Computer Help forum

Question

My laptop freezes after only a few seconds. What do I do?

by EmmayRose / March 21, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

Hi,
I don't have all my system info just now as I am having to use a library computer and didn't bring my laptop, but it is an HP with Windows 7. I purchased it in August of 2010. I use Norton ... security suite, or something along those lines.

And first off, this may not be related to the problem at hand, but I've had an ongoing issue with my computer trying to do an update when I shut it down every now and then, and it will be stuck on "Update 1 of 1" for such a long period with no sign of progress that I usually have to force close as I don't have time to wait and see that it completes, and because I don't want it stuck on the screen while I'm away for hours as it has done before.

But that whole issue has only ever been a minor annoyance, so I don't know if it is related to what happened today. The reason I bring it up is because that is circumstance under which I had to shut my computer down last night before going to bed.

When I woke up this morning, I turn on my laptop, logged in, and left to shower. I came back about 20 minutes later and found that it was off. I turned it on again and got the message that the computer had overheated. This is the first time that has ever happened.

So I continued to the log on screen and went about it all like normal, but when my desktop came up and I sat waiting for it to finish doing all its start-up loading, I went to move the mouse after about 15-20 seconds and found it frozen. Everything was frozen; I couldn't even ctrl-alt-del. So I had to force close.

This exact situation has happened every time I've tried to use my computer today, minus the over-heating message. It even happens in Safe Mode, so basically I have zero use of my laptop right now.

I have no idea where to begin trying to fix it since I can't access my files or anything on the computer with it freezing like this.

What am I supposed to do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop freezes after only a few seconds. What do I do?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop freezes after only a few seconds. What do I do?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The overheating message is a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 7:12 AM PDT

Let's go with that.

Did you try using CANNED AIR on the vents? Here this is a 6 month ritual.
Bob

Collapse -
No canned air handy.
by EmmayRose / March 23, 2012 7:19 AM PDT

I unscrewed a few panels and blew. Didn't appear too dusty.

I then took the laptop to some tech people in the library who work with this kind of thing (didn't even know they were there until my roommate mentioned it) but unfortunately the guy who was going to look at it won't be in till Tuesday. Someone found that I still had a version of Macafee installed conflicting with my Norton, and my Norton was outdated. They uninstalled the Macafee but didn't do anything with Norton. And my computer seems to be running ok in safe mode. Or at least for longer.

But anyway, I really don't think I can wait till Tuesday just to get a diagnoses (they can't actually do any work on hardware; they can only find the problem and give advise).

Back to square one.

Collapse -
If you can't wait and ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2012 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: No canned air handy.

think the problem might be software related as you don't seem to think blowing it out helped as much as removing McAfee then you might consider saving all your data off the computer that you haven't backed up then making use of HP's recovery options to restore the laptop to factory specs.

If it still will not stay running long enough to back up your files see if using a bootable Ubuntu CD works (using a live CD also helps determine whether the problem is hardware or software as if you have hardware problems the CD probably will not boot into a usable OS).
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.