Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

My Laptop Won't Connect To My Wireless Internet!!!

by MILTOSH2 / October 24, 2010 6:20 AM PDT

Computer Make: Dell Inspiron 1520
Network Card: 802.11g
Router: Netgear CG2001D

My laptop can pick up other wireless networks but will not pick mine, it won't even show. The other laptops in my house can pick up the wireless and connect with no problem. If I use an ethernet cable I can connect no problem but I want to know why I can't find my wireless.

I ran command script and these were my results. Any significance?

Physical Address Transport Name
=================== ================================

GU-HO-FU-SY-HO-GO Media disconnected

HI-HO-GO-HO-HI-JO Media disconnected
(MAC Address FAKE!!!)

Also I accessed my router settings through the ethernet and found out I was not on the connected wireless devices. Again, is that of any significance? I managed to manually put in my MAC address but even after I press apply it shows only on the allowed access list and not on the connected wireless devices list where all the other laptops that are working fine are listed. Again is that of any significance. I tried phoning my network provider and all they say is the problem is my laptop when clearly their knowledge of the situation is too limited to generalise the problem and you can tell most times they are reading off a check-list; I'm also not willing to pay extravagant fees to any techs, I'm a broke student. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Laptop Won't Connect To My Wireless Internet!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Laptop Won't Connect To My Wireless Internet!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: no network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

That's really strange.

Your laptop can pickup other wireless routers, but not this one.
Other laptops can pickup other wireless routers and this one.

That's clearly something between this laptop and this router. Totally out of the reach of your network provider (his responsibility ends where the signal enters your house, or - if he provided the modem at the modem). Only when he also provided the router, he MAY be involved. But the router is working fine, or other laptops wouldn't find it. So I can imagine he can't help.

Just an experiment: does changing the channel (1 through 14) and the encryption (none, WEP, WPA) help?

Collapse -
by MILTOSH2 / October 24, 2010 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: no network

Whooooah!!! Just Like That... You Have Fixed My Problem. I did as you said, changed my channel from 13 to Auto and as if by magic my wireless just switched on...

Great Stuff
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

How did you figure that out..?

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: no network

"1-11 are all that are allowed in the USA, 12-13 are also used in EU"

It's possible they had the laptop set to USA but the router on the EU channels would have it out of this laptop's range.

Collapse -
by MILTOSH2 / October 24, 2010 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a great clue.

Never would have figured that out, and it makes sense because I realised that the routers were made in California and shipped over here to the UK. Thanks again, my faith in tech blogs strengthened yet a little more... : )

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.