Desktops forum

General discussion

my motherboard says theres no pcie slot but i see 1 clearly

by mechan1 / April 12, 2011 4:39 AM PDT

anyone got any ideas

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my motherboard says theres no pcie slot but i see 1 clearly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my motherboard says theres no pcie slot but i see 1 clearly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a well discussed area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

HP, Dell and others order systems. The spec will call out what it needs and if there is some extra port or such, they take it and don't offer it in the documentation or support it.

Who said this port works?
Bob

Collapse -
missing port
by mechan1 / April 12, 2011 7:12 AM PDT

So how to get support
?

Collapse -
Unlikely
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: missing port

I can't find the make and model so I can only comment about a common thing you find. If some maker documented this model to have 0 PCIE slots and you found one, then you should be able to figure out that it's use is not guaranteed or supported.

Then again you find folk that demand support for such. Go figure.
Bob

Collapse -
What motherboard ??? Provide mfg name,
by VAPCMD / April 12, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

series and model number for more help.

Collapse -
missing port?
by mechan1 / April 12, 2011 2:35 PM PDT

motherboard is asus number P5LP-LE, dual core 4300 from HP. vista o/s hp a6010n

Collapse -
HP writes
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: missing port?

"3 PCI slots (2 available), 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available)"

If there are extra and they work, count your self lucky!
Bob

Collapse -
I DONT KNOW,
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: HP writes

Some people need to be shaken,I SAID THREE AVAILABE PCI SLOTS And 1 PCIE x16,PCIE x16 is no driven.
BOB your commnts are not welcome you do not know ow to spaek o exes ideas ithother peple,so dont respond.Some people need a good smack!

Collapse -
Let's try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I DONT KNOW,

You write "my motherboard says theres no pcie slot but i see 1"

Later you reveal the model number so I go and get what HP writes about that model. You seem upset about that but I'll try again if you will.

Now that we know there should be a slot and it is supported can you explain what you mean by "my motherboard says theres no pcie slot"?

For example some folk will run software such as "What's in my PC.com" and it won't find stuff. That's not a good test software in my book so let's hear why you think the motherboard is reporting no such slot.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay Sir
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's try this.

I want to upgrade my video to HD, purchased a decent graphics card and followed the instruction to the letter. computer wont boot, removed card,checked bios no selectable pcie on list, only pci or onboard avalable

Graphics card is diamond hd5450

Ant help you can offer IS appreciated greatly
I also upgraded the power supply for the card

Collapse -
pcie slot
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 6:45 AM PDT

bios does not list pcie in graphics selections only onboard or pci

Collapse -
That's normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: pcie slot

Most BIOS's do that. Not much that I can add here. Maybe you wanted a BIOS to change which is the primary display but for most machines onboard is .. onboard and the other selection is the other card no matter if it's PCI, PCIe, AGP or another.

Hope this helps. And no, I see no signs that BIOS writers will ever get this right.
Bob

Collapse -
ya
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: That's normal.

okay

Collapse -
pcie slot
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 6:49 AM PDT

I never use ANY outside software on my stuff only Billy's stuff is good for me

Collapse -
Didn't help my MSFT stock investment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: pcie slot

Now that billy hasn't been there for years I can only guess you are talking about his new malaria treatments.
Bob

Collapse -
Billy
by mechan1 / April 13, 2011 11:46 AM PDT

No helpful information at all from you but IF I ever need a snide remark,I know who to call

Collapse -
Can you share more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Billy

When you find folk that claim Bill Gates supplies them with Windows or has any influence on the Windows products today you have to ask more questions.

Here's one. Who's running the show now?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Did you get your problem solved?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Billy

I wonder if you are willing to discuss issues or were expecting tech support?

These are discussion forums with no paid staff. I've tried to figure out the issue you were seeing but you seem to be upset at the slightest attempt at humor.

What's up with that?
Bob

Collapse -
thankx
by mechan1 / April 12, 2011 2:36 PM PDT

for ALL your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.