PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My printer won't recognize new color ink cartridge

by Kevin Gray / August 13, 2004 9:21 AM PDT

I am having trouble with my Lexmark x85 (big shot but hey.. I got it for christmas a couple of years ago). It won't recognize my new color ink cartridge. Now, after trying the tips on the company web site and through a follow up email where whiping down the connecters with an eraser where tried it still doesn't work. It there anything I can do or am I going to be stuck shelling out another $40?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My printer won't recognize new color ink cartridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My printer won't recognize new color ink cartridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Return it to where you bought it. It should be warranteed.
by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2004 12:55 PM PDT

If your printheads are uncloggable you have wasted another $40.00.

If it is an ersatz brand you may have got taken.

Collapse -
Re: Return it to where you bought it. It should be warrant.
by CANNIBAL / August 14, 2004 2:07 AM PDT

I have un-clogged blocked print heads by applying a small drop of acetone to the ink ports. Use the corner of a lint free rag to gently blot the softened ink away. It may take you a few times before the ink flows again. Has saved my wallet a couple of times in the past. I only buy OEM carts now.

Acetone is a very volatile, explosive substance so follow all the safety recommendations on the container.
Definitely don't smoke around this stuff.

Collapse -
Re: My printer won't recognize new color ink cartridge
by CANNIBAL / August 14, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

Kevin said, "It won't recognize my new color ink cartridge. Now, after trying the tips on the company web site and through a follow up email where wiping down the connectors with an eraser where tried it still doesn't work."

After installing the cart does the ink carriage cycle back to its home position? This would indicate that the cart is "recognized" and it is probably hardened ink in the ports. Happens if the carts have been sittin' around too long. Another post on this thread tells how to clean them.

If thats not it, check the ribbon cable connections on the back of the ink carriage and where-ever it is attached to the printer circuits.

If neither of these is the problem, then you probably got a bad cart and have to get a new one. With a high end printer, I would stick with new OEM carts. No re-fills! Recycled carts will eventually spill ink everywhere, as the ink ports erode. Not fun, cleaning that mess up!

Hope this is of some help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.