Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Cameras

General discussion

My laptop will not recognize my Canon PowerShot A610.

by MidgetOnTheEdge / January 16, 2008 10:28 PM PST

Hello all,

I am absolutely desperate for help. I have let a techy friend connect remotely to my computer and everything and cannot figure out why my laptop will no longer recognize my digital camera.

I have a Canon PowerShot A610, Windows Vista, and a Dell Inspiron 1501.

The laptop makes a sound when I hook up my camera, but it will not show up in My Computer, nor does the USB icon appear in the start up tray. The Canon site says my camera should work fine. I've tried to download the driver from the Hardware option in the Control Panel, but it gave an error message and would not download. I tried to installed the CD that came with the the camera as well. Everything installed fine EXCEPT for the driver. I am again getting an error message.

PLEASE if anyone can help me or at least point me in the right direction, that'd be great. I may just have to succumb to getting an SD card reader, but I'm a college student who's just recently moved out and I'm kind of having to punch pennies. I'm also snowed into my apartment right now.

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop will not recognize my Canon PowerShot A610.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop will not recognize my Canon PowerShot A610.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Card Readers
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2008 11:06 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks!
by MidgetOnTheEdge / January 17, 2008 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Card Readers

Holy moly, that site is awesome! Thank you! =)

Collapse -
my canon camera cant be detected by my laptop
by amr_ali_medicine / October 1, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Card Readers

i have similar problem,my digital camera(sylphy cp740/750)as written on cd,not recognized by my toshiba satellite laptop,and i tried it on my brother;s dell,also not working,i thought about the usb cable or some thing iam afraid i did something wrong like connecting the camera while other thing operate or so

Collapse -
I don't understand
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 8:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
A610 not reconized.
by Papa Echo / January 16, 2008 11:16 PM PST

You mentioned "my laptop will no longer recognize my digital camera." Does this mean it worked before your friend accessed your computer remotely ? Some changes have been made in your computer. To revert them, try system restore. BTW - What are the error messages you mentioned ?

Collapse -
Error Message
by MidgetOnTheEdge / January 17, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: A610 not reconized.

My camera did work before. The reason why my friend connected to my computer was to figure out why my camera wasn't working.

And I don't remember the exact error messages. When my friend connected remotely and tried to download the driver through the hardware window in the COntrol Panel, it gave him Error Message 10, I think? Any other way I tried to download it, it just said it downloaded unsuccessfully.

Collapse -
(NT) Try system restore.
by Papa Echo / January 17, 2008 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Error Message
Collapse -
Laptop Won't Recognize Canon PowerShot
by lurking turkey / October 29, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

With the camera on and connected by cable, try putting the camera in playback mode (switch on upper right corner).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.