Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

My internet connection keeps going up and down

by Ms.Gadgettes / August 24, 2007 4:11 AM PDT

I've been having trouble for the past several weeks where my internet connection keeps going up and down. I will be working and all of a sudden can't get to the next website. It is becomming to be a bit of an annoyance for me.

Everytime I call Roadrunner they say there isn't a problem. Unlike in the past when I have the problem where my internet connection is lost, I just reset the network and it will be fine. But this happens several times an hour and will fix itself without me having to reset the network.

Does this sound like a problem with my router or more like a problem with Roadrunner?

I'm using a Linksys router, I can get the model number if needed. And my internet provider is Roadrunner.

I've been using Roadrunner for years, while they have their problems I do like their service, but if this is the type problems I'm going to be having a may have to switch.

If anyone has suggestions or ideas that would be great.... I think I will try connect directly to the cable modem when I can to see if it holds the connection better. For about an hour or so now I haven't had any problems, but all morning it will go up and down several times an hour.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My internet connection keeps going up and down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My internet connection keeps going up and down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try
by PudgyOne / August 24, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

updating the firmware in the Linksys router

Broadcast SSID
Use WPA Personal Security

Don't use anything else.

Collapse -
No, I have not tried that
by Ms.Gadgettes / August 24, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try

I've never updated the firmware for it. I can try that though, didn't think of it.

Collapse -
Broadcast SSID? Hmmmmm. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 24, 2007 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try

When you broadcast the SSID it tells the world you're out there. Not good. Yes, broadcast the SSID when setting up the wireless connection so the wireless PC can find it. Set it up, then turn SSID off. The PC will still connect but you're not letting everyone know you're there.

Collapse -
This is why we use WPA today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

Your advise of not broadcasting SSID has a big downside. There are too many laptops and devices that suffer limited connectivity with it disabled. If you are willing to supply a fix for this that would be great.

So here's what we find works-> Broadcast the SSID and turn on WPA.

Collapse -
Nope. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 25, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

When I or you turn on a laptop (or desktop with a wireless NIC) it searches for wireless networks. SSID broadcasts show up. That's fine for most people. On my network at home I have it turned off. Reason being is that with SSID turned on everyone can see me. I can see at least five neighbors. If I were so inclined I could try to hack into them. But after I set up a laptop for my system by turning SSID on so the laptop can find it, I turn SSID off.

My brother came to visit and wanted to go on line with his laptop. I said go for it. After a few minutes he told me my network was not working. I said sure it is. I turned on SSID, he found it, I gave him the WPA key, he logged on, I turned SSID off. He still logs on and so do I with my laptops.

SSID is a big flag telling the world, "HERE I AM!"

Limited connectivity? Yep, that's the plan. The unwanted desktop or laptop cannot find a valid signal. Fine by me, it keeps hackers out of my system.

Make sense?

Collapse -
Yup. Failed implementation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope. . .

This notes how to find the SSID even if the owner turned it off. The kiddie script (hack) tools already use this so turning it off no longer has the payback it once had.

Since many suffer drops and worse with it disabled I now just leave it on and pick a fun SSID such as VIRUSFARM, TROJANMEAT or any one of other inviting names then move to WPA for the security.

Collapse -
When I open my
by PudgyOne / August 25, 2007 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope. . .

Intel ProSet wireless, I have it look for wireless connections. It finds all the connections in the neighborhood, It might say SSID not broadcast but I can still see that it's there. So what is the purpose to hide the SSID if I can still see the connection?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.