Camcorders forum

General discussion

my PC does not recognize the camcorder via USB

by mikmum / September 18, 2006 1:02 AM PDT

I recently borrowed a Canon MV6i digital camcorder from a friend. When I tried to connect it to a PC via a Firewire-to-USB cable, the PC failed to recognize the camcorder asa USB device. Is this a problem with the cable or the camcorder itself. FYI, the Canon camcorder was purchased in Asia and it was a PAL system. Does this matter?

Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my PC does not recognize the camcorder via USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my PC does not recognize the camcorder via USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try just firewire and WINDV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2006 1:35 AM PDT

Does Windv see if on the firewire connection?

As to USB that's been tried and the results are not acceptable to most. Plus I see no mention you installed the drivers for that to work.

Bob

Collapse -
USB used to transfer stills from memory card ONLY
by boya84 / September 22, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

Firewire used to transfer video and its audio.

Collapse -
I cannot connect my camcorder to my pc
by yadab1 / October 18, 2006 2:10 PM PDT

I cannot connect my camcorder to pc. When connet through usb-firewire, a message displaing that " the device attached to this computer is malfunction, windows cannot recognize it. In the device manager, there is an UNKNOWN DEVICE is seen under the usb controllers. And in the status of that UNKNOWN DEVICE, it is seen that " the driver file for this device is not loaded". I have neither driver file not firewire card. the operating system is xp professional with sp2. I want to connect my camcorder to pc through usb end -firewire end cable. Is is impossible ? please help me

Collapse -
The camera is behaving properly. The computer is
by boya84 / October 19, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

probably behaving properly - along with the software. The issue is that the computer needs a firewire port. Then you can use a firewire cable and not the firewire/USB cable that is not working.

It is possible that the application is looking for a firewire connection - not USB... and the communications protocols are different - so it is really confused.

Collapse -
Video Transfer
by Rethed Red / August 6, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

I have a JVC camcorder. When i connect it to my pc(windows) it recognizes it only when i'm transfering pictures but when i try to transfer a video, my pc can't find my camcorder and disconnects from each other. Im using a USB cable like the ipod wire, can this be the problem?

Collapse -
Try using Firewire.
by Kiddpeat / August 6, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Transfer

You would do better to start your own thread.

Collapse -
My computer doesn't recognise my Panasonic dvdr150 camcorder
by ShMark / July 11, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

I too have the same problem. The pc recognises our digital still camera as a removable drive with a FAT file system, when you connect it to the pc via a USB port. Using the identical cable and USB port, the pc does not recognise the camcorder ie it doesn't show it as a removable drive. We have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

Please can someone help me

Collapse -
Questions...
by whizkid454 / July 11, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

1) What brand and model is the digital camera?
2) Have you followed the directions in the manual for how to connect to the computer? (i.e. install needed drivers and software, etc.)
3) What are the specs of your system? If bought from a maunfacturer, what brand and model is it?

Collapse -
I could not find any "Panasonic DVDR150"
by boya84 / July 11, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

Is it a miniDV tape based unit? If yes, you transfer via firewire/iLink/IEEE1394 (all the same thing). You may need to add a firewire port to your computer - and get a Firewire cable - they are not normally included in the box with the camcorder when you buy it.

Is it a hard drive based unit? If yes, and the hard drive is not mounting, did you install the drivers? Hard drive based camcorders would normally mount via USB.

Is it a DVD based unit? If yes, you do not transfer video by connecting the camcorder - take the DVD out of the camera (you may need to finalize the disc in the camera depending on the disc used), put the disc in the DVD drive of the computer and rip the DVD using a DVD ripper.

Collapse -
Pretty sure they meant VDR-D150.
by whizkid454 / July 11, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

And if so, it is a DVD camcorder.

To OP: If this is the correct camcorder, please answer my questions from my previous post.

Collapse -
Thanks - some answers
by ShMark / July 11, 2007 2:39 PM PDT

Yes, that's the correct make for the camera. The cd/dvd drive on our pc doesn't recognise DVD-RAM discs, which is what we have, and there were no instructions in the manual for copying data from the discs to a pc. One question - if I could use a DVD ripper, would that be able to copy the data back to another dvd?

Collapse -
There is no "VDR-D150"
by boya84 / July 11, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks - some answers

manual at Panasonic.com - but I'll take your word for it. Whether you PC can handle the disc... you told us it can't do DVDRAM. Is it a CD drive (not a DVD drive)? If that is the case, you need a drive that can handle DVD formatted discs. Once you have that, then the DVD ripper would be appropriate. I suppose it is possible that you actually have a DVD drive on there but it just does not like DVDRAM formatting - you can try something like ISOBuster (you can google that yourself) - you have not provided enough information.

Not that it matters at this point, but you should know that the quality of the video you get off that disc and on to your computer for editing is not going to be very good...

The manual for the VDRD100-200 indicated a DVDRAM driver is needed and that driver is on the CD that came with the camera (pages 96 and 101)... then the USB connection can use the camera as an external device...

Collapse -
By chance, are you in Australia?
by whizkid454 / July 11, 2007 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks - some answers

I did an easy Google search to find that the VDR-D150 is an Australian product.

Manual: http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/downloads/file_type_results.cfm?fileTypeID=2&productCategoryID=16

According to the manual, USB can be used as a method of transfer so your DVD drive is not necessary. Although I cannot find any specifics on whether any extra software is required on the computer. I do think that a driver is necessary which is usually included with the camcorder.

Once again:
1) What brand and model is the digital still camera?
2) Have you followed the directions in the manual for how to connect to the computer? (i.e. install needed drivers and software, etc.)
3) What are the specs of your computer? If bought from a maunfacturer, what brand and model is it?

Collapse -
(NT) Scratch the 2nd question...
by whizkid454 / July 11, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.