Windows Vista forum

General discussion

My mouse pointer disappears

by texasmoldmaker / April 19, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

I recently bought an HP dv6000 laptop from a big box store. 1 gig RAM, dual processor, nvidia graphics card. Vista home premium was preinstalled. I am using both the built in mousepad and a Logitech trackball. My problem occurs when I use a program that runs in full screen, such as a Windows slide show and a train simulator, the mouse pointer disappears. The mouse is still working, because when I run over a radio button it reacts. When I run IE, windows explorer, go to control panel, or run a program that isnt full screen everything works fine. Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem.

Thank you
BBrooks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My mouse pointer disappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My mouse pointer disappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not entirely unusual...
by John.Wilkinson / April 20, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

Many programs are designed to hide the cursor when entering full screen mode to give you a better multimedia experience. IE is a primary exception because they assume you'll still have use for the mouse, not be using it solely for multimedia content.

However, moving the mouse is usually supposed to display the cursor again, for a limited time. If that's not happening I would suspect a problem with the mouse driver and attempt to download the latest version from Logitech. Also, if you are using custom cursors, try disabling them and using the defaults temporarily.

One other thought is to disconnect the trackball and uninstall the Logitech software, reboot, and see if the same issue occurs while just using the mousepad. If so, it's likely a conflict between the two devices.

John

Collapse -
Problem is bigger than that -- this is a real bug
by kenmo2007 / April 27, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

It's either something in the HP laptop build or something in Vista, because I have the same irritating problem. It is not limited to full-screen applications, although the activation of HP Autoplay or Windows Media Center seems to force the issue.
My cursor most often disappears in dual monitor mode, where the monitor selected as the main monitor loses the cursor but the extension monitor supports the cursor without a problem. But in single monitor mode, the cursor will disappear as well.
This is really limiting use of our new HP and we are considering returning it unless this addressed.
I would be very curious to hear if this is limited to this series of HP laptops or if it is a general Vista bug.

Collapse -
vista pointer disappears
by DanJC / April 27, 2007 1:05 PM PDT

I have an HP6253cl with Win Vista home premium, with a second monitor attached for extended desktop. When returning from sleep-standby-hibernate, the pointer disappears on the laptop screen (primary)but appears on the secondary. Have to restart to get it back on both screens. A big irritation! I wonder if it is the nvdia driver. Any ideas appreciated. Thxs.

Collapse -
Found Fix - Mouse disappearing after hibernation or sleep
by texnhawk / January 20, 2010 4:36 AM PST

I have a HP Pavilion TX 2000 laptop, Nvidia internal card and 17" ViewSonic. My mouse disappears on the external screen when I come out of hibernation. Very frustrating until I found an easy fix on these posts. Go to Mouse Options in Control panel and enable Mouse Trails. You can set it as low as you want but it fixed my problem.

I also played with some of the other buttons but this one seemed to be the only one that worked consistently.

Collapse -
This one works in Vista!
by ianr905 / February 16, 2010 11:33 PM PST

Enable Pointer Trails in Control Panel. It works immediately.

Collapse -
Re: pointer trails
by caffeinebump / February 23, 2010 9:03 AM PST

It's a workaround, but I hate hate hate hate pointer trails, even if they are as short as possible. Would like a fix.

Collapse -
Pointer disappeared
by Ken Ecosse / April 16, 2010 5:29 PM PDT

Thanks mate,worked immediately

Collapse -
disappearing mouse
by wrogers166 / November 23, 2010 10:29 PM PST

been fighting this off an on for a couple of years, reboots, new drivers, etc. Thanks for the fix!

Collapse -
Agreed
by Nagyman / April 28, 2007 9:58 AM PDT

Just received a new Dell Dimension 9200C w/ ATI X1300 Pro, Vista Home Premium. Same problem; pointer disappears or flickers on any full screen apps (Windows Media Center, Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars). Searching for a fix....

Collapse -
Solution Found, Problem Fixed
by Nagyman / April 28, 2007 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed
Collapse -
Still no fix for disappearing pointer?
by kenmo2007 / April 28, 2007 2:33 PM PDT

Sorry, that did not solve my problem. I already had trails disabled before posting on this issue.

Any other fixes, explanations out there?

Collapse -
mousetrails: a workaround for missing pointer in vista / hp
by digitalsean / May 5, 2007 11:15 PM PDT

I am experiencing similar problems where the mouse pointer disappears on one display in a dual screen setup. Recent HP tx1000 pavilion running Windows Vista.

My workaround is to turn on mousetrails (can set to shortest - to minimise anoyances)

Collapse -
dual screen causes mouse pointer to dissappear.
by chrono770 / July 27, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

Thank you so much, i was having the same problem with my vista home laptop when i extended the screen. the mouse would randomly stop showing on one of the displays. turning on pointer trails has fixed it.
good job!
Kyle

Collapse -
Mouse trails worked
by coacheez / November 14, 2008 2:44 PM PST

Thanks, when I enable mouse trails, the mouse does reappear. Not optimal, but at least it keeps me from having to reboot every time.

Collapse -
Acceleration
by Merl Priester / May 6, 2007 10:02 AM PDT

Go to video properties for your video card and set the video acceleration down one notch and try it again.

Collapse -
Worth a shot...
by aro993s / June 1, 2007 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Acceleration

I have an HP dv6000 running Vista Home Premium, and my cursor was would also occasionally go AWOL. My fix: so to the Nvidia Control Panel and changed my display configuration from HDTV + Laptop to simply Laptop. My pointer seems to be around to stay... Hope that helps!

Collapse -
On how to correct disappearing mice, among other things.
by bobg3723 / August 15, 2008 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Worth a shot...

I was having the exact same mouse disappearing problems with my HP Pavillion tx1308nr laptop. I've narrowed it down to some hardware or driver getting flumoxed with a dual monitor setup, even if the other monitor wasn't designated as 'attached' (it was grey'ed out). It didn't matter which was 'attached' or which was primary. I was getting a whole host of other problems as well, such as getting Windows Media Center to display movies on my HDTV. Definately a bug with dual monitors enabled.

For things to behave smoothly, set the display adapter to a single monitor only. Either external or LCD, but not both. It's cured all my display related issues so far on my laptop.

Good luck,
BobG

Collapse -
Turning On mouse trails can fix it.
by jthrock / June 11, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

I found that turning on Mouse trails can fix this problem. I have a Compaq V3000 w/ 2gig ram and Vista Home Premium. I just upgraded the other day from XP Home.

I actually had the same problem w/ the pointer on my HP Entertainment PC running MCE '05 that I have hooked up to my plasma in the living room. Turning on cursor trails fixed the issue. However I just upgraded this as well to Vista Home Premium and I haven't had any issues.

It's a wierd and annoying issue, however it goes to show that I'm very happy Microsoft has still included ways to navigate through a modern GUI simply using arrow keys, enter, and the tab key!

Collapse -
Turning mouse trails on and off did not help me
by jman069 / June 13, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

turning on mouse trails did not fix it for me Sad

Collapse -
Same problem:
by civic33 / July 1, 2007 11:48 PM PDT

My mouse pointer disappears after returning from sleep mode when in dual monitor mode, although only on one of the two screens. Like several previous posters, I too have an HP laptop (DV9300) with an Nvidia graphics card. Would love to solve this problem as it requires a restart to temporarily fix.

Collapse -
mouse pointer disappears dual monitor
by DanJC / July 2, 2007 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem:

I've started calling my Vista laptop Jane - since it is really nice, can't live without it, but it is unpredictable and frustrating.
However, re the pointer, I have had success not losing it when returning from the sleep mode if I first turnoff the ext monitor before going to sleep. Like I said, just like Jane.

Collapse -
Mouse pointer Dissapears when computer wakes from sleep mode
by burch64 / July 16, 2007 9:56 AM PDT

I just bought a new gateway computer and hooked my
19inch LCd monitor to it and the mouse pointer also dissapears when I wake my computer up from the sleep mode.

I had the same monitor hooked to another Gateway laptop running XP and it worked fine.

I keep checking back here to see if anyone has found a "fix" for this problem.

I talked to Gateway support and they were no help, they suggested I contact my monitor company for a new driver, but I could not find any new drivers.

Anyone solved this??

Burch64

Collapse -
Mouse pointer dissapears
by JRGil / July 16, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavillion dv600 and in the mouse settings under Pointer Options, see if "Hide pointer while typing" is checked. That may be the problem.

Collapse -
Mouse Pointer Dissapears
by burch64 / July 16, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.

"Hide Mouse Pointer while typing"

It was not checked, I checked it, I'll see what happens

Burch64

Collapse -
DISAPPEARING MOUSE POINTER IN WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER SOLVED
by repete_smile / July 23, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

Thanks for your help! I have an HP Pavilion d4650y Core 2 system and I've been plagued with the disappearing mouse pointer for the past 18+ months. HP Tech told me I had to reinstall my Media Center which I did - twice! WRONG! Pointer still disappeared. I just went to my Mouse Properties, Pointer Options, and unchecked everything except the last box (Show location of pointer...) and I've now have my pointer in Media Center for the first time. Many many thanks!

Collapse -
Vista or Nvidia
by AlbertsFifth / September 6, 2007 11:38 AM PDT

Turning on mouse trail (shortest) fixed problem for me also. With my first monitor, the problem was worse and the HP dv9000 would completely freeze (black screen). It was a ViewSonic VA2012wb monitor. Viewsonic tech support said it was a known problem with the graphics card with no solution yet. Changing the monitor stopped the freezing, but the mouse disappeared on the 2nd monitor after sleep mode, but only sometimes. With trails on, the cursor appears to be back.

Collapse -
mouse pointer
by karlchen1 / August 19, 2007 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem:

i have a HP laptop 6000 which had the same problem rigth from the beginning,what i did was switching several times between mouse pointer trail on and off.now i am having pointer trail on , and it is not dissapeart again.hope it help you too
karl

Collapse -
try unchecking Hide pointer while typing
by LisaUMD / January 30, 2009 11:34 PM PST

I had the same problem with a Gatway laptop in Vista Home premium. Try unchecking the "Hide pointer while typing," it was an immediate fix for me.

Collapse -
Still happening, however less often.
by jthrock / July 17, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

Since I posted last, I have only had this problem one other time. I don't let my computer go to sleep, in fact I only use hibernate since it seems to take just as long to hibernate as it does for it to sleep.

A suggestion that I have for some other people:
First off, I just want to clarify that I upgraded from XP to Vista (Clean install wiped the HD and did a clean install). Since I went this route I didn't have any bloatware or useless utilities on my computer.
I have noticed that some newer HP laptops come with "Intel graphics media accelerator" or whatever. Basically it is a useless utility that manages dual monitors and such. I have found that it tends to mess things up and it does stupid things. I would suggest first stopping that program from running on startup using msconfig from the run/search menu. That might help some of you.

Lastly, I wanted to say that I don't keep my mouse pointer on pointer trails, I only turn it on if for some reason the pointer disappears and I don't want to restart my computer right away.

Collapse -
HP + Vista + Nvidea = problem?
by civic33 / July 18, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

I'm also using Vista Premium. Any experiences one way or the other with an HP laptop when using XP or with a non-Nvidea graphics card? If doing a clean Vista install does not solve the problem that eliminates HP-specific software as the cause.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.