iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

My Ipad3 will no longer play videos it played before. ?????

by dfbergeron13 / December 20, 2012 9:29 PM PST

All of a sudden, my Ipad3 will no longer play videos I have saved on it. The majority of them were sent to me via Iphones. They played fine.....now suddenly I get an error message telling me I need Flash Player. Does anyone know how I can restore the feature I used to have?? Thank you very much!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Ipad3 will no longer play videos it played before. ?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Ipad3 will no longer play videos it played before. ?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What program were you using to view those videos?
by Pepe7 / December 20, 2012 11:15 PM PST

Was it the built in quicktime app on the iPad?

Collapse -
Ipad3 3 video problem
by dfbergeron13 / December 21, 2012 1:23 AM PST

I really do not know. Bought a brand new Ipod3 a few months ago. Up until a few days ago we were able to watch videos on Facebook. Now, we can't and get an error message saying we need Flashplayer. Nothing has changed on this Ipad3, no updates, no new apps added, etc. All of sudden we are no longer able to watch videos on Facebook. Thanks

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 12:13 AM PST

....make any recent system updates on the iPad. By it's very nature, the iPad does not use the Adobe Flash application because of the ongoing fight between Apple and Adobe. This is one reason that I prefer the Android platform. I wish I had a simple solution for you.

Collapse -
I have a dozen Android tablets (the office)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Did you....

And Flash is hit and miss there. Some we can get it working, a few not. Maybe if we rooted and more but as you can guess our office is working on apps so we have to keep them stock.
Bob

Collapse -
Ipad3 video problem
by dfbergeron13 / December 21, 2012 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Did you....

No recent updates. No new apps added. Bought this new a couple months ago and was able to watch videos just fine on Facebook App. A couple days ago we were not able to watch videos any more and get a message saying we need Flashplayer. Just can not understand why it was working and no longer is. Thanks

Collapse -
The change has to be at Facebook
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ipad3 video problem

or maybe a setting you tweaked without realizing it.

The iPad, and iPhone for that matter, have never used Flash Player and those video's that you previously played on Facebook were most likely streamed in HTML5.
That may be the setting, in Facebook, that was changed.

Go to YouTube and see if you can see their videos

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Ipad3 video problem
by dfbergeron13 / December 21, 2012 7:48 AM PST

Yes, I can watch youtube videos. It seems to be the ones on Facebook. ???

Collapse -
Ok, so the iPad is still functioning correctly,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Ipad3 video problem

now check your Facebook settings to see what could have changed regarding video's

P

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
flash support on iPad 3
by lazling / December 25, 2012 5:23 PM PST

Just facing the same problem as you met, have you worked it out? A bit frustrated yet.

Collapse -
(NT) There is no Flash support on any Apple iDevice
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 7:26 AM PST
Collapse -
flash support for iPad
by dfbergeron13 / January 2, 2013 9:14 AM PST

I downloaded the Facebook App again. I can view videos in the newer FB app but it is no good for reading FB because everything is too big. So, I go back and forth between the old and new apps depending on what I want to look at.

Collapse -
Any Settings that can be changed on that App?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: flash support for iPad

Pinch not work?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.