Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My pc privacy is being invaded by a parental control program

by nanogrone / July 19, 2007 3:47 PM PDT

Hello everyone, i have this problem somebody in my house has set up parental control on my pc, and this person is lurking my personal information, i need to know a way to stop this invasion and securing my pc from this happening again,thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My pc privacy is being invaded by a parental control program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My pc privacy is being invaded by a parental control program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without About 4 Tons More Info.....
by tobeach / July 19, 2007 5:31 PM PDT

Helping you is about impossible. What nanny program & version? System Info? AV/AS on board? Hosts File? Who's?
Why are you SURE it's a parental control not other protective program?
Are you a minor? You didn't fill out profile so no info available & as this is your 1ST post no past posting to give clues. Sorry! Happy

Collapse -
My pc privacy is being invaded by a parental control program
by nanogrone / July 20, 2007 1:37 AM PDT

Ok i might sound like a minor,i am not into computers as the mayority of you guys, but this happend really to a friend of mine, her husband aparently has set a parental control program on her pc and they are about to divorce, but it seems that he is been lurking on her personal information such a online banking password ,and this guy even took some money out her account..so i think thats serious and would really like to give her an advice, i hope somebody can help me ,thanks.

Collapse -
Still need more information...

As tobeach said, more information is needed:
* What operating system is being used?
* Does she have administrative access?
* What are the symptoms of this control software? Is it saying she can't visit certain websites, blocking access certain programs, limiting the time that can be spent on the computer, or...?
* Does she know what 'parental control program' is being used? (Is there a window shown at startup, icon next to the clock, etc.)

Legal options vary depending on where she lives, but there's nothing we can advise from the technical aspect without more information.

Let us know.

Collapse -
Irregardless of SW..if true
by rochagomes / July 22, 2007 10:59 PM PDT

If your story is true and I am not sure what lurking means..but here is my advice. If it truely, a private account and not a joint account...she can called the bank and disable on-line banking or change her password. I know some PC SW allows the PARENT to "view" all sites visited but displaying the password...to the person doing the monitoring I am not sure.

And I agree with the other member....stay out of it! It can be messy and dangerous.

Oh and if she has Admin rights...try to restore the machine to the original state of the computer.....back up any data she wants before hand. It may be the most "crude" method of fixing PCs but in the end...restore does the job and you do need to be an expert to fix your machine

Collapse -

Well, this is the first time I have heard this. As long as you are a computer administrator you can shut down the program. A lot of antiviruses such as McAfee have parental controls, or this person may have downloaded a program to do so. To tell you the truth, you need to post more info. Only then can anybody help you. Look at the red letters above the "Subject title" in the post screen. They explain what to include.

Collapse -
You must be kidding!
by Grimbles / July 20, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

This is just a guess but how close am I? You are a minor whose parents or guardians have installed parental control software on your computer and now you want to find out how to get around it.
If I am completely off base and your far fetched story just happens to be true then here is my advice. STAY OUT OF IT! It is dangerous territory between husband and wife even if they are in the process of divorce.

Collapse -
Seperate Computers
by khuss66 / July 23, 2007 2:26 AM PDT

Tell 'your friend' to get a new computer, and password protect it from others installing software on it.

After all, if they're splitting, they will both need a computer.

Collapse -
Email Privacy
by kim271 / March 17, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

I am also being invaded, and not a minor for many years, but a jealous husband. Not only is he reading them, but erasing them after he reads them. Is there any way to get around this, or find out if I have a program on my computer?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.