The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

My recent experience with Facebook

by Facebook_Critque / October 12, 2012 11:38 PM PDT

I had set up a Facebook page for my business. One of my daughter's friends (who is 9) friended me. I hadn't done much with the page and then one day I get an email from Facebook stating that 15 or so girls who are about 9 wanted to friend me. I was stunned. What kind of accusations would be thrown at a 55 year old male who "friended" 15 young girls. In this day an age it was suicidal. I first printed out the email with all the young girls name. Showed it to a few friends and family, they were shocked, wrote Facebook and asked them what they were thinking and if any fallout came from this I would SUE THE CRAP out of them, and then canceled the page.

I can live without Facebook and what would have been a Facebook inspired trainwreck.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My recent experience with Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My recent experience with Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Addendum
by Facebook_Critque / October 13, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

I had recently read here on CNET that Facebook was looking for feedback. Of course the only way to give that feedback is if you LOGGED on to Facebook. As I don't want to renew my account I choose to comment on CNET. Another thing is that I continue to get Facebook emails and the only way to UNSCRIBE is to LOG ON TO YOUR FACEBOOK account. Kinda of Orwellian is you ask me. To complain you have to log on and to unscribe from their messages you have to LOG ON.

Collapse -
Facebook !
by itsdigger / October 13, 2012 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum

As far as I'm concerned shouldn't be ! It's nothing but a nuisance ! All the time I hear my niece or nephews or relatives and friends Bitchen' and Moanin' ..." this person said this or this person said that" or this person had to tell us that he/she was walkin' the dog and it just took a dump ! Well WHO CARES ? IMHO the world would be a much better place without Facebook.....Digger

Collapse -
Replying to the message,
by BlueLillianMan / October 13, 2012 10:19 AM PDT

I never even go on Facebook.

Collapse -
2nd reply
by BlueLillianMan / October 13, 2012 10:27 AM PDT

And second of all, crazy 55 year olds can be anywhere. They can even be on a Child's site like Roblox and Club Penguin. They are basically just waiting for some stupid kid or teenager to give out their address.

Collapse -
Hmm
by DerekRose81 / October 23, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

If I had kids I would be so concerned about their online activity.. I mean, I don't want to forbid them from going online... but we've all heard stories and its kind of difficult to forget them..if not impossible.

Collapse -
Who needs FB anyway?
by TubularBells / October 29, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

I can live without facebook, too. I never understood all the fuzz about it either. And it truly is the playground of pedophiles. Imagine this scenario: A naive father puts up photos of his family's latest vacation at the beach including his young kids in swimming gear and he doesn't even that this is the stuff the demented people out there are looking for.

Collapse -
Balance it out
by glynnad / November 2, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

It might not look as weird as you think. Yes, a 55 years with a page that is only being viewed by 9 year olds seems weird. But, its a business page. The more fans you have the better you can potentially look. If you really want to have a social media page for your business than I wouldnt cancel it because of this. You can deny there friend request. 9 year old girls are probably willing to ad anyone because the more friends they have the more popular they will appear. Thats probably how you ran into this problem. You can always reach out to friends of yours on facebook and friend them. This way you can balance out having a nine year like your page while making it appear that you have a lot of fans.

Collapse -
A playground for pedophiles seems harsh
by TechmoB74 / November 5, 2012 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Balance it out

Anything can be abused or have an negative side to it. But a playground for pedophiles seem harsh. Facebook can be a very good way to keep in touch, share info, or be used to learn whats popular right now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.