Laptops forum

General discussion

my laptop fan is running a lot

by frankzxcv / May 29, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

hi all,

i have a 5 yr old HP dv1432us laptop, works great but lately the fan seems to be running a lot.

i turned it over and put a house vacuum on the fan intake and a few little dust bunnies came out. the fan is not running constantly like it was but it is still cycling on and off pretty regularly.

i unscrewed the 3 screws on the "plate" around the fan intake but the plate would not come off.

anyway maybe it's just normal (the CPU is running at about 50%) but after 5 years seems like maybe the CPU heatsink should be cleaned? on the other hand, i don;t want to wreck it. any advice? --fj

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my laptop fan is running a lot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my laptop fan is running a lot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i found the manual
by frankzxcv / May 29, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

and it's major surgery to get at the fan and heatsink. doable but major dissassembly. question is, what is normal fan cycling on and off? can i leave it and live with the noise, or will i kill the fan if i don't clean the heatsink? and can i assume the laptop will shut itself off before it overheats? --fj

Collapse -
Don't assume that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: i found the manual

And I have put up a link in the Cnet Troubleshooting forum about this at (currently) posts 6 and 7 at;forum-threads

1. Ignore it and many laptops fail.
2. Even the canned air can do wonders.
3. This is a YEARLY task (with the canned air.)
4. If you didn't do the YEARLY then you get to do the deep cleaning.
5. No maker tells you about the YEARLY task or "maintenence." Why should they. If PH told you to clean yearly, and IB didn't some consumers would buy more IB since they don't want to take care of the machine thinking it is implied that there is no YEARLY maintenance task.

Collapse -
well i have not done the yearly
by frankzxcv / May 30, 2010 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't assume that.

so, by "deep cleaning," do you mean the dissassembly? if so, any tips on this? i assume a wrist strap is mandatory? any other words of wisdom? yikes, i can't afford to fry this computer Happy

i spritzed the air in the exit vent and vacuumed the fan area again. at least the fan doesn't run a long time without stopping now. it's on for 45 secondss, off for 45 seconds.

is there any way to do this without a major disassemby tho? seems like i have to take it almost completely apart to get at the cooling fan.

thanks very much the technical and emotional support.

best, fj

Collapse -
Look at the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 8:30 PM PDT

If the simple cleaning helped then that's a sign it was heat related. While I may know about this yearly item what I can't figure out is why this little thing isn't in the owners manual. I can only guess it's something at 1 year out, out of warranty so why should it be there?

The link provided has more detail. I don't duplicate it in every reply so to answer the mandatory question is to ask more questions. The fan running is not a sure sign it will fail. And you did clean the vent so at least we are not looking at a meltdown any longer.

Try this. Do what you are comfortable with and have work beyond that done by others.

Collapse -
just more info
by frankzxcv / May 31, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at the link.

i downloaded everest and it seems the CPU is lurking between 52 and 58 degrees C.

HP is having a free forum with its engineers tomorrow so i'll see what they say. bottom line is the thing may run for a while if i leave it alone, and may die tomorrow if i take it apart. I think best course is to wait for a while . . . thanks so much for your feedback. will post more if anything heard from HP. -- fj

Collapse -
You have a
by samkh / May 31, 2010 12:26 AM PDT

90nm Dothan (google it, if dunno but curious) and no matter how much you clean and maintain, it still needs a lot of cooling. Gets worse as time wears on. BTDT. Same for AMD.

Best recommendation I can give, and you won't like it due to $ reason until you've exhausted your alternatives, is to trade it for a 32nm i3 or i5 model. Or at least a 45nm if budget is very tight.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.