Windows Legacy OS forum

My newly cloned slave drive listed as Local. Problem booting

by Turbomentor / April 6, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

I made a clone of my primary drive hoping I could hook it up to the cable as the primary drive and boot from it. Nope , now both drives are listed as local and the system wont follow through without the slave being connected now. It will freeze after the initial loading and shows the dell loading bar . frozen . What do I do ? The system is very unhappy. Both disks are Caviar blue 500 gb and I used Acronis .Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My newly cloned slave drive listed as Local. Problem booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My newly cloned slave drive listed as Local. Problem booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So these are IDE drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 7:06 AM PDT

Please supply all the details such as IDE cable type, jumpers, etc. Since the drives are identical, clone with Clonezilla next time.

Collapse -
It'sa foxcomm
by Turbomentor / April 6, 2013 11:05 PM PDT

The system is an old Dell 8100 . The jumpers are on the factory set up .I formatted the primary and installed XP. IT worked , then I made a clone using Acronis. Now both disks are local and it is because Acronis did something as far as IDing goes.

Collapse -
Forget factory setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: It'sa foxcomm

Tell me exactly how it is setup. Without the details I can't guess why this didn't work.

As to the clone, you did it with a bootable CD? Not from Windows?

Collapse -
I appreciate your assistance. Thanks . Chris.
by Turbomentor / April 7, 2013 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget factory setup.

I have two Caviar Blue

My cable seems to be working fine and in Computer management /Storage all indications are that my C: is primary and E : is a slave and both are fine. What I did was I used Acronis which is disk managment software which you can see in the first link is supplied by WD . What Acronis did was reboot my system into its own program , windows did not boot up Acronis did . Then it made a clone of the C drive . The C drive was the all installed from the original XP pro CD and upgraded with the service packs one and two immediately I have yet to install the third which I should have installed first. But it all works fine now except that both disks are showing up as local and I cant disconnect the slave drive without rendering the system unbootable. After sleeping on it , I reckon Acronis did it and if I do something else with the disk it will probably undo it. Like if I partition the slave drive the clone will be sacrificed. That however is a gamble so I want to do some more Q and A . There is an Acronis users forum I am going to give that a shot as well. I checked the installation guide and there is no special setting for the jumpers needed . I appreciate your assistance. Thanks . Chris.

Collapse -
Sounds like a bum clone software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

Sorry but I truly wish I could read the jumper settings and the IDE cable type.

Clone again but use CLONEZILLA.

Collapse -
Maybe you can help here
by Turbomentor / April 14, 2013 3:39 PM PDT

I have attached an SAT drive and cloned it form the slave with the MBR on it. I reads as true bootable. But it fails the test and stops windows with a message saying interrupted for safety new hardware was probably the issue . I can go into the drive and open files , just wont boot through. The jumper setting are off and I have diagrams for the two jumpers and where they need to go to turn them on if that is what is needed. As of now it is off. I also created a recovery disk of the XP installation disk with Sp3.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try this?
by tonyron227 / April 7, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

After you cloned the primary drive, did you remove it and replace it with the newly cloned drive? The new drive should boot now. And what was the reason for you cloning it in the first place?

Collapse -
I wanted a backup drive in case Windows crashed like it did
by Turbomentor / April 7, 2013 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try this?

My system is old , the least I should do is get some more RAM but I am amazed at what I have been capable of getting by with. The reason it crashed was many faceted. I downloaded a toolbar trojan Mdjx or something and everything went bad from there after I downloaded AVG antivirus., It is too much for my system to handle. Then Real player became an issue and then while using Recording studio software it crashed and that was just about the end of it. I am looking for a used dual core and am looking into ways I could run two old systems side by side . Not sure If I could run one on XP and one on Windows7 and have one monitor but it sure would help .

Anyway yes I did try and boot the slave HD as a primary by switching the cable plugs but it wouldnt detect it . I am leery of playing around like that again as when it does boot up after being jammed it really makes noise and I fear one of the drives could fail. You know I have an old Maxtor HD that probably still works . Its a SATA so I will probably give that a try just to see if it still works seeing I have another slot open. I just need some insurance to keep the system up and running. As long as I can keep one of two bootable drives working I can always fix the other. Eventually I will build another system from scratch . I saw a motherboard and processor for 100$ on the Sunday Frys deals. Funny how Apple has one part of the equation but it''s the PC tower that has more interchangeable parts and a layperson can work their way up in hardware assembly experience. Getting my hands on some old systems and working on them would be a good learning experience. I rebuilt my 8100 when the motherboard went. Salvaging is fun.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.