Samsung forum

My Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 has horizontal lines

by gadgetjunky891 / February 19, 2013 4:00 AM PST

I am starting this post to rant and put an alert to others looking to buy a Samsung TV.

I bought a PN50C7000 3D Plasma TV back in July 2010, when it was first introduced for over $2,200. It was one of the higher end models at the time and I was told that Samsung makes great products, which is why I upgraded from the 42 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma I bought in 2006 for over $3,000, which was still working perfect when I decided to upgrade to 3D.

About September 2011 I noticed one thin line at the bottom of my TV. I called Samsung customer service and they told me to try resetting to factory settings, which did nothing so they told me it's likely hardware issue that needs to be looked at by a certified Samsung Technician, but that it was no longer covered under warranty (2 months past warranty). So I figured, it's just a small thin line and not worth it to unmount it from my wall to get it fixed.

Fast forward to about November 2012, I see 2 more lines now closer to the center of the screen, which is much more distracting. Now 3 months later, there's 10 lines and some have gotten even thicker!! I contact Samsung Customer Support again and I get the whole factory reset spewl again, when I am certain they know full well what the issue is as I have since google'd many complaints about the same issue.

I then called one of the Samsung certified technicians in my area and the technician told me that it's a problem he's seen before and that I would have to replace the entire screen, which the part itself is over $1,000 because I have a higher higher model Plasma!! He then said to me that this shouldn't happen as it is generally the longest lasting and most sturdy part of the TV, so it's likely a problem with the part to begin with!!!

Samsung's customer service hasn't been very helpful at all and just kept saying "I'm sorry to hear that" and now I'm stuck with a TV full of horizontal lines and faced with the decision to pay $1300 to fix or replace with new after only 2.5 years!! To make it worse, these issues have been reported on Samsung Plasmas as far back as 2009!!!

After this experience with their customer service and their defective TV, I don't think I'll ever get a Samsung product again and I will tell anybody I know thinking of getting a Samsung product my experience.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 has horizontal lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 has horizontal lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 has horizontal lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 19, 2013 7:32 AM PST

Hi gadgetjunky891,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by gadgetjunky891 / February 26, 2013 6:53 AM PST

Which is the transaction number? I can't seem to locate any transaction numbers. I don't recall being given a ticket number the last time I called Samsung, I was only given the phone number of my local Samsung technician and that was the end of my conversation with Samsung customer support.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 4:35 AM PST
Collapse -
More Horizontal Lines on TV Screen (Picture)
by Benja87 / July 8, 2014 9:53 AM PDT

So I just got off the phone with the Samsung Support. After moving past the lowest level support staff, I was talking to the second tier support staff. She was confusing me by saying, "At this time, there isn't anything we can do for you." Almost insinuating that she or Samsung could help later... I got her to finally clarify herself by saying, "You know, if you say, "At This Time," you insinuate there will be a different answer later." But after playing word games for the better part of a half-hour, I tell her how I am a "starving student," and saving up for a $3000 dollar Samsung TV was worth it because their screens are legendary, and are known to be top of the line. I just didn't expect the TV to die before I finished college.

If there is anything anyone can help me with, please help a student.
Model Code: UN55D7000LFXZA
Version No: H303
S/N: Z30Q3CZBA05106P
Transaction Number: 5108915434

Collapse -
This thread is more than 504 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2014 10:01 AM PDT

I can't tell how far out of warranty this is but is there any electronics department in your school? I'm sure they get requests for help all the time. is under 700 so I would consider 2000 bucks something you would take out extended warranties. Again, I agree it should last a lot longer but that's water under the bridge.

I'm sure you checked the warranty duration on your car.

Collapse -
Forgot this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2014 10:12 AM PDT

Try to avoid posting in old threads where you have a new issue. Burying your post is a good way for it to go unnoticed. Repost a new post so you get it up and in the clear. Be sure to add purchase date and such.

Collapse -
Horizontal Line Problem
by AmyNapier / June 6, 2013 6:37 AM PDT

Thanks for your post! Would you please do a follow up after being in contact with Samsung customer service this time and let us know if your problem was corrected? We have a 50" Plasma and are having the same horizontal lines that continue to "grow" in size!

Collapse -
Issue was not resolved - boycotting Samsung products now
by gadgetjunky891 / June 10, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Hi Amy,

After contacting Samsung customer service and explaining the issue, the CSR pretended like he was surprised to hear of such an issue and acted sympathetic to my problem and said he would transfer me to ECR (Executive Customer Representative/Retention?). However, he forgot to put me on hold while he called his colleague to give him a heads up that he was transferring me and basically mocked me to his colleague and imitated my voice in a whiney tone, then when he quickly realized his mistake he just transferred me without saying another word. Then the ECR came on the line and simply said "you're out of warranty, so what are you looking for?" I said I was simply looking for some help in getting my TV fixed because this problem seemed very prevalent and by the Samsung certified technicians own admission was likely due to a defective panel to begin with. So he simply said sorry, there's nothing we can do for you. I asked him if there's another level of management I could speak with and he just said "sorry, I am the highest level you can contact and my decision is final".

What makes my experience with Samsung so much worse is the terrible customer service to go along with a defective product. I recognize there's always going to be a few defects when you produce thousands of units, but to provide terrible customer service on top of the defects is just a slap in the face.

Wouldn't recommend a Samsung product to anyone! Buyer beware!

Collapse -
Re: Issue not resolved
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 11, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

Hi gadgetjunky891,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with the phone agent. If you could, please provide the transaction number that the agent provided on the phone.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Do you work for Samsung
by 2505453978 / September 15, 2013 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Issue not resolved

If so why aren't you relaying this problem to them that appears very prevelant and widespread. Why are all the Sumsung people acting surprised about this problem? It's an obvious issue with these black horizontal lines and I will be disgusted if Samsung doesn't agree to fix my 2.5 year old TV. I believe it's bordering on folks starting a class action suit if Samsung doesnt come to the table on this. Someone's next post is going to be getting info from anyone affected by that point it's too late for Samsung because that's the start of legal recourse.

Collapse -
I tried to report Samsung to the BBB
by krux01 / November 12, 2013 11:11 AM PST

After having the same issue with a PN50C6500 and getting the run around from Samsung on multiple occasions I contacted the Better Business Bureau. My claim was quickly dismissed though. I am not surprised. Samsung is a large company.
On a side note my Brother bought a 50 inch Samsung plasma (different model) a little after I bought mine. Within a couple months of developing lines on my TV his TV also developed lines. Luckily his TV was covered under warranty still and he was able to return the Samsung and trade it for an LG. He has had no problems with the LG.
Samsung really should take responsibility with these faulty displays. I have boycotted Samsung products in my home since this incident.
I have since purchased 3 TVs. 2 LG and 1 Insignia. I still have the Samsung and yes more lines have developed on the display, but my children use it as a gaming TV. With the games the lines are less noticeable.
My advise: Avoid Samsung products. They do not stand behind their products and hide behind their warranty.

Collapse -
lines and terrible customer service
by maurosg70 / November 12, 2013 11:29 AM PST

Samsung 60" 1080P 600Hz PLASMA SMART 2.0 3D TV PN60F5500AF

Purchased this model in july of 2013 and was originally very happy with overall performance of television. In October of 2013 i happened to notice a one pixel wide green line running down right side of television, right where the pixels end. I contacted Samsung and they arranged for a service tech to pay me a visit and possibly replace the screen. The tech examined the television and to my surprise explained to me that changing the screen would not fix this. He explained to me that the way the pixels are arranged they end in green, which causes this green line anomaly and that that is how all the tvs in this model are made. I went to several stores and was able to verify that all the televisions model Samsung 60" 1080P 600Hz PLASMA SMART 2.0 3D TV PN60F5500AF had this faint green line running down screen. I contacted Samsung again requesting a refund or exchange for a different model and was denied. I was told that they will not help me. They are now if they were not aware before of this problem because i have been calling them almost everyday demanding a refund or exchange. If you dont believe me check it out for yourself and visit a store carrying this model. Pay attention for a minute or 2 at right side of screen. You see it best when watching something that has white or light colours in picture. Its in all video formats and is not dead pixels.. Defect in television Samsung refuses to acknowledge.. Do not buy this television, but please feel free to see what im talking about for yourself..

Collapse -
Don't give up....
by 2505453978 / November 12, 2013 2:49 PM PST

Exact same problem and exact same frustration. Mine was off warranty and once I had customer service elevate it to the next level they finally agreed after several phone calls to cover the part if I paid the service. It is a wide well known problem which even the repair facility was aware of. Keep on them and they will come to the table...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.