Computer Help forum

General discussion

My laptop is no longer recognizing my CD Drive

by hellwig / May 28, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

As of this morning, my Toshiba Satellite A-305 is no longer recognizing my CD Drive. It was working fine yesterday. I bought my computer in June, 2008. What to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop is no longer recognizing my CD Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop is no longer recognizing my CD Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use google to look up upper and lower filters ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 28, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

and try the cure.

if that doesn't solve the problem try BOOTING from the CD Drive with a bootable CD - if that doesn't work you will need to locate a replacement drive. They do not last forever and some die in a few short months - yours has lived for two years.

Collapse -
CD drive
by Phil Crase / May 28, 2010 11:07 PM PDT

Does the HDWE appear in Control Panel? In Device Manager?

Collapse -
by hellwig / May 29, 2010 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: CD drive

I'm not sure what HDWE means, but the CD Drive does not show up in either My Computer, or Explorer. It does, however, appear in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation point beside it.

Collapse -
That's what can happen with Code 39
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

Among a few other codes.

Collapse -
And CODE 39 in device manager?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 11:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
by hellwig / May 29, 2010 8:44 AM PDT

I think it's Code 10. That's what showed up when I double clicked the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

Collapse -
CODE 10
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

Often is cured with the fixit by Microsoft.

I wonder if you tried since you didn't tell.
Bob

Collapse -
by hellwig / May 30, 2010 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: CODE 10

U tried it a couple of times, but it didn't work. I think my CD drive must be corrupted, so I think I am going to have to resign myself to buying another CD drive, either internal or external. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
CODE 10 and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 9:29 PM PDT

Usually that fixit by MSFT helps. But sometimes it takes 20 posts for some to get that done so we move from the easy fixes to the hard ones.

To TEST IF THIS DRIVE IS GOOD I boot from any bootable CD. I don't care what bootable CD it is, as the test is simple Does any bootable CD boot up?

If yes, this is a Windows or driver issue.
If no, then the drive is dead or the owner can't do the test.
Bob

Collapse -
My laptop coputer won't recognize my CD drive
by hellwig / May 31, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: CODE 10 and

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a bootable CD? Is it the CD that you use to boot up your computer when it won't boot by itself?

Collapse -
To save going aorund and around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
CD Drive
by cjmi / May 29, 2010 12:02 PM PDT

I had the same problem with my 3+ year-old Dell laptop. I went to Microsoft web site and to the "Fix-It" page. I clicked on "Fix-It" and it took care of the problem. Hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by donloftus / September 16, 2013 11:17 AM PDT

Had the same problem. For many months my computer (Compaq/HP laptop CQ62) wouldn't recognize my DVD drive when I inserted and DVD. Computer expert wanted to sell me a new dvd drive (over phone in response to my description of my problem). However, ran across a suggestion on the Internet that this problem may be caused by a dirty laser. Applied the small suction extension from my vacuum cleaner to the laser (the concave little dot like structure that you see when you open you laptop DVD). It's worked fine ever since!! On multiple DVD movies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.