Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My mouse stopped working

by Denny1 / March 8, 2005 5:52 PM PST

Recently I started my pc and my mouse didn't respond to my motions. It's an optical mouse. The next time I tried starting my pc it worked fine and now it has stopped working again. I have checked all the connections and they are tight. My pc is listed in my profile and I have windows xp home edition with sp2. I would appreciate any help!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My mouse stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My mouse stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may need to buy a new mouse
by glb613 / March 8, 2005 6:43 PM PST

They go bad. But be sure the USB port is not the problem. Plug something else into it and see if it works properly.

Collapse -
Denny, Just A Thought...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 9, 2005 2:17 AM PST

Certainly, it may simply be a faulty mouse as Gail has describe above....but I recently repaired a computer which used a USB optical mouse which also had problems... After running ALL of the spyware removal tools from the links below, it cleared up the problem. No guarantees, but if nothing else, you've cleaned out the machine a little. Download them all, install them, update them, then run them:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
This sounds like my best
by Denny1 / March 9, 2005 6:51 PM PST

bet but how do I install them when I can't even log onto my pc without the mouse. OH I forgot to mention that I have tried a different mouse and I had the same problem.

Collapse -
If more than one mouse
by glb613 / March 9, 2005 7:44 PM PST

fails to work, that is something to mention. Problem solving is a process of elimination. Since using a different mouse causes the same problem, it could be the USB port. Have you tried to using the mouse on another computer to make sure it works properly? Have you tried plugging something else into the USB port and see what happens? Have you tried using a non USB mouse?

Collapse -
Actually
by Denny1 / March 9, 2005 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: If more than one mouse

it isn't a usb mouse it is a standard ps2 connection, the mouse does work on my laptop. I apologize for any lack of info on my part but thank you all for helping!

Collapse -
Try a USB mouse
by glb613 / March 9, 2005 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Actually

and see if that works.

Collapse -
I have an optical mouse and keyboard too
by metmichallica / May 22, 2005 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually

and the only time the mouse stops working is when the batteries are dead. Maybe you need to change the battries and then hit Connect.

Collapse -
mouse stopped working
by Merlijn / March 11, 2005 4:22 AM PST

Have you tried to reinstall the mouse driver?
btw you can login to Windoze XP without a mouse, just press the down key on the welcome screen to go through the different users.
Once you're logged in and the PC has started Windoze with all of its startup progs, press the windows key to activate the menu, go to configuration and system. Press enter to start the system dialog. Now with the tab-key you can move the current object until the first tab is highlighted. Then with the right arrow you go to hardware. On the hardware tab, press the tab-key to go to the device manager button and press space on it.
When the device manager appears tab your way to the treeview where you use the down arrow key to go to mouse (mice and other pointing devices). Once you reach mouse press the right arrow to open it. press down again to go to the PS/2 compatible mouse and press enter on it.
This will open the dialog of the mouse config.
Again tab and arrow your way to the tab that says driver. When the driver tab is active use the tab key to go to the command button to update the driver and enter on it. A wizard will apear that tells you everything you have to do to update the mouse driver. Again use the keyboard to move around on the dialogs and select the actions to be carried out.
If this doesn't help you can try to first remove the mouse driver from the device manager and restart Windoze. It will normally detect the mouse and install the driver itself. (if everything else in Windoze is OK that is)

Good luck with it. Hope my comments help you out.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Denny1 / March 11, 2005 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: mouse stopped working

for telling me how to get into my system without the mouse I really appreciate it. I will try your suggestions tommorow. Again thank you very much merlijn!

Collapse -
Logitech
by very Big / May 21, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

I had a Logitech mouse that used to do that, stop working now and again if you go into standby for a few min's it sometimes cures it I've had it happen with a new XP format it just seems to be the mouse.
Try the Logitech laser it is great

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.