Samsung forum

General discussion

My LN37A550 screen is going Black, but have sound

by stacivictoria / January 26, 2009 7:50 AM PST

Mr. Samsung,

I bought my LN37A550 6 weeks ago and all of a sudden the screen will go black but sound still clear as a bell. I have read other posts as well as well as other on-line sources and according to some sources who has this model says to unplug the TV for at least 4 hours so the computer chip will re-set completely. (my 4 hrs is not up yet) However, Mr. Samsung, I have noticed on this forum that quite a few people is having the same problem. So by now, Samsung should have good feedback from technicians what is the issue with the screen going black and sound perfect. Could you at least shed some light on this instead of just saying call in for a service technician? These are brand new TV's. I will put in a service call if the unplugging for 4 hrs do not work. But surely about now, Samsung knows what is going on with the blacking out with sound. I appreciate a response.

Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My LN37A550 screen is going Black, but have sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My LN37A550 screen is going Black, but have sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2009 2:03 PM PST

Well, I don't make it a general practice to say that all problems that have the same symptoms are experiencing the same issue. In this particular matter, I just don't have any light to shed.

I'm sure our technicians in the field have feedback, but at this point, they have not shared that information with me.

I know you didn't want to hear it, but my recommendation is to call and set up a service appointment. If your technician tells you what's going on, I welcome the feedback.

Collapse -
Black Screen - Dynamic vs Standard
by claykeller / February 1, 2009 11:39 AM PST

My LN37A550 was doing this with the display in Dynamic mode. When I switched to Standard I stopped having the issue.

Collapse -
Black Screen-Dynamic vs Standard
by stacivictoria / February 1, 2009 10:42 PM PST

That worked. When we switched to Standard it has been working perfectly ever since. Does this mean the Dynamic feature is useless?

Collapse -
Re: Black Screen-Dynamic vs Standard
by claykeller / February 2, 2009 11:52 AM PST

Sounds suspect to me, possibly a firmware bug or hardware issue? I noticed that it would do this exactly when a commercial break would begin several times. Other times it seemed random and I couldn't correlate it to anything. The whole thing with it starting at a commercial makes me think that it is a bug somewhere in the firmware, or some setting conflict that the TV firmware doesn't handle well? Maybe Samsung HD Tech has comments or suggestions at this point since our issues were positively related to Dynamic Mode somehow....

Collapse -
Re: Black Screen-Dynamic vs Standard
by stacivictoria / February 3, 2009 2:38 AM PST

Hopefully a response from HD tech can shed some light on this issue because it is pointless to have the "Dynamic" feature when you can not use it. Very disappointing as it took me several months to decide on this Samsung TV.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 5:35 AM PST

Well, it's not exactly "pointless", as you can adjust to the exact Dynamic settings in the custom mode. It's hard to explain why this would happen - there should not be this issue associated with the picture settings, and the fact that there is an issue means that your unit may require service.

Dyanmic Mode isn't even necessarily a preferred viewing option outside of well-lit ambient lightsituations.

But that said, I understand your frustration and your research in purchasing decisions should not be for naught. You can get your unit(s) serviced to address this issue, and I encourage you to do that.

Collapse -
Ln37a530 screen turns black with sound
by Innovations604 / February 14, 2009 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: Settings..

I'm having the same problem with the screen turning black with but I have sound. I bought this t.v second hand without warranty and I was wondering where can I can get the t.v serviced. I switched the mode to standard mode and testing it out now to see if it fixes the problem but if it doesnt work where can I get it serviced.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 15, 2009 10:45 AM PST

Have you tried turning the cable box off and on? Often times, the handshake issue between the source and the television can be off. Since you're receiving sound and not picture, that's usually an indication of the HDCP in the cable box not allowing picture (but allowing a signal) to be passed through the cable.

800-SAMSUNG can give you an authorized technician's information both covered or uncovered by warranty.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Had LCD TV serviced to fix this.
by claykeller / November 26, 2009 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Settings..

Just wanted to follow up with my resolution.

I had my LCD serviced. The repairman said he had seen this many times and I barely had explained what was going on when he said he knew what part was needed. I wasn't at home when the repair was done but the tv works in dynamic mode just fine now. Definitely needed a repair.

Collapse -
by DesireeD25 / December 4, 2009 7:52 AM PST

Do you mind sharing the cost of the repair? We have been meaning to do this, as changing standard/dynamic mode hasn't worked and now being football season, its horrible when a game is interrupted...but unsure of cost of repair/technician coming.

Collapse -
by bethievan / March 26, 2011 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Cost?

Did you ever have your t.v. repaired and will you share the cost? Or did the other person on the site every reply to you as to the cost to him for his repair? My dtr is now experiencing this prob. with her t.v. as well.

Thank you in advance

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.