The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

My main computer is a...?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 15, 2013 9:34 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My main computer is a...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My main computer is a...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have 5
by wpgwpg / March 15, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

The computer I use most is a Toshiba Satellite L755 with an I5 and 8 GB RAM.
My primary desktop is a Dell Inspiron 660 with 8 GB RAM and an I5 CPU
I have two home grown desktops for testing XP, Win 7, and Windows 8, one has an Intel E5200, the other an AMD Athlon II 3 core CPU.
I have a Dell Inspiron desktop for my wife with 4 GB RAM and a G630 CPU.

You ask a lot of questions Leo! Grin

Collapse -
LOL, it's for the CNET Community newsletter...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 15, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I have 5

Are you subscribed to it?

-Lee

Collapse -
I just subscribed
by wpgwpg / March 15, 2013 10:44 AM PDT

You guys do a very good job here, so I just subscribed. When I make a post I usually check out the recommended reading (even though I'm no fan of your parent company, especially the way they've messed up download.com).

Collapse -
My experiences...
by dj_erik / March 15, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

I'm in networking/system administration, so I'm sitting at a desktop at work 24/7 and desktop as the main computer at home. Higher executives seem to prefer laptops and tablets for portability. I honestly thought of getting a hybrid since Windows 8 came out, but with my need for testing out every OS, I ended up with another MacBook Pro. If it wasn't for my need to test out OSX remotely at locations, I would have probably gone that way for a portable. In all honesty, I think touch screens are going to be a revolution in the coming years. It just hasn't hit the point yet with hardware prices setting them as a premium product, when I can purchase a high end laptop in the same price range at a similar price point.

Collapse -
Main unit
by mjd420nova / March 15, 2013 12:09 PM PDT

I use a Lenovo i5 desktop and the wifes laptop is a Lenovo i5 too. A home server is a home built i7 with a four drive array for 2 TB space for all the users(6). A son users a Toshiba Quismio laptop and a daughter with a Dell desktop from 5 years ago (P4) and an older 8 years old Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop(P4M). The network admin resides in the server and has no internet access.

Collapse -
Main computer
by pauly1651 / March 15, 2013 12:41 PM PDT

Main computer is a desktop Q9550 Quad Core w/ W7 Pro 64 Bit, 8 GB RAM 1 SSD, 2 HDD's.
My wife has a E8400 Dual Core PC, Windows 7 64 Bit Home, 4 GB RAM.
We have a Core 2 Duo Dell Laptop w/ Windows 7 Home 64 Bit 4 GB RAM
One Son has an ACER laptop w/Windows 7 64 Bit, i7 Processor 8 GB RAM
Other Son has an i5 PC, 16GB Ram, 2 Video cards running SLI Windows 7 64 Bit
Nobody wants W8. Nobody wants a Tablet.
2 of us use Windows 8 smartphones by Nokia.
They are totally awesome!

Collapse -
When you want to get work done, the desktop is still king.
by sbill / March 15, 2013 12:52 PM PDT

When you just want to look at your Facebook, send emails, or post to an online chat forum, a toy--er, I mean tablet--computer will suffice. But when you want to do actual productive work, there's just no substitute for the desktop computer.

Collapse -
When you want to get work done, the desktop is still king.
by deltoncbaker / March 15, 2013 1:26 PM PDT

I agree with you 100% I use my Alienware i7 laptop like a Desktop, but I do know how you feel. Give me a 23" Monitor and wireless mouse and I am happy. I really find those tablets take me twice as long to navigate. I have to push and slide the picture around to find what I am looking for. Because the fonts are all ways too small to read, I have to stretch the page bigger than the tablet screen.

Collapse -
Your Voting Page
by 1garyallen / March 15, 2013 1:35 PM PDT
Once again, you voting page does not appear therefore I can not vote :-(( For the record, I have four (4) desktops.
Collapse -
4 desktops
by lsippell / March 15, 2013 3:02 PM PDT

My main computer is a i5, win7 Professional 64 bit with 8 GB ram and 4 HD's totaling 2.6tb with dual 23" monitors. Another is an i3, win 7 Home 64 bit with 4 GB ram and 4 2tb drives and 1 250 GB drive, used mainly for a home theater but also to play games on. It's connected to a 67" rear projection DLP TV.
In my work shop I have one running vista Ultimate 64 bit on an i3 with 2gb ram and 250gb and 320gb hd's with dual 19 " monitors, and another running xp Pro 32 bit on a Pentium with a 15" monitor used to run a home built CNC milling machine and a lathe I converted to CNC. All the computers are networked.

Collapse -
Cliche
by Flatworm / March 15, 2013 11:03 PM PDT

The reports of the death of the desktop are greatly exaggerated.

We've been hearing these reports nearly since the dawn of personal computing, and yet here we are, all of us still using desktops and liking them.

You get the best bang for the buck with a desktop by far. You get that nice big monitor that's easy on the eyes, and if you want a bigger one you can just go buy it remarkably inexpensively in a nearby store. When your keyboard goes south or you spill something into it, you just replace it. You can keep big speakers attached to it. Want an additional drive -- no problemo. It stays wired to your router for maximum speed and reliability of your connection. You never have to worry about your battery running down. Anything that breaks, you can fix it. You can even build your own -- something I highly recommend.

You just can't do these things with a laptop or an ultrabook or a tablet. Well, some of them you can, but then it's just an inferior substitute for a desktop. Sure I use a laptop sometimes, like when I need a computer on the road. But there's nothing like a desktop in a nice work or home office for actually getting stuff done fast and right.

The desktop will never die. It's the laptop that needs to be worried about its long-term survival prospects.

I primarily use a home-built desktop with a Core i7, 16 GB RAM, and six TB of disk storage (plus a lot of other stuff, like a Blu-Ray multi-writer and whatnot). My 29" monitor is tough to beat, and my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is absolutely top-notch (I like a nice "UI"). I have an HP DV6 laptop for the road, and both my desktop and laptop are running Win 8 Pro. I also have a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx which provides marginally adequate web browsing and email capabilities when I'm REALLY close-up, and I can carry that one in my shirt pocket.

Collapse -
A laptop set up as a desktop...
by Doh_1 / March 16, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

I used to use a nice quad core desktop as my main computer, and put an SSD, a hefty graphics adapter, and 8GB of memory, in it to make it perform really well. I needed a desktop replacement laptop for working away from home for a while, and got a nice i7-based, dual disk laptop, and put an SSD in it. Because it's newer, it's even faster than the desktop. My wife's desktop was an older one that performed well, but was using Windows XP and could not be upgraded to Windows 7. So I gave her my quad core desktop, and she's using that in place of the old Windows XP desktop, and is very happy with it.

I've taken the "desktop replacement" laptop and set it up as my new desktop, using a 24" monitor, and wireless mouse and keyboard. It works very well, very fast and nice to use. If I had my choice, I'd rather be using a new desktop, they are quieter, and my laptop just sits in one place anyways. I have an iPad for using around the house, and take that with me on trips. When my laptop dies or becomes unusable due to the increasing demands of newer software (it's great with Windows 8), I'll replace it with a quieter desktop again.

Collapse -
All in one
by KirbyCodeMonkey / May 8, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

I have an all in one computer that I pretty much love. I can easily transport this bad boy around, bringing my home office with me where ever I go...meaning when I go home for the holidays to play PC games.

Collapse -
My Main Computer is
by leeharbert / May 16, 2013 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: All in one

My main computer is a macobook prop and I absolutely love it. If I am doing programming however I like to revert to my HP as I don't like the functionality of parallels on the mac.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.