Laptops

General discussion

My laptop won't turn on, even when plugged in?

by PMatth3ws / February 2, 2010 5:48 AM PST

I have a Toshiba EQUIUM A300D-13X 2.0GHZ 2GB & 200GB, running on multiboot Windows 7 & Windows Vista. I've had it about a year and a half.

I was using my laptop just a few hours ago browsing Facebook, when my laptop just completely shut off instantly, and then wouldn't turn back on... the laptop was plugged in at the time.

The laptop shows no lights or anything indicating the laptop it plugged in like usual, and nothing at all happens when I press the power button.

I have tried plugging the laptop out, taking the battery out and holding the power button for 1 minute and plugging back in with no luck.

Also I should add that for about 2 months now ever since I installed Windows 7 I have been getting the message "Consider replacing your battery" and the battery hasn't been holding much of a charge, maybe 25-30 mins. But I don't know if this is the problem because shouldn't the laptop work as normal when plugged in?

Sorry if I have left any info out,

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop won't turn on, even when plugged in?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop won't turn on, even when plugged in?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why an old battery is hard on a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2010 6:19 AM PST

The charging circuit is under more load as the failing/failed battery pulls more power. What I find is this story is only told after the owners lose a motherboard to a too old battery.

The laptop's power supply is in 2 places. The motherboard and the power brick.

The power brick is the cheap fix if it works. But its time to forget that battery.
Bob

Collapse -
power brick
by PMatth3ws / February 2, 2010 6:49 AM PST

Thanks for your reply,

so are you saying I should buy a new battery and charger? and this might work?

thanks

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2010 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: power brick

A good shop can try that for you. NO BATTERY IS REQUIRED HERE. Just a good wall power unit or "charger" or "brick" (you name the thing.)

Collapse -
Charger
by PMatth3ws / March 6, 2010 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: No.

a week or 2 after this happened to my laptop, I plugged it back in, and the lights came on indicating it was plugged in. So I turned it on and it looked as if it was going to turn on... but it didn't, the lights all came on, but the screen never came on, and there was no noise inside the laptop as it usually would when turned on.

Then after a few seconds I could smell like a burning plastic smell coming from the fan area, so I plugged it out straight away.

So I did as you said and bought a new charger, and still the same thing, all the lights come on when I press the power button but no screen or anything, and still the same burning smell...

any ideas?

thanks

Collapse -
Any burning and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Charger

I know that it's a bad day. 99% of the time it's the main board I'll replace next.
Bob

Collapse -
Repost for chieuhado (no spam please.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 9:22 PM PDT

"re: - New!
by chieuhado - 5/30/10 11:31 PM In reply to: My laptop won't turn on, even when plugged in? by PMatth3ws

How To Troubleshoot a Computer That Won't Turn On??
You can find reason at here :
1. Computer shows no sign of power at all. Try these steps if your computer will not turn on and is showing no sign at all of receiving power - no fans running and no lights on the computer case.

Important: You may or may not see a light on the back of your PC depending on the kind of power supply you have and the exact cause of the problem.
Note: Don't worry about the monitor yet. If the computer is not turning on because of a power issue then the monitor certainly can't display anything from the computer. Your monitor light will likely be amber/yellow if your computer has stopped sending information to it.
2.Computer turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. Follow these steps if, when you turn your computer on, it promptly powers back off.
You'll probably hear the fans inside your computer turn on, see the lights on the front of your computer turn on or flash, and then it will all stop - always before the boot process is complete. You may or may not also hear beeping coming from inside your PC.
Note: As in the previous scenario, don't worry about what state your monitor is in. You may have a monitor issue as well but it's not possible to troubleshoot it quite yet.
3.Computer turns on but nothing shows on screen. If your computer seems to be receiving power after turning it on but you don't see anything on your monitor, try these troubleshooting steps.
In these situations, the power lights will stay on, you'll likely hear the fans inside your PC running, and you may or may not hear one or more beeps coming from the computer.
This situation is probably the most common in my experience working with computers that won't start. Unfortunately it's also one of the most difficult to troubleshoot.
4. Computer turns on but stops booting during the POST. Use this guide when your computer powers on, shows at least some information on the monitor, but then stops for any reason during the Power On Self Test.
Use this troubleshooting guide primarily if you receive a BIOS error message during the POST but also if your PC locks up during the POST without an on-screen message.
Important: If you're having an issue during the loading of the operating system, which occurs after the Power On Self Test is complete, see Step 5.
5 Computer turns on but an error message prevents the operating system from loading completely. If your computer begins to load Windows but then stops booting and displays an error message, you're best bet is to troubleshoot the problem based on the specific error message.
If you don't find instructions on resolving the specific error you see, see the first tip below for information on requesting more assistance from the forum on this site.
read more :http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/ht/wontstart.html"

Collapse -
Laptop won't turn on.
by debnby71760 / June 3, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

I am having the same problem in that my laptop will not turn on either plugged in or via the battery. Someone told me that it could actually be that the power supply has gone bad and i have used up all my batter life.

Any suggestions? not sure if i should just go with a new power supply or just invest in a new computer. if the issue is not the power supply then i am just out the money for.

Its an HP laptop ..not sure the model. about 3 years old running XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.
Deb

Collapse -
Any decent shop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop won't turn on.

Will have a power brick to test that out. The GOOD SIGN would be the tech that whips out a VOLT METER to help determine if that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
My laptop was working fine and now wont turn on.
by carla9383 / July 11, 2011 7:44 AM PDT

dMy Dell Latitude D531, was working fine except tha it would get on the internet and it was saying that the WI-FI card was not working, all we did was power computer down removed battery, hard drive, ram, DVD plaer/burner, removed the screws on the back popped the case loose on the front side of the laptop, could not tell if it had a removeable WI-FI card or not. we then popped the case back closed, replaced screws and put the hard drive, ram, DVD player/burner and battery back in and now it won't even turn on. Any ideas would be helpful.

Collapse -
This early 2010 discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 9:24 AM PDT

Is not a good place to hide a new discussion.

-> Go to the top of the forum, the welcome sticky post and try the generic reset noted there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.