Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My printer won't print in black

by MaggiefromCornwall / January 25, 2009 11:37 PM PST

Please can someone help me? I have an Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer. It suddenly will not print in black, but all other colours are OK and the cartridge shows as full. I have replaced the cartridge, done the head/nozzle cleaning procedure but still it won't print in black. When I took out the cartridge there appeared to be ink underneath although this is not the case under the other colour cartridges. Can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My printer won't print in black
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My printer won't print in black
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the self test pring black?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 11:58 PM PST

1. Make sure both the printer and computer are turned off.

2. Disconnect the interface cable from the printer.

3. Make sure paper is loaded in the printer.

4. Hold down the Load/Eject button, then press and release the power button. Continue holding down the Load/Eject button until the power light starts to flash, then release it. The printer prints one page showing its ROM version number, ink counter, and a nozzle check pattern. If the pattern has gaps in its dots, you need to clean the print head.

5. To end the check, turn off the printer after it prints the check page. (from

Be careful about repairs on these printers. Repair costs are usually more than a new printer.

Collapse -
Black still won't print
by MaggiefromCornwall / January 26, 2009 10:03 PM PST

The test print shows all the colours perfectly, but no sign of the black. I am not using Epson cartridges, I use Inkrite and a friend tells me I may have clogged up the printing head through not using the Epson cartridges. If I now go and buy a black Epson cartridge and then go through the head cleaning do you think that may work?
I am grateful for your help.

Collapse -
"but no sign of the black"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2009 10:25 PM PST

The self test failed. At this point you consider your options of repair or replace.

Yes, the inkjet head costs as much as the entire printer.

"If I now go and buy a black Epson cartridge and then go through the head cleaning do you think that may work?"

My crystal ball is broken. I can't guess what will happen when you do that but I will let you know that I know to start shopping for a new printer.

Collapse -
Sorry to hear about the crystal ball!
by MaggiefromCornwall / January 26, 2009 10:47 PM PST

I think I will go and buy an Epson cartridge and try. If it works I will have saved a lot of money in buying a new printer. I will let you know.
If I see any cheap crystal balls when I am out I will get one for you.
Thanks for your help

Collapse -
With my Canon printer ...
by Kees Bakker / January 26, 2009 10:56 PM PST

I've succesfully used special cleaning cartridges like the ones from (just a google hit, not a recommendation for this shop).

Not sure to help, of course.

Collapse -
Printer Can't print in black
by michelsmith / May 16, 2011 1:30 PM PDT

The following may work: remove all the ink supplies. Remove the printhead and soak it for about 5 minutes in 0.5" of very hot water. Gently blot the printhead on a soft damp paper towel to remove the excess water, then replace in the printer and then reinstall the ink supplies. get more help to fix printer not printing black . hope this helps you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.