Computer Help forum

General discussion

My PC Keeps restarting On its Own!!!??? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!

by reesiepieces / October 27, 2003 1:48 AM PST

I need help in the worst way. I don't know what is wrong, but my computer keeps restarting on its own. It restarts back to back everytime i turn it on. I thought is was the Blaster Worm but I have Windows ME.
I also thought it might be the SoBigworm, but no one on any of my addressbooks have been sent mail by me. Im very frustrasted with this. I need my PC for school and I can't get any work done because it wont act righ! Can anyone help me??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PC Keeps restarting On its Own!!!??? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PC Keeps restarting On its Own!!!??? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reesie, It Could Be Lots Of Things
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2003 2:19 AM PST

1. Please run the free online virus scanner at the links below:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

2. Take off the computer cover, clean out the inside, check fans, then run the computer w/cover off.

3. Click on Start-Programs-Start Up. If there are any listings in the Start Up area, you need to delete as many as you can.(Right click the listing and choose 'Delete') Please remember that these are just shortcuts to programs and not actual program files, so its safe to delete them. Don't get rid of some that you really like like Microsoft Shortcut Bar or any others that you really want on the screen when it starts.

Then click on Start-Run, in the typing area put 'msconfig' (without the quotes), press Ok. When the System Configuration Utiltiy box opens, click on the Start Up tab. You will see a number of listings with boxes and check marks in them. These are programs that run at start up. You can safely uncheck many of the boxes. Don't uncheck System Tray, Scan Registry, or your Virus Scan startup programs. After you?re done, click 'Apply', then 0K, and the computer will ask you to restart. Do it and then check your resources again. Hopefully they are much higher.(Don't worry too much, if you make a mistake you can always go back to this box and put a check back in any of the listings you want)

If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in 'msconfig', post back, or check for yourself at this site: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm. At this site, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the 'The Programs' section and click on the 'Full List' link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Reesie, It Could Be Lots Of Things
by reesiepieces / October 28, 2003 11:14 AM PST

HI Gif I tried your advice and for the most part I think it worked there is just one thing that is bothering me...When I tried to run the online virus scan it restarted again.. This is the only time that is did it.. Another this is that you said i should clean out my c:\windows\Temp files. Now do I delete all of them or just the ones that i don't think that i will need. Thank you Very much for your time and advice.

Collapse -
Reesie, This Is How I Do It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 28, 2003 12:41 PM PST

Double click on the Temp folder within Windows. There may be a bunch of files in this folder that were placed there by various program installations and uninstallations. Normally, these all should be safe to delete, UNLESS you have 'saved' any personal documents here. Just to be careful, highlight a small group of files and delete them to the Recycle Bin. Restart the computer, run the programs, and generally test to make sure that any necessary files haven't been removed. If you don't experience any problems, and you shouldn't, then remove that bunch from the Recycle Bin, then choose another group of files from the C\Windows\Temp folder and delete them to the Recycle Bin.

After removing all the above files, and if you?re using WinMe, temporarily disable your 'System Restore' by RIGHT clicking on 'My Computer', choose 'Properties'. When that loads, click on the 'Performance' tab, click on the 'File System' button, click the 'Repair/Troubleshooting' button, and then place a CHECK mark in the 'Disable System Restore' button. Click 'Apply' if it?s highlighted, then OK, then restart the computer. This will decrease the ever-increasing size of System Restore. Restart the computer again, then 're-enable' System Restore by UNCHECKING the box mentioned above. At this time run Scandisk and Defrag to correct and align the file system to its optimum per my previous suggestion.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
my pc keeps restarting on its own
by gster91 / January 7, 2008 3:25 AM PST

hi i have a fair bit of knowledge concerning computers but i cant seem to fix this one problem....

the pc is 2 years old it has a asus mother board and it is running on windows xp proffessional...

everytime i start it up it gets to the desktop and half way through loading the screen goes blank and then there is a flash of blue with white writing on but it goes off and the pc restarts before i can read it.. i cant acce any icons or delete any short cuts on the start menu before it restarts and i have tried opening and cleaning the mother board also.

i cant afford to lose the vuluable info on the computer so please some guidance is really needed i think it has something to do with the chkdsk but windows automatially runsthe clean up and i cant access safe mode..

thanks

Collapse -
Since you can't lose information...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 4:02 AM PST

Back that up first. OR just install a new hard disk and try a fresh install of the OS to sniff out if it's the hardware or the OS.

Remember you are telling me you can't afford to lose files. That means we can afford to backup, use other drives during the troubleshooting.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry so you have the same issue as above?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 4:03 AM PST

"Memory Decreasing error?"

That was a big clue your machine has severe memory issues. Fix that.

-> If this is not your discussion you may be mislead since it's not your issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Reesie, Here Is Another 'Free' Antivirus Programs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 28, 2003 12:48 PM PST
Collapse -
MY COMPUTER KEEPS RESTARTING AND ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!
by Heya!! / September 5, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

hi .. i have been having this problem for a while now it started when i went onto add and remove items and deleted something i wasnt supposed to. A few days after this it kept restarting itself before it reached the desktop, and occasionally got a message on a blue screen. I sent my computer off to have the system re-loaded and it came back a few weeks later, fine! Now its starting to do it again but it doesnt do it straight away its about 30 minutes and then it restarts itself, then it constantly does it untill i just give up! Everytime it comes back on theres a helpline thing that shows different ways to solve the problems but tried all but none work. Its really annoying, i have been considering getting a new computer but really can't afford a new one, so i thought i would ask for your help before i can consider getting a new one!

Collapse -
Tried All The Steps Listed In This Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 5, 2007 6:56 AM PDT

Unfortunately, you've given us almost no information about your computer, the operating system, the age of the machine, or what you've tried to fix the issue..

Opened up the case and blasted the dust from inside?

Checked for bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

Scanned for malware using multiple antispyware tools?

Replaced the power supply yet?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
MY COMPUTER KEEPS RESTARTING AND ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!
by Heya!! / September 6, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

hi sorry im new to this... its about 2 years old but only be set up 2 the internet for about a year so its not really that old..
i seriously don't know much about computers so you might have to explain Checked for bulging capacitors on the motherboard.
Sorry what do you mean replace the power supply??...
i really sorry for being so dumb about this!

thanks

Collapse -
Still Need More Information...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 6, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

Which operating system? (XP, W2000, Windows 98, Millenium Edition?) Laptop or desktop?

As to bulging capacitors, see the link below:

Blown and Leaking Motherboard Capacitors - A Serious Problem? ...

And since the machine may not be too old, please do a complete cleanup of the computer using the link below. (Be sure to download, install, and run the antispyware tools mentioned.) It may take a while to follow all the procedures but it should help:

Cleanup Steps

The power supply is the item that supplies power to the computer tower.. (You plug the power cord into it on the back of the computer tower.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Computer Help =[
by Heya!! / September 8, 2007 3:56 AM PDT

hi..i tried the stuff you told me to try, still didnt work, still restarted after a certain amount of time, this is doing my head in!
Any other advice??

Collapse -
Which 'Stuff' Did You Try? And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Help =[

...as asked before, which operating system are you using?

What did the malware scans turn up? Did you blow out the internal components with compressed air? Replaced the power supply yet? How many programs and services did you disable?

The more information you give us, the better informed our answers will be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I Used...
by Heya!! / September 8, 2007 10:58 PM PDT

the operation system is windows XP ...
and i tired all the advice, that you listed in the last reply...
i don't know much about computers so all the stuff you have just asked me if i have done i don't know what they are and how you do it!..like how do you do a malware scan?.. blow out the internet components with compressed air, im seriously really dumb!

Collapse -
Sounds Like You'll Need Some Help There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I Used...

These two statements don't go together:

"i tired all the advice, that you listed in the last reply..."

"i don't know much about computers so all the stuff you have just asked me if i have done i don't know what they are and how you do it!"

So it's clear you haven't used the antispyware/malware scanners I provided in the earlier link. You may, or may not have cleaned out all the junk files, disabled unnecessary startup programs and services, plus run defrag and Chkdsk/Error Checking. You haven't opened up the computer tower and cleaned out all the dust and junk by using a can of compressed air. You haven't replaced the power supply which may or may not be necessary after following all the previous steps.. You haven't done a number of the things mentioned in the previous replies.. Yet, you say you have done all these things..??

We need honest/correct answers to our questions.. Each step must be completed correctly before we can move on to the next..

Sorry to say this but in order to continue with this discussion, you may need to get a friend or relative that has some amount of computer experience so they can follow simple basic troubleshooting instructions..

Let us know when you have some help.

Grif

Collapse -
Reesie, After That....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2003 2:28 AM PST

Make sure to do a cleanup of your hard drive by uninstalling all unnecessary programs, cleaning out the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder, deleting all .tmp files on the computer, cleaning out the C\Windows\Temp folder. AFter that, run Scandisk and Defrag to correct and align the file system to its optimum. Do the Scandisk first, then the Defrag. After opening Scandisk, place a CHECK mark in 'Automatically Fix Errors'. Click on the 'Advanced' button, then make sure the settings look like this:
<b>Display Summary=Always
Log File=Replace Log
Cross-linked File=Delete
Lost File Fragments=Free
Check Valid Files For=Place a check in ALL of the options
Check Host Drive First</b>

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Reesie, After That....
by Michael Geist / October 27, 2003 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Reesie, After That....

See if you can do a System Restore in Safe Mode to a time prior to the onset of the problem.. Press F8 while the computer is booting to get to safe mode.

Collapse -
Re:My PC Keeps restarting On its Own!!!??? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!
by pratbirdman / October 30, 2003 11:39 PM PST

I was having this same problem. First make sure that your fans are working. If your PC overheats, it will reboot. I have three fans now in my PC and also included coolers for the memory chips - there are cheap ($6.00). If your fans are working the next thing is to verify you don't have bad memory. If you have more than one, remove the first one and move one of the other into the first slot. See if that helps. Keep changing these out and if it stops rebooting then you found the bad memory card. I took my PC to the shop and they quickly found the bad memory card. Once I removed it, the rebooting stopped. Good luck!

Collapse -
Re:Re:My PC Keeps restarting On its Own!!!??? HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!
by reesiepieces / October 31, 2003 1:55 AM PST

Thanks for the tip.. I think it is bad memory because, I sometimes I'll get a error message that says Memory Decreasing. What does this mean I have no clue but that was the first indcation that It might be something wrong with the memory. Someone suggested that I take off the cover and clean the inside. When I did that I notice that It was very dusty on the inside so that might have been the problem as well, so at this point I'll try any and everything.. Thanks for the tip, I will try this and see if it works as well. Thank you again.

Collapse -
Memory Decreasing error?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 2:12 AM PST

THAT'S A BIG CLUE!

Let me take a big leap and note some items.

1. For Word, the 'cure-all' to it giving a similar message is to find and delete the NORMAL.DOT files. When you run Word again, a new clean file will be created.

2. Find out what is giving this message. Supply the EXACT WORDS in quotes in this forum so we can zero-in on that.

3. Consider ejecting all PARASITES. I noted the five best tools (free!) at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Memory Decreasing error?
by reesiepieces / November 4, 2003 1:54 PM PST

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advice but I have one question what is Normal.DOTS files and how do I get to them to deleted them. computer is still restarting could it be a suppressed virus hiding in a partition??
Thanks again

Collapse -
Normal.dot
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 4, 2003 2:12 PM PST

When you create a new word document your computer automatically creates a normal.dot template.

Do a 'search' for Normal.dot files.

Collapse -
Not exactly, but close.
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2007 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Normal.dot

When you first run MS Word it creates a default template, called normal.dot. You can change that (for example, if you want other page margins or another font in all your new documents) and it's the default place to store the macro's you record. Of course you can create new templates yourself (one for a letter, one for a report, one for a fax).

Sometimes the normal.dot template is corrupted somehow, resulting in strange behaviour of MS Word. Then the easiest thing is to delete it and let Word recreate a new one.

Finding them is as simple as doing a search in My Computer or Windows Explorer, but you may have to change some settings in Config Panel>Folder options (show hidden files, show file extensions) to actually see it. The exact location depends on both the OS and the version of Word. All I can say is that mine (Windows XP, Word 2000) is in the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates folder.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Try the CMOS Setting
by mahoopes / March 12, 2010 11:17 AM PST

My XP computer had the same problem, and I found that the CMOS settings called for a daily start-up. I de-selected that and have not had a problem since. Check it out!

Collapse -
Troubleshooting PC restarts
by alin_paran / August 30, 2010 4:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.