Peripherals

General discussion

My monitor goes blank at start-up.

by camaren / January 31, 2010 8:19 AM PST

I have a Samsung 19 inch led flat panel monitor. Model 940BW, Model Code: LS19HAWKBY/XAA, SN # HA19HTAP110095B. When I start up my PC, the monitor will flash what is on the screen and then go blank (black). If I shut the monitor off and turn it back on it'll flash again and go blank. I know it's the monitor with the problem because I hooked it up to another computer and it does the same thing. I've checked the connections on the cord and everything seems tight. I even reversed the cord (unplugged it from the monitor and plugged it into the PC). Can you tell me if this can be fixed or should I trash it? It's only a couple years old. I thought it would last longer than this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My monitor goes blank at start-up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My monitor goes blank at start-up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the FACTORY RESET option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 8:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Tried the Factory Reset Option
by camaren / January 31, 2010 8:49 AM PST

I tried this Factory Reset Option and it didn't work. Could I try anything else?

Collapse -
So that menu works?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:11 AM PST

How about Windows SAFE MODE?

Collapse -
Monitor goes blank at start up
by camaren / January 31, 2010 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: So that menu works?

No, Sorry. I can't even see the screen , it flashes so fast. I found the cd that came with the monitor, put it in, and when the screen flashes I can see the menu from the cd but it turns dark too fast do read it. When it does flash on it's pretty bright so I don't think the bulb (is there one?) is going out. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Now I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:28 AM PST

How did you accomplish the factory reset if the screen or menu just flashes?

If you can't do that. It's dead.

Collapse -
I tried.
by camaren / January 31, 2010 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Now I'm confused.

I looked up how to do the factory reset. It said to turn off monitor, unplug power, plug power back in while holding down the last button on the left, then push the power button to turn on and off three times, holding on the 3rd try til it comes on--hold for 10 seconds and release. I tried this with all the buttons when it didn't work the first time. Is this the correct way to do a factory reset? If it is, then you are right, it's dead and I'll throw it away but I was hoping someone could revive it!

Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: I tried.
Collapse -
Typical areas...
by Willy / February 1, 2010 1:15 AM PST

The best way to prove you have a bad monitor is swap it to another system and check results. If it remains blank then bad.

From your description of problem either the back-ight or LCD power(inverter)bad. If repairable, check online for parts and/or repair services provided its worth it to you. A quick check is to use a flashlight at an angle with the display/system attempting to boot and notice if screen appears in fade display. The inverter problem is a power module/unit that's failed. I exclude any other issue with LCD display, but those usually cover many display problems. Of course, if you have warranty, use it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.