Windows 7 forum

my pen drive cannot be formatted nor edited

by pix12 / January 23, 2013 9:50 PM PST

Hey all, i have a mosebear 4gb pen drive which now cannot be formatted nor edited. adding new contents is also not possible.
As i insert my pen drive in usb port a message appears " you need to Format the drive before use... and as i try to format it pushes an error msg you donot have sufficient rights to perform this operation"..
I tried cmd command to format it but there it states "please insert a disk in drive i".
Can anyone please help me..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my pen drive cannot be formatted nor edited
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my pen drive cannot be formatted nor edited
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: pen drive unusable.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 10:14 PM PST

1. Try it on another PC, just to see if the pen drive is OK and the USB-port on your PC is defective. The most likely outcome is that then pen drive has gone south.
2. Throw it away and use another one.

Collapse -
i cant throw it i need it
by pix12 / January 23, 2013 11:16 PM PST

i tried using in other pcs .. its shows the memeory of 3.64 gb buT doesn't open.. please help me get my pen drive back.... please...

Collapse -
Re: need it
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:17 AM PST

Why would you need a non-working pen-drive? I can't think of any use for it.

Of course, you might need another pen drive. I need them also. Luckily, they are cheap.

Collapse -
I need them. What on Earth for?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: need it

I have a few tech friends that we use them to slice or crack open to show or demo how to reflow solder joints that sometimes brings back a dead stick.

For some odd reason a few techs can't watch the YouTube and learn about this but need the hands on training.

Collapse -
If it fails on other units, it's likely gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 12:36 AM PST

Try the HP USB FORMAT TOOL (see google) for a last hurrah.

Collapse -
its gone
by pix12 / January 25, 2013 4:54 PM PST

i think its actully gone Sad ......i"ll get a new one...
Anyways thanks everyone for your valuable suggesstions... Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.