30cm) from the monitor (with the side cover closest to the monitor off no less). I have no complaints, but if Anna's monitor is older, and the PC itself is on top of the desk near it, THAT could be the problem. The power supply from the PC would be a bigger source of electromagnetic interference than the speakers.

Anna, do you have the PC on the desk near the monitor? Always good to follow the other suggestions given about the spyware/adware anyway, but I'm not sure that (adware/spyware/virus) is the problem. Sounds more like an electrical thing.

Like someone else suggested, get the computer on a circuit with fewer other electronic devices, especially ones with motors (refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, etc). I would also suggest a surge suppressor/line conditioner type power strip for the computer. It should help isolate the computer from bad "line noise" and power flucuations.

Sorry for the long post.

Larry

Collapse -
by angles456 / September 28, 2004 6:15 PM PDT

Thanks Larry and Rob. My pc is only 7mths old, and although that is a long time in this industry, should not be the problem. I have a computer desk with my tower on the bottom right shelf (approx 2 feet away from monitor).
Now, the weirdest thing....it is no longer shaky. Followed instructions for deleting Kazaa with no change to picture, so went back through programs and removed peer points manager(which may have come with Kazaa) and a program titled "kbd". There was no info on what this program was, but when I tried to open it the screen went black and the message 'Cannot find batch file' came up. Since deleting this, my monitor is fine.
Anyone know what it might have been?
Anyway, thankyou everyone for your advice and support. It's wonderful to be part of a community that pools its knowledge to help others.
Anna

Collapse -
Re: My screen is shaking..... Why?
by razzputin / September 24, 2004 9:39 PM PDT

Scumware.com is a good source to check beforehand.

"In January, the list recorded nine different viruses passing through Kazaa; at the end of the year the number was up to 21."

Maybe somebody here will analyze your system after you install HiJack This and post your log. Wilders Security Forum used to perform this service but I have heard they no longer do.

Collapse -
Re: My screen is shaking..... Why?
by angles456 / September 24, 2004 10:05 PM PDT

Thanks Razz. Will check it out tomorrow. I'm in Australia, it's 10o'clock, I'm tired and I'm going to bed.
Goodnight all.
Will let you know how things pan out.

Collapse -
Angles, Uninstalling KaZaa
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 8:37 AM PDT

Here are some instructions that should help:

First try removing KaZaa from the "Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs" section. If you get error messages, then you'll need to remove it manually using the instructions below. After that, download, install and run, either or both of the spyware removal programs below. KaZaa installs all sorts of spyware and it must be removed separately. Some of the spyware can also be removed from the 'Add/Remove Programs" section, but most must be eliminated using the Spyware Removal programs below. Both are free to use.

CLICK HERE for Manual Removal Instructions For KaZaa

How can I uninstall Kazaa Media Desktop?
Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) can be uninstalled through the usual process of going into the 'Control Panel' through the START menu and opening the 'Add/Remove Programs' option. Just find 'Kazaa Media Desktop' and click 'Change/Remove' then follow the prompts.

When you uninstall KMD, the My Shared Folder will remain since it may have files in it that you wish to keep.

In the unlikely event that you have any problems uninstalling KMD, you may have to go into the program files folder (or where it was installed) and delete it manually. Be careful that you do not delete the 'My Shared Folder' directory before copying/moving any files that you have downloaded or want to keep. The 'My Shared Folder' directory is usually located on your C drive, in 'Program Files', within the 'Kazaa' directory.

After downloading and installing the programs below, make sure to "update" them from within the program's interface before running them.

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Tool

Spybot Search & Destroy Spyware Removal Tool

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Angles, Uninstalling KaZaa
by angles456 / September 26, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

Thanks Grif. This info is very helpful, as it has been a bit of a concern (obviously). Should help free up quite a bit of RAM as well. Definitely something I will be doing.
Thanks again for your help.
Anna.

Collapse -
More than likely age and interference
by Angela / September 26, 2004 12:32 PM PDT

Many things can cause interference to an Monitor especially and ageing one such as Speakers, Transformers inlcuding the big one on the outside of your house, televisions, microwave ovens, dect handset telephones, heat, automobiles.

I have personally experienced shaking from microwave oven and trucks whilst the speakers effected the monitor more subtly.

If your PC is against an outer wall or adjoining your kitchen then you need to seriously consider the location relative to appliances and carport or busy roads. Extended subjection to some of these interferences may have degraded the life of your monitor to a point where removing the interence will not fix the symptom. You could try to force a degauss if your monitor has this feature.

I don't believe a virus is your problem although you may have some of these also due to the spyware and malware associated with Kazaa. I would say that this is definately a video card setting (ie refresh rate etc) or monitor hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -
Re: More than likely age and interference
by angles456 / September 26, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

Thanks Angela. I do have the pc up against the kitchen wall from lounge room side. I was going to say there aren't any appliances, but the dishwasher is on the other side of this wall. Will have to do a major resuffle of furniture and put in a different room. Had forgotten about that. Just panicked and thought maybe my pc had been attaked as have had a lot of trojan warnings coming up on anti-virus software. Hopefully the solution is that simple. Will keep everyone informed, but will take a while to sort this out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.