Samsung forum

General discussion

My new Samsung LCD LN40B610, says 120hz, but only 60hz ?

by jerrie21 / September 16, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

I was so excitied to get a new LCD TV, did lots of research online etc. to find a good mid-range TV and now that's its home and set up, I think it is only a 60hz...??? The manual specs say 60hz, and a small box in the top left hand corner of the screen reads 1920 x 1080i @ 60hz ??? This does this for all channels, including HD ones, and yes I have changed the picture options to the auto motion plus 120hz to 'smooth' which it recommends for optimum 120hz performance, but still reads "@60hz" in the top corner ??? HELP!!! I am ready to return this TV since 120hz was one of the main reasons I bought this TV ...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My new Samsung LCD LN40B610, says 120hz, but only 60hz ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My new Samsung LCD LN40B610, says 120hz, but only 60hz ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
120/240 Hz vs 60 Hz
by _jr_ / September 16, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
My new Samsung LCD LN40B610, says 120hz, but only 60hz ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 16, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

If that link doesn't answer your question, let me know and I'll be happy to explain further.

Collapse -
120hz TV really only a 60hz ?????
by jerrie21 / September 16, 2009 5:29 PM PDT

thanx for the link, still a bit confused, sorry, you said it will upconvert and show 120hz on the panel ? what panel, and where can I see that to ease my mind because so far the TV has not impressed me !!! HD channels seems cool and crisp (all 4 of them) and so do movies, but regular TV seems blotchy and fuzzy ??? I was going to spend the extra money and buy the 750 series with 240hz but thought that 120hz would be great !!! I understand if it doesn't show on the TV maybe but why in the manual would it not say 120hz instead of 60hz under the specs ??? Seems a bit dodgey to me...

Collapse -
What is 60hz?
by sam ma / August 1, 2010 12:31 PM PDT

If you see vertical freq = 60Hz, that is not refresh rate.
If you see 120V@60 Hz, that is not the update rate either.
The only thing I see on my spec is the refresh time = Xms.
If it says 8ms, it is 1/8ms = 125Hz, approximately 120Hz.
But, I never saw the 120Hz on my panel, question for Tech!

Collapse -
please explain more...
by jerrie21 / September 17, 2009 5:38 PM PDT

Hi, thanks for the link, see other reply, and please yes, explain more, doesn't seem right that manual specs would say 60hz on a 120hz TV ???? Thank you

Collapse -
please explain more...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2009 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: please explain more...

Not a problem.

All of the inputs on components you own will output at 60Hz.

Cable/sat, VCR, DVD, Blu-Ray, Game consoles - all of them.

So the television will receive the 60Hz signal. From there, the television will show each of those frames twice. This increases the smoothness of motion since the processing also creates a smoother transition (resulting in more fluid motion) than a 60Hz LCD.

Since the panel is a 120Hz panel, it can only show a 120Hz picture. This processing of doubling the frame rate is done inside of the television. Regardless of the input (24Hz, 30Hz or 60Hz), it will always show 120Hz.

What manual specs are saying that the television is showing 60Hz?

Collapse -
My new Samsung LCD LN40B610,
by dpelay1 / January 7, 2010 1:18 AM PST

This is a response to the post from jerrie21. I had the same question about the 120hz but the TV keeps showing 60hz your explanation helped but you did not answer his question about the regular TV channels look blurry? Should i be using a different HDMI cable?

Collapse -
Display feature not clear
by FrankConnors / April 1, 2012 7:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the information, has really cleared things up.

What I understand is the 720 x 480 @ 60hz, 60hz being the source.
The 120 hz panel will then refresh the incoming picture twice to make it 120hz and make the tv smoother.
Regardless of whether the panel is refreshing correctly or not, it will always display @ 60hz because that is the incoming source

What is not clear is how you actually know the panel is performing at 120hz or not.

How can this be confirmed?

Collapse -
Display feature not clear -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2012 3:53 AM PDT

FrankConnors -

If the panel isn't showing 120Hz, it won't be showing anything. It absolutely must show 120Hz by design.

60Hz is the source if the incoming signal is 60Hz. All theatrical movies are filmed in 24p (frames), and if your Blu-Ray player is set to send that signal in 24p format, the TV will take that 24p signal, display the frame 5 times and make 120Hz. But the INFO bar will display 24Hz. Or 30Hz. Or 60Hz, depending on the incoming signal, and that is determined by your source - how your cable box is set, or game console, or Blu-Ray player. Those devices have settings, and determines if the output signal is 24Hz, 30Hz or 60Hz. In some cases, you can change them. In others, you can't. That depends on the source box.

In no way can the TV show a raw 24Hz signal without first upconverting it.

The INFO bar will display 60Hz, or 30hz or 24Hz, as those signals can be used - and upconverted. The TV will process each one of them differently, but they absolutely MUST be upconverted to 120Hz (by processing) before those images can be shown on the TV.

The nice part with 120Hz televisions is that the upconversion process is mathematically correct for the incoming signals.

24Hz x 5 = 120Hz
30Hz x 4 = 120Hz
60Hz x 2 = 120Hz

Back when panels were 60Hz, and you had a 24Hz movie frame, you had a 3:2 pulldown conversion to compensate for the fact that 24Hz didn't evenly divide into the 60hz TV, which sometimes caused motion blur. 120Hz addresses that automatically, and you want it to. It's a better picture.

So all that is happening, and the television is merely informing you that you have a 60hz signal that represents the incoming signal. If you're watching a movie and it's a little blurry, you might use that information to decide to change the Blu-Ray settings to 24Hz, and you'll know that 24Hz is coming in. So it's just letting you know WHAT that incoming signal is. Happy

Does that help a little?

Collapse -
by FrankConnors / April 2, 2012 7:38 AM PDT

Clear as can be!

Must be working at 120 or it would nto work at all Happy

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2012 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: solved.

FrankConnors -

I could have probably just said that without all the extra stuff, huh? Wink

Collapse -
I grasp what you are trying to explain but then why do pc
by Rickbatista / September 14, 2012 3:26 AM PDT

still only get the 60hz refresh rate if the tv is by design 120hz. See for movies i can understand it would not make a difference because like you said it comes standard and would not need that but for a computer and a gamer like myself, having your computer bogged down by 60hz hurts in some games.

Collapse -
Look at reponse time, don't just look at frequency!
by sam ma / August 1, 2010 9:13 AM PDT

Are you looking at the response time?
The vertical frequency or voltage range can both say 60Hz.
But, the response time (let me define RT) can be 8ms or less.
If it is, you TV has a response rate or refresh rate of 1/RT.
e.g. my TV has a 5 ms response time (i.e. 1/5 ms = 200 Hz)!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.