Desktops forum

My New Gaming PC!! help?

by SharekhQ8 / February 27, 2013 5:21 AM PST

Can anyone please help me with the specs and such?
which one of the 600-series GeForce GTX GPUs are needed for which kind of needs?
What's the difference between each of the intel core i7 processors?
and how much RAM do I need for a killer Gaming experience?
and is there something I seem to be missing?

If you guys can answer these questions and help me with this I will be so grateful that I will need a poem to express it!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My New Gaming PC!! help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My New Gaming PC!! help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
PC Help
by talonsin / February 27, 2013 5:48 AM PST

Lets start with the 600 Series Video Cards

650 - $110
660 - $220
670 - $399
680 - $470

The difference in the price reflects the difference in CUDA cores and memory on the card. The more cores and memory, the more expensive. But lets talk reality... If you are running a 24 inch or smaller, you really dont need the 670 or 680. The 670 and 680 will allow you to run max settings on higher resolution monitors that are bigger than 24 inches. For the majority of gamers, the 660 will run max settings at 1600x1200.

You can spend more money and your benchmarks will show better numbers but I honestly doubt YOU could tell the difference between running a game on a 24 inch monitor between the 660 and the 670. Honestly, can the human eye tell the difference between 60 fps and 79fps?

I'll leave the i7 question to someone else but as far as memory goes, you might as well go with 12gigs at least since memory is so cheap. Memory is always used and 12 gigs seems to be the sweet spot on todays gaming rigs. If you have the cash, you might as well get the whole 24 gigs. but if you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, 12 gigs will serve you well.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
by SharekhQ8 / February 27, 2013 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: PC Help

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.. very helpful..

Collapse -
Let me give a few simple answers.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 5:50 AM PST

- For gaming video cards you look at the charts at
- For gaming you won't notice the difference between an i5 and an i7, so better invest your money in the video.
- The system requirements of the games you want to play should tell you all you need to know about the RAM they need. But I think 8 GB is more than enough generally.

Collapse -
by SharekhQ8 / February 27, 2013 2:27 PM PST

Thanks, but I don't think getting an i5 intel core processor is a good idea, cuz I will be using it for more uses that require alot of the hardware besides gaming.. eventually I will get into programming and other such uses..

Collapse -
The i5 is a powerfull
by orlbuckeye / March 5, 2013 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

processor and is better with heat then the i7. You don't need a fast processor for programming. Faster processors help with multitasking and lots of data processing. I work is IT in application development and we have XP machines is core 2 duo processors and 2 gb of ram.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.