Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

MY PC says to Choose a program to open the file you want

by bhargavsura / June 6, 2008 3:46 AM PDT

I got my PC infected with some spyware and virus from online.

I used Spybot Search and Destroy to clear the spyware and the virus. I downloaded the Spyboth Search and Destroy software from download.com. The software worked and it did the job by clearing the spyware. But here comes the main problem.

Every time I try to open any program, my PC asks me to "Choose the program you want to open this file". So I have to go to Browse and use the file. I tried to go to Control Panel and try using the Add/Remove program to check if there was any program I can use to fix this problem. But none of the programs in the Control Panel work.
It says

"C:\\Windows\System32\rundll.exe Error! Application not found"

This happens for each and every application in the Control Panel. The next thing I tried to do was go for the Desktop properties. By right clicking on the desktop, I go to properties. It says the same thing.

I do not want to reboot the entire system as I would lose many important files and softwares from my school. Please Help!!!!PLEASE !!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MY PC says to Choose a program to open the file you want
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MY PC says to Choose a program to open the file you want
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 6, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

Click on the link below, then look to the "EXE File Association Fix", and download the .zip file to your computer desktop.. ONce there, unzip the file, then double click on the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file that is inside, choose "OK/Yes, when it asks "Are you sure?".. Restart the computer.. It should now run those problem programs and Control Panel icons.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by bhargavsura / June 7, 2008 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Please Try This...

Hello Grif

Really appreciate your help

But I did what you told me to do. I downloaded the file to my desktop. Unzipped it and then double clicked it to open. But this is what it says

"Application not found". I extracted all the files and save it to another file location. Once I did, it took me to the Finish step. I clicked Finish and Open the file. Nothing came up!
The file I downloaded to my desktop- I tried to double click it to open. But it is still asking me for the same thing: "Choose the program you want to use for the file":

I don't know what to do?

Collapse -
AFter You Unzip The File, Looking Inside..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 8, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

..you should see a file named: "xp_exe_fix.reg". Did you see that file and did you double click on it.. It appears like you didn't "unzip" the file correctly..

When you double click on a .reg file, it should ask you a "Are you sure?" question about changing the registry.. Did it do that? Once it's there, RIGHT click on the file, choose "Install"..

If you saw the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file and double clicking on it threw the "Application not found" error, please try downloading the file from the link below to your desktop. (Clicking on the link below will immediately start a download dialogue box..)

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes I did that
by bhargavsura / June 8, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

Hey grif

I did do that.I completely unzipped the file and I did double click but I am going to try it again and see if it works.

if not I will send you the images of how the things look with the errors by tonight.

thanks again

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / June 8, 2008 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did that

bhargavsura, Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that xp_exe_fix.reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Then Please Try The Other Instructions I Gave..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 9, 2008 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did that
Collapse -
It opens in a Notepad
by bhargavsura / June 9, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

Hey Grif

after I download the file that you gave the link to, it opens the file in notepad.

Here's what the notepad says

[Quote]
[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=FixSwen
DelReg=EnableRegTools

[FixSwen]
HKCR, "batfile\shell\open\command",,0,"""%1"" %*"
HKCR, "comfile\shell\open\command",,0,"""%1"" %*"
HKCR, "exefile\shell\open\command",,0,"""%1"" %*"
HKCR, "piffile\shell\open\command",,0,"""%1"" %*"
HKCR, "regfile\shell\open\command",,0,"regedit.exe "%1""
HKCR, "scrfile\shell\open\command",,0,"""%1"" /S"
HKCR, "scrfile\shell\config\command",,0,"%1"

[EnableRegTools]
HKCU, "software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system","DisableRegistryTools"
[/Quote]

Collapse -
You Didn't Follow My Instructions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It opens in a Notepad

After downloading the file to your desktop, RIGHT CLICK on the file, choose "Install" from the menu list.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Its still not doing anything
by bhargavsura / June 10, 2008 11:32 AM PDT

I did click Install by right clicking on the Fixswen Setup file and it didn't do anything and neither did it open any window!!

Collapse -
.reg Opens in Notepad - Right Click "Install" is no option
by chocolategorilla / September 3, 2011 4:37 PM PDT

I right click the xp_exe_fix.reg file, the only top option is MERGE. No "install" though. Not before or after extraction. Should I click merge?

Collapse -
Yes. Click "Merge".
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 4:19 AM PDT

Click "Merge". Then "OK". Restart your system.

If you run into a problem, see the "Note" (in red) just beneath the first set of instructions.

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, "Merge" Is Correct Too !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by josephhart / July 8, 2011 1:03 AM PDT

The program worked great. Thanks for your help.
Joseph

Collapse -
What do I do after Install
by bhargavsura / June 10, 2008 11:33 AM PDT

What do I do after right clicking Install. Because after right clicking Install, its not doing anything!

Collapse -
that worked great
by cityofsteel87 / March 17, 2010 10:18 AM PDT

thank you so much. i have been trying to fix that problem for over a week. This worked great.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Registry Editor
by BFC_FAN / August 24, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

if i double click it , it says am i sure i say yes and this comes up Registry Editor
cannot import C:/users/ /desktop/xp_exe_fix.reg: Not all data was succssefully written to the registry. Some Keys are open by the system or other processes.

then it gives me an option to say ok and thats it.

Collapse -
(NT) Try Running It In Safe Mode..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2010 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Editor
Collapse -
Try running it in safe mode
by bobbbyyy7 / January 21, 2012 5:31 AM PST

hello, griff. how do you run it in safe mode?

Collapse -
How To Start In Safe Mode..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 12:24 AM PST

See the instructions in the link below:

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Try Running it in safe mode
by jmurray213 / February 4, 2012 4:06 AM PST

Hello Grif,
I did all of the steps above, in safe mode. It is still saying; Registry Editor
cannot import C:/users/ /desktop/xp_exe_fix.reg: Not all data was succssefully written to the registry. Some Keys are open by the system or other processes.
Am I just screwed?
Jenn

Collapse -
Not Grif but..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 11:45 PM PST

Jenn..

Did you read at the top of the page for the "EXE File Association Fix", where it states:

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

You might want to give it a try, if you haven't already. If you have (and it didn't work for you), I'm sure Grif will be around to lend you an additional hand. Wink

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
I tried this too.
by Sariachan / March 27, 2012 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Grif but..

I tried doing exactly the same, but It just said it couldn't find it. And I have it unzipped on my desktop.

And if this is any help, the reason all my files seem to come up as 'Open with' was because I accidentally set one of my programs to open with a selected program, the program would open no matter what other shortcut I used, so I deleted the file. Now it just comes up as 'Open with'.

I am so worried too, because now my anti-virus isn't working. I don't know whan on earth I should do.

Collapse -
After unzip a file, it shows "Application Not Found"
by cntmc / March 5, 2011 4:20 AM PST

i went to your given site "http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf " and it shows "
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.8ccf6cce.1299356126.9445ccf"

I'm doing it wrong. Pls help me understand the problem and how to resolve this.

Regards.

Collapse -
Those instructions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2011 4:25 AM PST

are now around 3 years old and after all this time things have moved on, and they may no longer apply.

Please start again. Create your own discussion and give full details of the problems. Then specific help to your problem can be considered.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Fixswen its old isnt it called stinger now?
by Somethol / January 1, 2012 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Those instructions
Collapse -
NO... Stinger Is...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 10:50 AM PST

...a standalone virus removal tool by McAfee which removes specific type of malware. It's an executable file. (.exe).

Fixswen was a registry file which fixed only specific registry entries which may have been altered by viruses or trojans.. It is a .inf file.

In addition, as you stated, the Fixswen .inf file is an old tool which is no longer available.. Stinger still is available.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
spybot has blacklisted me
by wolfwoman2009 / June 9, 2008 9:11 AM PDT

I downloaded spybot because i use psp 8 and i need to use my e-mail allot,sometimes it has spyware that i need to be rid of,it had tryed to get rid of a main dll compotent in my pc,i didnt like that so i wanted to be rid of Spybot so i could use a diffrent spyware,I went into add and remove to remove it and now it wont let me download anyother spyware removal program,what do i do?I have xp home edition on a e machine

Collapse -
Thanks Grif !
by tnshadows / March 28, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

I was having the same problem mentioned here. I luckily came across your fix after I googled my problem. I did as you told the first poster to do, and it worked like a charm ! Thank you very much !

Collapse -
choose progame you want to open with
by rodeocowgirl1229 / April 3, 2010 11:30 PM PDT

ever progame i try and open on my pc i get the choose progame you want to open with.. i have read some of the things i should do but when i open my task manager and then go to new task then i type in what ever ppl are telling me i get the same thing choose what i would like to open this file with.. the only thing that is working right now is the internet can someone help thanks Mimi

Collapse -
Re: Try this
by Tufenuf / April 4, 2010 1:57 AM PDT

Mimi, If you downloaded that reg file click it and if you get the Open with box click the Browse button then in the Look in: window use the downward arrow button and browse to your C:\Windows folder, double click it to open it then locate the regedit.exe file hilite it than click the Open button on the lower right.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.