Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My laptop hard drive has a slow leak....of sorts!!

by getblack / December 12, 2006 5:07 AM PST

I have an Acer 1550 laptop with a Windows XP operating system. From the time I boot up the system, the memory of the hard drive just starts to go down. It's slow when I'm not doing anything with the laptop but if I'm on the net or recording music or anything else, it will start to lose memory fast.

The longest time has been 3 hours before the system tells me that I have "Low Disk Space". I turn off my computer, wait about 10 or 15 minutes and when the computer is up again I start from the 25GB of HD memory I had on my computer.

Can someone tell me what in the world is going on?? I've run virus scans and everything else and I can't pinpoint it! Please someone help me!!

D.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop hard drive has a slow leak....of sorts!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop hard drive has a slow leak....of sorts!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Description of the Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 12, 2006 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
That didn't work!!
by getblack / December 12, 2006 9:53 AM PST

The message is coming up because the disk space is running out!! I want to know how to stop it memory from slowly dwindling away everytime I use the computer.

Collapse -
You are in the Viruses & security alerts Forum
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 12, 2006 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: That didn't work!!

Virus scan came up clean? Which virus scan did you run?

download AVG Anti-Spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.

After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version.

Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware and update the definition files.
On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.

Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".

Under "Reports"
Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
Un-Select "Only if threats were found".

Close AVG Anti-spyware, do NOT run a scan just yet, we will shortly.

Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.

IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-spyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
Lauch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
AVG Anti-Spyware will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.

Once the scan is complete do the following:
If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions".

Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Did you run Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup ?

Collapse -
That didn't work either...
by getblack / December 13, 2006 10:37 PM PST

I scan it with the AVG software per instructions. I also scan it with the Housecall software. It found some low risk viruses but my hard drive after a few minutes is still slowly losing disk space like a slow leak! I have a bad feeling that I'm going to clear and reinstall Windows XP unless anyone else have any suggestions?

Collapse -
Low disk space
by tomron / December 13, 2006 11:16 PM PST

It might be a page file issue.

Start>control panel>system>advanced>performance,click settings>advanced tab>virtual memory>change

heres a LINK.scroll down to Have the initial size be at least 1.5 times bigger than the amount of physical RAM. Do NOT make the Pagefile smaller than the amount of physical RAM you've got installed on your system.

Do you delete temp files.

Tom

Collapse -
Responding to Low disk space
by getblack / December 14, 2006 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Low disk space

I'll try that. So you're saying that the computer could be using my hard drive memory like RAM memory. That could be the reason for hard drive memory slow decreasing very time I'm on the internet? If that's the case.......WOW!!

Collapse -
It might be whats called virtual memory,,,
by tomron / December 14, 2006 5:22 AM PST

When there is a virtual memory issue its been my experience and also what i read regarding other individuals experiencing a virtual memory issus is that a window pops up saying your system is low on virtual memory.

Since this might not be a security issue,you could try the XP FORUM

Tom

Collapse -
Low Disk Space
by tomron / December 12, 2006 10:12 AM PST

Click HERE,this link may help

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) Never mind,I see that Marianna already provided it
by tomron / December 12, 2006 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Low Disk Space
Collapse -
Been There Done That ( for years )
by Art Cotton / December 17, 2006 9:50 PM PST

Have three units in home networked to high speed connection . Here is my fix for the same problem as you describe. Do not give ANY Auto Update Permissions for anyone . NOT FOR ANYONE ! You must remain in control of your unit ! Check out each one and turn off the permission to update. I have and use for six years a program from Webroot called Window Washer and I wash my stuff after EVERY online session to get rid of CALL HOME critters. I am talking doing a wash 10 to 20 times a day or whenever I SENSE my computer slowing down. I also use software called SYSTEM MECHANIC 5 ( or 6 ) which monitors your RAM and bumps it up whenever it gets to a certain low setting ( which YOU set ) It also has a MANUAL recover RAM and a MANUAL defrag RAM which I use whenever I SENSE a slowdown of my computer. This problem will not go away until you turn off your computer forever. Learn to deal with it and enjoy . art

Collapse -
Delete Uneeded Files and Make System Changes
by Barbara866 / December 17, 2006 9:51 PM PST

Try deleting the following files, as they are not needed.

*.tmp (temporary files)

*.dmp (diagnostic memory dumps that can become very large in the MB's)You can go to my computer, properties, advanced, write debugging information and deselect that option to get rid of DMP files.

*.txt files that are log files (not needed after the sucessful installation of upgrades or software or from certain security programs.)

Items in any temp directory.

leftover files in dirctories from uninstalled programs.

Installation files from already installed downloaded programs.

Old cookies in the cookies directory.

run chkdsk to get rid of lost clusters, delete generated files from root directory.

Set page file to the the same minimum and maximum sizes, make sure it is large enough. defrag page file.

Collapse -
It's Not Leaking - It's Filling Up
by langr / December 18, 2006 3:31 AM PST

Your message indicates that something is filling up all the space on your hard drive ("Low Disk Space" vice an actual "memory leak"). If this is the case, here are a couple of suggestions to look at:

1. As indicated in some of the other replies here, do take a look at your pagefile.sys settings. If the upper limit is set at some gargantuan number (I'd recommend no more than 1 or 2 GB max), it MIGHT be a contributor. Also take a look at Microsoft's KB Article 314834 regarding clearing the pagefile at shutdown (only if you're comfortable editing the registry).

2. More likely, something is writing a huge log file that's filling up your free hard drive space, but it's not getting saved at shutdown (which would explain why restarting your computer frees up the space again). Try finding out what's filling up all this space by running Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL). Click on the "Processes" tab, then click on the "View" menu item and select "Select Columns". Now click to check "I/O Write Bytes" (third from bottom in right column). Click "OK" Task Manager should now have a column showing figures for I/O Write Bytes (you may need to scroll or resize the window). Click on the top of this column, twice, and the running processes should now be displayed with the process responsible for the most disk writes at the top of the list. This should be your prime suspect (listed under "Image Name" in the left column). Perform a web search on this process to see if you can figure out what and why it's doing all these runaway disk writes.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Collapse -
You've hit it right on!
by getblack / December 20, 2006 9:27 AM PST

I looked through my processes and it's the system process that is running like crazy. If I added the memory of the I/O write that you told me about and the actual hard drive memory...it would add up to be the total space I have left on the drive.

I've found it, now what??

Collapse -
System Process Filling up Disk
by langr / December 23, 2006 4:13 AM PST

Well, here's where it gets interesting Wink (difficult, frustrating, problematic, time-consuming - choose any two). And this may not be the appropriate forum for in-depth troubleshooting (see below).

Let's work under the assumption something has hijacked the system process in order to get at your hard drive (and fill it up). Time to go exploring and work at a process of elimination:

1. run msconfig: hold down the Windows key + R to display the "Run" dialog box. Enter "msconfig" and press "OK." First, click on the "Start-up" tab and closely examine each item. Look for item(s) that you know don't belong there or you don't know what they do. For each of these items, uncheck them one at a time and restart. Repeat until the problem goes away. If this process doesn?t reveal the culprit, click on the ?Services? tab and go through the same routine for services that look suspect. Admittedly, this can take some time.

2. If you?re not successful with step 1 ? believe it or not, msconfig doesn?t necessarily show you everything that?s set to startup (especially if something is trying to hide itself). You may also want to try downloading ?Startuplist?, as well as referring to the FAQs and tutorials you can find at this site:

http://www.merijn.org/index.php

3. Hijackthis is a program that may help you figure out what?s going on. The folks who support this program (and can help analyze files) are a lot more knowledgeable and can go into a lot more depth than I can. I recommend you read through the info, FAQs, tutorials on these sites before delving further:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Hope this gets you going in the right direction. Let us know how things work out.

and OBTW: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Collapse -
slow pc
by jdog23 / December 18, 2006 6:22 AM PST

Where to begin? Anti-virus run for sure. Defrag. System repair. Software program called "regseeker". Cleans up addresses that don't go anywhere. They take up a ton of space. "Hijack this" log. Many forums will analyze or if you are comfortable use, http://hijackthis.de/index.php for automatic analyze based on experience and user input. Get the Hijack this program, run it, and paste the findings in the box provided on the other program. Works great. Also, CCleaner. Readily available as all of these are. Caution is the word of the day whenever you are poking around in the registry. Back first in all cases. It sounds as though your PC is clogged with to much C..p! Time to house clean. I run this stuff all the time. It's the only way to keep dial-up connections fairly slow instead of really slow. Best of luck.
jdog23

Collapse -
Leaking Hard Drive!?
by minahan1 / December 20, 2006 2:46 AM PST

Did you get the help needed to control the problem?
The computer is allowed to do only what it is told to do. With that said you want to make sure that you check what you told the computer to do.( Settings )Internet Explorer under tools go to internet options/temporary internet files/settings/temporary internet files folder - this should be set at 250MB or less. If this is set to the max of your HD you will have that effect. Also the virtual memory used is the same effect. What happens is that some software attached to web sites and downloaded programs is running in the background and taking up space. This sounds like a worm virus that is internet based.
Don't know if this will help. Give it a look.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Filling Up
by patterjp / December 30, 2006 7:54 AM PST

I had this happen to a friend's laptop. Turned out that someone accessed his computer via Icq and left a hidden program that generated a hidden partition that got larger each time he booted his computer. I discovered it using Partition Magic. I made mistake of deleting this partition, as when I did, all data disappeared and I had to use a Data Recovery Program to recover, then reinstalled his OS. This might be what has happened to your computer. Hope it isn't as it will result in your re-installing your OS, but knowing that, you can back everything up before wiping the hard drive.
ArcticBirdman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.