Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My moms pc keeps rebooting over and over

by DJCSPAN / December 29, 2008 2:38 AM PST

Good Morning everyone, your assistance will be greatly appreciated with this matter.

My moms PC is a about 2 1/2 years old,
XP home
2.4mhz processor
485w ps
ECS motherboard
She does not use it for much but checking email or her online cards Games. Her PC just started a continuous booting cycle. I have tried everything possible, we lost all her data, and I have reformatted the c: drive several times. I have also tried removing the battery and clearing the CMOS and all that I have read in the forum in regards to the issue. I have reinstalled xp several times with no luck.
It continuous with the never ending booting cycle.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?
Can anyone assist please, I love my mom as we all do but she is very particular when it comes to her card games. LOL.

Please help in getting the never ending cycle to stop!!!!
I have no more hair left.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My moms pc keeps rebooting over and over
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My moms pc keeps rebooting over and over
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Thought..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 3:36 AM PST

It sounds like the problem may be heat related.. Please remove the cover from the tower and use compressed air to clean out the processor and heatsink, the power supply, all the vents, and all fans..

Please be sure to check the "Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Event Viewer" for possible clues to the problem..

I would then try swapping in a known good power supply.

And if that doesn't fix the issue, try removing the automatic reboot upon failure option.. A failure would then cause a blue screen or error message which might clue you into where the culprit lies. (RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then the "Advanced" tab, then the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" section. UNCHECK the box next to "Automatically restart" in the "System Failure" section, click on "OK, Apply, then OK.)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Hi Grif
by DJCSPAN / December 29, 2008 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Just A Thought..

The heat sink and fan are clean.
That was the very first thing I did.
The ps is also clean, and is working properly. Now it does not allow me to even install windows, the rebooting sequence keeps occurring.
I am not able to to complete anything, that is the reason why I have posted the problem.

Is there anything else I can do?
Remove drive and load xp on a different pc?
Reformat drive on a different pc?

Collapse -
Troubleshooting Hardware Problems..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Grif

Reformatting or reloading on a different pc won't help the issue.. The reinstall requires detection of the correct motherboard to work right.. Besides, once the hard drive is put back into this machine, the problem will simply reoccur.

I mentioned heat related issues earlier and some of those types of things can damage the motherboard.. We've seen a few issues on these forums, although uncommon, where the thermal grease between heatsink and processor had dried up.. Reapplication of thermal grease fixed the problem..

I recently fixed a similar problem by replacing the motherboard.. If constant rebooting is occurring and you're SURE that you've cleaned all the internal parts well, then hardware replacement is the next step. If you've got a new hard drive you can swap in, try replacing the old HD, put in the new one and see if you can then install Windows.

Or if that doesn't get it done, some start by replacing the cheapest part first. That's the power supply and a failing supply will cause the problems you're seeing.. If that's not the issue, then I then move to the motherboard as mentioned above..

There's no easy answer to this one.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
PC reboots
by Turkpointer / December 29, 2008 9:02 AM PST

1.Step: Control whether processor fan is turning. If fan blades are not turning within few seconds of pressing start button, replace fan (Sold with aluminum fins as a set, buy a copper based cooler fin for better cooling).
Try entering BIOS setup to check fan speed and proceessor temp and if there is a set degree to reboot. Press "Delete" or displayed button to enter BIOS during boot. Fan should not be below 2600 revolutions/min.
You did not mention any "Heat transfer compound" application between the processor and aluminum base. The aluminum fins should be unlocked and removed, the rotating fan should be removed from the aluminum. Wipe both sides of fan blades with a wet cloth (Caution ! Pull the cable from motherboard beforehand), wash aluminum finned cooler with sponge, dishwasher detergent and tap water, let dry or dry with hair dryer. Wipe any remnants of dried heat transfer compound on aluminum base and processor with cotton and alcohol. When dried, cut a plastic or carton to apply new " Heat transfer compound" on processor and aluminum base, spread the compound in perpendicular directions so the to fill bases micro surface holes.
Place processor paying attention to alignment(One corner is cut to show proper orientation).
Put aluminum fin with fans on the processor and lock the mechanism. Move fan slightly to control both surfaces are touching 100 %.
2. step: Some motherboards have an additional 4 pin socket to feed the processor, probably you connected the main 20 pin socket to the board and 4 pin socket is not plugged, insufficient voltage may be causing the reboot. Just plug the 4 pin socket.
3. step: There is smaller aluminum cooler near the processor (Called North Bridge), clean outer fins with alcohol. Youc can also renew heat dissipating compound, but not essential.
4. Step: Control the graphics card- the card your monitor cable is connected to- for. 1) Full contact 2) That graphic card fan is clean and turning 3) That Graphic card feeder cable is attached (if any)
5. Step: Control keyboard and mouse connection is PS2 (Round one, ge
enerally one green, other violet)and NOT USB connected keyboard or mouse.(The first booting of BIOS controls presence of PS2 (round socket) keyboard and mouse. USB keyboard or mouse enabling should be later done at BIOS setup.
6. Step: Control that there is no diskette in floppy and its ribbon cable and power cable is connected.
7. Step: Enter BIOS setup during booting by pressing DELETE or button displayed. Choose "Default values" and save the changes.
Restart the computer. If rebooting continues:
8. Step: Change the power connection of the hard disk to another harness coming from Power Supply Unit.
9. Step: Probably your power supply is partially damaged and can not supply sufficient current. Newer Power Supplies are all electronic (Called "Switching mode"). 400 W type is enough for your mom?s comp. Buy a new PSU. Should be a known brand with standards compliance labels.
10. Step: Buy a new hard disk; You probably damaged MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard disk during numerous XP loading which is not correctable as a single disk. Hard disks life is generally about 3 years. You can buy a 80 GB or 160 GB one with 7200 revs and 8 MB of cache which you should have done for your mom?s comfort anyway. Buy a new 80 wire HD cable with the new hard disk. You can make the old disk "Slave disk" and probably repair with "Testdisk". Install and reload XP to the new hard disk.
11. Step: Control the capasitors on the motherboard. They are small cylinders with two legs. If top of any capacitor is rounded (with inner pressure) or leaking, you can solder new capasitors - or buy a new 478 pin motherboard.
End of guide.

Collapse -
To TurkPointer
by jmoran / January 20, 2009 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: PC reboots

I think you know what your talking about! Do you have a blog or website?

Collapse -
Please Keep All Discussion Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2009 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: To TurkPointer

Not only is it against forum policies to refer others to other competing sites, but the suggestions provided by members helps others that have an interest in this topic..

Most importantly, if you're having problems similar to those of the original poster, have you tried the suggestions in this thread? How did they work?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
My moms pc keeps rebooting over and over
by jtob2 / December 30, 2008 1:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Ecs chipset
by dany_t / December 30, 2008 11:28 AM PST

Its your memory modules, make sure your memory chips are good,ECS mobo's are horrible in that department, i would suggest a motherboard upgrade.

Ps. could it had been chip creep? Memory cards tend to get lose sometimes.

Collapse -
power supply
by brandymarie77 / January 3, 2009 12:17 AM PST

Have your power supply tested, because that is one of the biggest signs of a failing power supply.

Collapse -
by ThisIsOli / January 5, 2009 6:30 AM PST

Switch your pc on with the case off, check the fans, it seems the most obvious problem. If this is not fixing the issue then I think, as mentioned above, a replacement power supply is the way to go!

Collapse -
by Whiskey1441 / January 9, 2009 12:54 PM PST

If the above mentioned suggestions haven't helped, try updating the BIOS. The following site explains How to Update Your Computer's BIOS at:

A few years ago my friend's computer was doing this, her friends were kidding her that her recently deceased husband was trying to contact her. Flashing/updating the BIOS did the trick in her case, hope it helps you too.

Collapse -
computer keeps rebooting
by elainem45 / January 9, 2009 8:15 PM PST
In reply to: Rebooting

Try removing the heat sink from the cpu clean it up and also clean up the cpu, get some artic silver and apply a thin coat to the cpu , reinstall the heat sink Hope this helps

Collapse -
my moms pc keeps rebooting over....
by burebista gelu / January 10, 2009 8:53 AM PST

hi ,easy install your xp windows or vista again,and instal a antivirus a good one not norton mc affe,panda,i mean kaspersky bitdefender,nod 32,or free home avast or avg den run en evrething comme tu bee ok,try this time a real xp proffesional pack 2 or 3,go in bios en do yes to nvram dan boot again de windows you need a program call spotmau to fix evrything to that pc,you need to instal a clening program such as mechanic7 or tune up,at least cc cleaner can you find on 1net,cnet goodlock

Collapse -
Continuous Reboot.
by Trucker47 / January 21, 2009 9:51 PM PST

If you are running Windows XP Media Center OS, with a AMD prosessor and you have installed SP3 their is a problem with the pc of continuous reboot. Microsoft has an upgrade utility to install before you download SP3.

Collapse -
Check your AntiVirus Software ?
by mustange_gt / February 14, 2009 9:02 AM PST

I have A Dell,Microsoft Windows XP.Media Center Addition.SP3.I installed AGI Anti Virus.I had to go into safe mode to uninstall it.Does your Mom Know what she got in her email last ?Maybe theirs a program that came with something she opened.See what was installed last.If you have your resource Cd,you can run a 32 or 64 Bit Diagnostic.Then run a dell diagnostic.Or Put it in Safe mode.Go to . Go to dell technical support.You will be texting in a small box to each other.Tell him what the compuer is doing.he will ask you if you will let him look at it.tell them yes.& you can watch what he is doing on your computer.To their knowlege.they should beable to fix it. Tell Your Mom Goodluck & Happy Valentines .

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.