Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

My main TV set at home is:

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 17, 2006 / 1:24 PM UTC

My main TV set at home is (please tell us the brand):

Direct view
DLP
HD-ILA
LCD
LCD projection
LCoS
Overhead projector
Plasma
Rear-projection
Other

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My main TV set at home is:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My main TV set at home is:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Samsung
by terraeide / January 17, 2006 / 8:47 PM UTC
Collapse -
Samsung DLP
by pinckneypirate / January 23, 2006 / 1:55 AM UTC
In reply to: (NT) Samsung

Samsung DLP...I love it!

Collapse -
My main TV set at home is
by blawg / January 17, 2006 / 8:50 PM UTC

Sony

Collapse -
Two InFocus DLP front projectors.
by cavu / January 17, 2006 / 8:51 PM UTC

Two InFocus DLP front projectors.

Collapse -
My only TV is:
by jbaviera / January 17, 2006 / 8:54 PM UTC

A Sharp, CRT type analog only (Thank GOD)

Collapse -
Sony
by Snipe / January 17, 2006 / 9:11 PM UTC

Sony Wega 32''

Collapse -
IT'S A SONY
by Riverledge / January 18, 2006 / 4:37 PM UTC
In reply to: Sony

WEGA 36", about 4 years old. It's holding up well.
Still love it.

Collapse -
Main Home TV
by Berardino / January 17, 2006 / 9:12 PM UTC

Sony - (CRT)

Collapse -
Main TV doesn't mean much
by oekosjoe / January 18, 2006 / 8:58 AM UTC
In reply to: Main Home TV

My "main TV" is a 27" Sony, but that means little since I use it, predominantly, as a second sound source to alert me if something interesting is on. Then I'll go into that room and watch. But my BIG TV is a Sanyo HD projector, which I use for movies and meetings with the second computer, and, only occasionally, for HDTV. And my fall back to both is two Sony computers with their GigaPocket software, able to act as a DVR and watch TV and receive radio. That much wiring means "main TV" is kind of not very main.

Collapse -
My main TV
by usickman / January 19, 2006 / 10:46 AM UTC
In reply to: Main Home TV

Its a 42" rear Projection.....got it since 2001, n still working good, altho' now looks a little too big...want a plasma now.

Collapse -
My only TV set is
by CrazyBare / January 17, 2006 / 9:15 PM UTC

Sanyo 36"

Collapse -
My main TV set at home is:
by msd1107 / January 17, 2006 / 9:15 PM UTC

Sony KD-34XBR960. Reviews say it has the best picture. Calibrated with SpyderTV. Everybody who sees it is impressed. All pixel based displays have visible defects, I enjoy going to CES and pointing out the problems.

Collapse -
Main TV Set
by wouldhe / January 17, 2006 / 9:15 PM UTC

52" LG brand with DLP.

Collapse -
Television
by chaslyn / January 17, 2006 / 9:19 PM UTC

My main TV at home is 27" Zenith. Old but shows me CNN news.

Collapse -
Too Many Technologies
by benoddo / January 17, 2006 / 9:28 PM UTC

Just take a quick look at the choices in this poll. 10 different techologies are represented here. Far too many for me to invest in any other than the old standby - direct view CRT. Yes it is bulky, heavy and power hungry. But it is reliable, and the technology is mature, which keeps prices low. I am waiting for this field of technologies to shrink down to two or three before I invest my hard earned money.

Does any one remember the Betamax - VHS wars over twenty years ago? I didn't get burned then investing in the new technology before a clear victor emerged. I'll wait again. In the meantime, I'll let the impulsive, materialistic gadget-heads with large credit lines fuel the fires of this new techology war and let them become the casualties. I don't need to "have it now", only to realize later that I may have invested heavily in a technology that does not survive.

Collapse -
Remembering the Betamax/VHS war
by bucca / January 18, 2006 / 1:37 PM UTC
In reply to: Too Many Technologies

So you waited out the result of the Betamax/VHS war? Congratulations on being without video technology for close to 10 years... probably the life span of 2 VCR's.
I wonder if you have a PC or a digital camera yet? Could be there is a tech improvement in the wind for those too.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WS-55905
by George B. Lockwood / January 17, 2006 / 9:33 PM UTC

Will purchase a new LCD or Plasma TV in 2008 when all stations and programs must be digital, and hopefully HD.

As for the cables, there are other brands selling the gold shield type at 30-40% less than Monster. I stick with the middle grade and have always been satisfied.

Collapse -
Consider a Sony SXRD
by Rtweed / January 18, 2006 / 5:42 PM UTC
In reply to: Mitsubishi WS-55905

At the risk of sounding like one of those guys who think their HDTV is the best, consider the SXRD when you buy. At least go look at them closely. Only drawback is that it can't be mounted... The picture is better though. I faught with this for a month before pulling the trigger. If you can, try to find someone like me who has it hooked up to satelite with an HD package. The good news for you is that maybe next year Sony will make it more appealing to look at. I have gotten use to the speakers on the side now.

Collapse -
+1 to SXRD
by WhiteshooZ / January 19, 2006 / 10:48 PM UTC
In reply to: Consider a Sony SXRD

I got one 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I fought with the idea for a good month.. trying to justify their high cost.

In the end, I decided to splurge and get the best TV on the market.

Collapse -
My main tv set at home is
by lozzie3 / January 17, 2006 / 9:37 PM UTC

My main tv set is a panasonic 106cm hd plasma
so far proving to be fantastic in picture and sound

Collapse -
Sony
by sda3 / January 17, 2006 / 9:42 PM UTC

My main TV is a Sony kp-ws520 Rear progection CRT, and boy does it have a beautiful picture.

Collapse -
LG DLP 157cm
by dr_no / January 17, 2006 / 9:47 PM UTC

Ooooh. Nice Colour! I still want to take a stick to the LG remote control designers and beat some user-usefulness into them...

Collapse -
Thumbs down to LG remote controls!
by meratcha / January 18, 2006 / 6:01 PM UTC
In reply to: LG DLP 157cm

I totally agree!!!

The 'designers' of these remotes should be made to use them in a dark room when they want to fast forward the intro of a TV series but not miss the start of the episode!!! After going back and forwards a few times because the buttons are so SMALL and CROWDED and NOT USER FRIENDLY, I think they may need to re-think their design!!

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WD725 DLP
by wdjtide / January 17, 2006 / 9:48 PM UTC

This TV has excellent picture and sound quality. I use a cable card to receive HD. Charter cable in my area is terrible. Their broadcast quality stinks. Charter does not broadcast the cable guide for the cable card. I also have an HD antenna that receives a perfect signal from the TV stations about 25 miles away. I use medium quality cables for my DVD and home theatre systems.

Collapse -
Rear Projection
by ksawatzk / January 17, 2006 / 9:58 PM UTC

Toshiba 51" HD CRT Monitor
Love it - HDMI, many hookup options, beautiful picture, great sound.

Collapse -
Hitachi 50" LCD Rear Projection HDTV
by Mr. Chan / January 17, 2006 / 10:14 PM UTC

I paid C$ 3,200.00 for this model in June, 2005 and now I want to have the Sony 60" SXRD and I was told I have to get rid off this one and bring C$ 7,000.00 for the Sony. Having a second thought, there is not much difference among them except the 60" screen is 10" bigger than the 50". As far as money is the subject, paying C$ 7,000.00 for another 10" bigger screen is simply not justificable. Therefore, I am happy with the Hitachi 50" LCD Rear Projection HDTV I have in the living room.
I remember my mom used to say to me that everyday there are new products coming out to the market and we just cannot chase them all the time. For example, we used to have three speed automatic in the 70. It is called Turbo Hydramatic by GM. Then we have the four speed automatic in the 80. Five speed automatic in the 90. Now Mercedes Benz is making seven speed automatic and I heard that BMW or VW are going to have eight speed automatic soon. Same thing happen to all consumers goods as this is simply a marketing gimmicks to suck our hard-earn money into theirs. Once we are over the age of 50, we simply do not care what is in and what is out, do we?

Collapse -
32" Vizio
by deirdrew / January 17, 2006 / 10:16 PM UTC

Very happy - excellent TV for under $900. We didn't want to spend a fortune when in a couple years we can REALLY get more bang for the buck when better resolutions, and more HDMI connectors and 1080P capable sets become affordable.

Collapse -
Sansui
by mwooge / January 17, 2006 / 10:19 PM UTC

I got this one because it was inexpensive, the right size, and black. Not that tacky silver color that seems to be the current fashion nowadays.

(Dang whippersnapper younguns nowadays. Hehe.)

Collapse -
type ot tv
by rnlw / January 17, 2006 / 10:28 PM UTC

RCA 48" rear projection

Collapse -
Sony KDFE50A10
by kboogie / January 17, 2006 / 11:03 PM UTC

yes!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon