Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

my pictures photos will not open

by silly old sod / June 15, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

when i open my pictures all of the thumbnails have a picture of a sailing boat on them. when i try to open a thumbnail i get a message
''no preview available'' and i can't view any of my photos
some one please help a wrinkly old pensioner

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my pictures photos will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my pictures photos will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: my pictures photos will not open
by Tufenuf / June 15, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

silly old sod, Try the following.

Click Start>Run then copy and paste or type in:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Click OK

Note that the spacing is important.

If that doesn't correct the problem try

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll instead of regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by silly old sod / June 16, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

tried both links without success
thank you for your reply

Collapse -
RE: Try This
by Tufenuf / June 16, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

silly old sod, After you used those commands did you restart your computer? If you didn't try it. You can also go to the link below and download the free "imgeditor.zip" utility. Unzip it and open it then checkmark the file extensions you want to open with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer then click the Repair associations button.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

It should correct your problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by silly old sod / June 16, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Try This

TRIED EVERYTHING YOU SUGGESTED. STILL HAD NO LUCK.THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO TRY AND HELP ME

Collapse -
Re: Re: my pictures photos will not open
by Tufenuf / June 16, 2009 3:31 AM PDT

silly old sod, That's strange as those solutions I posted usually correct the problem. Did this problem just start recently? Did you just install some new software or programs? You could try a System Restore to the closest date prior to when this problem started. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
More Info
by Tufenuf / June 16, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

If you're using AOL or CompuServe check out the possible Resolution at the link below.

"No Preview Available" and "File Format Is Not Supported" Error Messages Occur When You Try to View Graphic Files

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326675

Tufenuf

Collapse -
option
by jeff_windows_team / June 16, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

What program are you using to open them? Try opening them from a different program, as the filepath you are trying to take may be leading you to nowhere.

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
MY PICTURES WONT OPEN
by silly old sod / June 16, 2009 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: option

SOMETHING FUNNY GOING ON IV'E JUST FOUND OUT THAT I CANNOT OPEN ANYTHING IN ''MY DOCUMENTS''
EITHER

Collapse -
Sounds like
by jeff_windows_team / June 17, 2009 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: MY PICTURES WONT OPEN

your files have been corrupted. Do you know how to perform a system restore?

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
another thread to look at
by jeff_windows_team / June 17, 2009 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

I came across this thread that mimics our convo to this point, and an MSFT MVP offers a few solutions you should take a look at too: http://www.ureader.com/msg/12872792.aspx

Good Luck!
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
MY PICTURES WONT OPEN
by silly old sod / June 17, 2009 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

I have never been able to do a system restore for about 18 months now,
my PC goes through the motions but after it reboots it tells me that the system could not be restored

Collapse -
Re: MY PICTURES WONT OPEN
by Tufenuf / June 17, 2009 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: MY PICTURES WONT OPEN

silly old sod, What are the file extensions (.jpg, .txt, .exe, etc.) of the files you can't open in your My Documents folder? Also are you using AOL or CompuServe as I posted a link in my "More info" reply above.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
"This thread is more than 1672 days old."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2014 6:47 AM PST

This thread is more than 1672 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can create a new discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.