Computer Help forum

General discussion

My PC clock does not keep time Why?

by musicmutt1 / November 30, 2009 4:37 PM PST

Hi everyboby me being a bit PC dull maybe asking a silly question ,, I upgraded my PC from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate since doing this my PC clock will not keep the correct time ,, if I shut down and restart the clock displays a different time if I adjust it on the time a date it will still not keep time and the apply tab does not function just the OK ,,If I sync with the internet time same applies the clock will stay correct as with the date and time adjustment until it goes into stand by when I restart the time displayed could be anything so I have to adjust the date/time again that's the gist of it folks anyone know a fix thanks for reading best regards to all ,,,, Tony

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PC clock does not keep time Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PC clock does not keep time Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you know . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 30, 2009 9:41 PM PST

that that complex piece of machinery called a PC relies on a little battery to keep the clock working? It's on the motherboard and is flat and silver, like a large hearing aid battery. Replace it.

Since you didn't share the make and model of the PC I'll let you investigate/read the owner's manual for the procedure.

Collapse -
My Pc Clock will not keep time
by musicmutt1 / December 1, 2009 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Did you know . . .

Hi Dude many thanks for your response to my question I will investigate it change the battery and post the outcome many thanks best regards Tony

Collapse -
My PC clock will not keep the correct time
by musicmutt1 / December 1, 2009 8:01 AM PST

Hi well I changed the battery but the problem persists ,,, I changed the battery at 22.15 and at midnight GMT the time on the PC is 23.06 that ia a 51 minute loss in just under 2hrs ,, so the problem is not resolved ,,, thanks for the tip dude but it did not work ,,so does anyone have another suggestion ,,, best regards Tony

Collapse -
My Pc clock will not keep the correct time
by musicmutt1 / December 1, 2009 8:14 AM PST

Well my friend changing the battery did not resolve the problem ,,i Changed it at 22.15 when I reset the correct time and resync ,, still no apply tab just the ok ,, the out come is that in just under 2 hours the time lost 51 minuets checked at midnight GMT by my watch and the time displayed was 23.06 ,,, thanks for the tip ,,do you or anyone else have a an alternative solution that may resolve the problem? ,,, best rtegards Tony

Collapse -
by nefeteria / December 13, 2009 3:04 PM PST

I have windows XP laptop and my clock was losing time as well. When you do a resync,. make sure you are connected to the internet. Also after you have set the right time click on the REFRESH button on your browser. It worked for me.

Collapse -
my PC clock will not keep the correct time
by musicmutt1 / December 13, 2009 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Tony

Many thanks for the info unfortunately that does not work as I have tried it several times so my problem still persists any others ideas will be most welcome ,,,, I changed the battery again and that has not solved it either ,,,,

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2009 10:47 PM PST

I ran into this on a CRACKED (pirate) install of XP Pro. To fix it we had to go get the real license and such. And after that we had to install the OS just like we do all the time with drivers for the machine that MSFT does not provide.

This one is for the books. You gotta wonder why some think these pirate copies should work proper.

Collapse -
my PC clock does not keep time
by musicmutt1 / December 15, 2009 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

Thanks for the info but the copy of Vista I installed is bona fide legal as it is a full uk retail product since starting this thread I have evem reformatted my hard drive after wiping it clean and guess what I still have the same problem it is bugging me as to the cure many thanks again regards Tony

Collapse -
MyPC will not keep the correct time
by musicmutt1 / December 25, 2009 10:55 PM PST

ok folks it's cured it seems that after a complete reformat of the hard drive with my Vista disc and all the updates and service packs it appears to be working fine now so many thanks to all who offered help regards to all Tony

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.