Cameras

General discussion

my Lumix DMC-ZS3 is stuck "Now Writing Please Wait ..."

by bort269 / March 10, 2010 10:28 AM PST

Anyone have any suggestions of what to do?

I took a photo and immediately the LCD said "Please Wait" with the little hourglass flipping over.
I waited a few seconds and it didn't go away (usually that is there for 3 seconds max).

I tried turning off the camera, changing modes, nothing!

It just sits there and says "Now Writing Please Wait..." with an hourglass and card-writing icon.

It's been 45 minutes (I called Panasonic support at 8:45pm ET but they close at 9pm and claimed that I called after-hours) and I don't know what to do!

The only thing that I know will stop it is if I take out the battery, but I don't want to lose everything on the SD card (or mess it up).

Anyone know a reset combo? I read the troubleshooting section of the manual, but there is no case for this.

I even tried plugging in the USB to my PC but it doesn't do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my Lumix DMC-ZS3 is stuck "Now Writing Please Wait ..."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my Lumix DMC-ZS3 is stuck "Now Writing Please Wait ..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not to worry

Pulling the battery won't make the images on the card go away. Think of it this way, if the power goes out in your house you don't lose all the information on your computer. What's written on the card will stay on the card.

Collapse -
thanks
by bort269 / March 10, 2010 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: not to worry

yeah... I guess I was worried about the last photo I took (that is says it is currently writing) since I don't want to lose it, but I guess it either wrote it or didn't by now.

Have anyone with this Lumix ever had this happen to them?
I just recharged the battery today, but that's never been a problem.

Should I return this one to Costco and get another one, I really like this camera... the video is great and a lot easier to share with family than my camcorder!

Thanks for the quick reply, kalel33!

Collapse -
Panasonic ZS3
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 10, 2010 11:32 PM PST

It sounds like the camera is unable to write something on the memory card.

You are going to have to stop the process.

You stated that you have seen the message before for three seconds sounds suspicious itself.
It sounds as if you may have a defective memory card.

Take the battery out and then remove the memory card.
Replace the battery and check the camera.

If you have a card reader on your computer, put the memory card in the card reader and use the computer to look at the files on the card.
Drag and drop any photos to your computer.

If you don't have a card reader on your computer, take the memory card to your local photo printing service, such as WalMart or Walgreen Pharmacy and have them copy the memory card contents to a CD.
It will cost about $3.00 per CD.

Once you get the photos off the memory card, put the card back in the camera and FORMAT the card with the camera.

If the card malfunctions again in the future, buy a new card.

Collapse -
This works!
by heatherhokie / May 26, 2010 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic ZS3

This works!!! My camera had the same message for 45 mins..the camera wouldn't turn off and the lens was extended. I was worried to take the batteries out, but when I did all the pictures were there, even the last picture I took. It seems as though nothing is malfunctioning on my camera now.

Thanks for the help! =)

Collapse -
Taking the battery out RISKS DATA LOSS
by markbult / October 5, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

I have had two different Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 cameras do this with THREE different Transcend SD cards, ruining all three cards and losing all my movies and photos.

I don't know which manufacturer is at fault, but this is NOT an isolated issue.

Collapse -
Just happened to me.
by kmkm--2008 / June 11, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

This just happened to me also. Have had the camera about four months. The spinning hourglass started after pushing the video button off. Something definitely haywire here. Had to remove the card and battery. Camera then appeared to start up okay.

Would like to know more???

Collapse -
The Same Thing happened
by Kenbarley / March 12, 2013 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Just happened to me.

It just sits there and says "Now Writing Please Wait..." with an hourglass and card-writing icon.
Yes but after 10 minutes, I had no alternative but to take the battery out as I had to take other photographs.
Contrary to what you have said, I lost the photo of that particular shot plus another 3-4 taken previous to that
shot. So next time I guess I have wait 45 minutes to be on the safe side.
But I cannot.
Is this an issue with the camera or the SD Card? Coincidentally, I had the problem with Transcend SD card too.
I

Collapse -
Another Possibility
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 5:31 AM PDT

It could also be that the battery is weak.
You may just need to charge the battery.

If keeping the camera operational is critical, having an extra card should be a requirement.
Also sound like a good time to invest in a different brand of card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.